LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Jerry Rice says "the Niners are struggling."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are struggling on Offense.

But with all respect to the GOAT, he sucks as a commentator.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Finally someone intelligent.

I respectfully disagree sir to an extent. With a few very simple mistakes that almost happened we could easily have let GB grab it, and lost one more.

Jerry Rice knows what it is like to dominate.

He is just saying we have work to do and the line in the sand is thin.

That is why for yet another reason he will always be the greatest ever.

We have work to do. And it doesn't take much for us to be 1-4 when you watch those games.

You want a Superbowl?

Separate yourselves.

The 49ers utterly crushed Houston and St Louis, they were in control of both of those games from the get-go. I can use the same logic by saying that with a few different plays, the 49ers could have beat Indy and could now be 4-1.

Reality dictates that the 49ers are closer to 4-1 than they are 1-4. Also, the 49ers are now past the toughest part of their schedule, they literally have like two winning teams remaining on their schedule, the Saints and the Seahawks, those look like tough games but they realistically, at least on paper, should win every other game. If that holds, it would be a 12-4 season, after all the injuries all the struggles, I think that would be an optimal outcome, especially as the team gets healthier, so no, what Rice said is pretty ridiculous, this team has struggled but they are still one of the better teams in the NFL and have a very dominant defense that will only get better when people like Willis and Aldon return and guys like Eric Wright, Carradine and Dial join the team.

The 49ers have played 4 2012 playoff teams in their first 5 games, now they are past that and get a few relative cupcakes on the menu. If you had told me that the 49ers would be 3-2 after this brutal 5 game early season schedule, injuries or not I would have been perfectly content. The most important thing is that the 49ers are moving upwards, they struggled against Seattle and Indy and have now gained some momentum after clobbering both St Louis and Houston.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Putting this as delicately as possible... Rice has never been among the best of analysts.
Originally posted by vaden:
Putting this as delicately as possible... Rice has never been among the best of analysts.

Michael "Helluva Drug" Irvin is a better analyst than Rice.
We have work to do. And it doesn't take much for us to be 1-4 when you watch those games.

How? The only games where we were outgunned and out coached were the ones we loss, vs Seattle and Indy and the Indy game could have been a W if not for the atrocious play calling and change of game plan in the second half.

Against Green Bay, it was a duel, tug of war. But in the end, we came out victorious. But against St. Louis and Houston, not even people in these respective fan bases will tell you that they outplayed us or that it was even close. We clearly dominated them in almost about every aspect which resulted to huge blowout wins for the team.

Are we perfect? NO. But to say we could easily be a 1-4 team is pretty clueless.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

How? The only games where we were outgunned and out coached were the ones we loss, vs Seattle and Indy and the Indy game could have been a W if not for the atrocious play calling and change of game plan in the second half.

Against Green Bay, it was a duel, tug of war. But in the end, we came out victorious. But against St. Louis and Houston, not even people in these respective fan bases will tell you that they outplayed us or that it was even close. We clearly dominated them in almost about every aspect which resulted to huge blowout wins for the team.

Are we perfect? NO. But to say we could easily be a 1-4 team is pretty clueless.

Seattle could easily be 2-3 instead of 4-1.
He's absolutely right, and anyone who doesn't agree is in denial. Just cause we whooped the over rated Texans and Rams doesn't mean squat. We lost two games against two young, hungry, good, playoff teams. Actually we got whooped by them (don't care how close it was UNTIL the 4th against Indy, we got whooped in clutch time), and we have only one win in 5 games that was a good win.

We are struggling, and we are working through it. Will we get over it? Hells yes.. and I'm sure rice agrees. The man knows what it means to be a CONSISTENT good team.. and right now we are not. (Last year we couldn't win three in a row, and so far we are 3-2 this year).

I predict the worst is behind us, it will be a gradual rise, but we will get better BECAUSE of these struggles.
[ Edited by tondiman on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
So now jerry doesn't know what he's talking about....that's what some are believing?

If he thinks this team could easily be 1-4, he's f**king delirious, past accomplishments aside.

I remember some former Cowboys, guys like Leon Lett and Tony Tolbert talking about how they barely follow the team and only catch what is going on through SportsCenter or the NFL Network, I think that is exactly what's going on with Jerry. You don't have to be a visionary to know that this team has been struggling but I think he way overrated the degree to which they've struggled.
Originally posted by tondiman:
He's absolutely right, and anyone who doesn't agree is in denial. Just cause we whooped the over rated Texans and Rams doesn't mean squat. We lost two games against two young, hungry, good, playoff teams. Actually we got whooped by them (don't care how close it was UNTIL the 4th against Indy, we got whooped in clutch time), and we have only one win in 5 games that was a good win.

We are struggling, and we are working through it. Will we get over it? Hells yes.. and I'm sure rice agrees. The man knows what it means to be a CONSISTENT good team.. and right now we are not. (Last year we couldn't win three in a row, and so far we are 3-2 this year).

I predict the worst is behind us, it will be a gradual rise, but we will get better BECAUSE of these struggles.

Meh. The defense played fine in both of those games, the 49ers only major issue right now is the injuries that have left the receivers corps entirely depleted. Once these receivers get healthy and are able to contribute, those problems will fade away. The defense for the most part has played lights out, they kept Luck to about 150 yards, Russell Wilson had a QB rating of 20 or so at the end of the 3rd quarter in the Seattle game, in both games, bad playcalling on offense, bad strategy, getting away from the run game and the inability for receivers to create separation is what killed the 49ers. So no, I ain't scurred, 49ers are still clearly one of the top teams in the NFL and as they get healthier, will become a far more dangerous team, if this offense ever catches up with the defense.....
lol...

Well played, 49erway. Well played.

Our first 5 games were against 4 playoff teams and a team that owned us last year...Ill take 3-2 heading into a cakewalk stretch.

Not worried.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We are 3-2.

To say we are struggling seems pretty innocuous and perhaps even reasonable.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
We need a better receivers coach. One thing our young receivers have in common is they suck and a lot of it is the product of poor coaching.
Obviously.

1. Major injuries.
2. Major injuries.
3. Young star in rehab.
4. Questionable play calling for a few games,
5. Having to adjust how they play on both sides of the ball due to the injuries and rehab.
6. Not so major but debilitating injuries.
7. Fixing special teams with money and adding defense and a solid TE only to find your great WR core entering the season is not on the field.

No this isn't a draft problem, or an "our staff is stupid" problem, or a "they can't evaluate talent" problem, or a "Cam Newton would save the day" thing, or a "BJ Daniels is the next great thing and I called it cause I play fantasy football" retardation.

I think it is a lot more complex than that.

The way I see it this team was put together to win the Bowl this year and unexpected things have happened.

This made me LOL
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Michael "Helluva Drug" Irvin is a better analyst than Rice.

Truth...
Share 49ersWebzone