There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Fangio says he's skeptical on how Wright,Carradine or Dial can help

First 5 games of 2013 Season

Justin Smith has played 52/63 snaps, 63/78 snaps, 57/72 snaps, 45/69 snaps and 62/77 snaps.

Ray McDonald has played 57/63 snaps, 67/78 snaps, 56/72 snaps, 55/69 snaps, 45/77 snaps

First 5 games of 2012 Season

Justin Smith played 70/72 snaps, 65/65 snaps, 72/79 snaps, 50/53 snaps and 41/46 snaps.

Ray McDonald played 72/72 snaps, 64/65 snaps, 75/79 snaps, 50/53 snaps and 41/46 snaps.

How can you claim with a straight face that they AREN'T rotating more on the defensive line???? Injuries aside its clear that both Justin Smith and Ray McDonald are rotating out at a higher rate than ever before.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM ]
Deleted...

Said it in a much simpler way below...
[ Edited by trellblaze on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Justin Smith has played 52/63 snaps, 63/78 snaps, 57/72 snaps, 45/69 snaps and 62/77 snaps.

Ray McDonald has played 57/63 snaps, 67/78 snaps, 56/72 snaps, 55/69 snaps, 45/77 snaps

Justin Smith played 70/72 snaps, 65/65 snaps, 72/79 snaps, 50/53 snaps and 41/46 snaps.

Ray McDonald played 72/72 snaps, 64/65 snaps, 75/79 snaps, 50/53 snaps and 41/46 snaps.

How can you claim with a straight face that they AREN'T rotating more on the defensive line???? Injuries aside its clear that both Justin Smith and Ray McDonald are rotating out at a higher rate than ever before.

People saw the headline and reacted to it. Instead of See>Think>React, it's simply See>React. I'm sure if we asked how many people even read the article that the headline came from before commenting the percentage would be pretty low.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Wow, am I the only one who read the article?

"To get in shape and run with the strength coaches and the trainers and do drills is one thing, but football is another," Fangio said. "And he's learning our system in meetings. But learning it in a meeting and executing it on the field are two different things. "

He said the issue is more pronounced for Carradine, a second-round pick, and for nose tackle Quinton Dial, a fifth-round selection. Fangio said that in a normal circumstance rookies would get up to speed with an NFL defense first in OTAs practices, then in training camp then the preseason.

"So here we are right dead in the middle of the regular season and these guys have missed all those steps," Fangio said, "So when they're ready, and I have no idea when that'll be, they'll place them. We'll activate them and play them. But until then I think it'd be a mistake to put them out there too early."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/10/fangio-skeptical-about-how-soon-tank-carradine-others-can-contribute.html#storylink=cpy

He's not skeptical how they can contribute to the defense, he's skeptical how ready they will be considering our players have been practicing, running defensive plays, etc. for nearly 2.5 months now... and the rooks have only 1 week to catch up.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
the defense. I tell you what Fangio just run J Smith,McDonald,Dorsey and Brooks into the ground like you did last season. I'm absolutely mindboggled at the lack of rotation on our defensive line during games. I don't know why we get so worked up about draft picks because we draft them and never utilize our depth. There's absolutely no reason for Smith and company to be playing that many snaps a game.

He said "how soon" they can help, not that they can't help. He's talking about coming off injury, getting into game shape.
Originally posted by susweel:
fangio is a dick

susweel always brings the lulz.

lmao, he's a good doot.
Originally posted by Ether:

"To get in shape and run with the strength coaches and the trainers and do drills is one thing, but football is another," Fangio said. "And he's learning our system in meetings. But learning it in a meeting and executing it on the field are two different things. "

He said the issue is more pronounced for Carradine, a second-round pick, and for nose tackle Quinton Dial, a fifth-round selection. Fangio said that in a normal circumstance rookies would get up to speed with an NFL defense first in OTAs practices, then in training camp then the preseason.

"So here we are right dead in the middle of the regular season and these guys have missed all those steps," Fangio said, "So when they're ready, and I have no idea when that'll be, they'll place them. We'll activate them and play them. But until then I think it'd be a mistake to put them out there too early."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/10/fangio-skeptical-about-how-soon-tank-carradine-others-can-contribute.html#storylink=cpy

He's not skeptical how they can contribute to the defense, he's skeptical how ready they will be considering our players have been practicing, running defensive plays, etc. for nearly 2.5 months now... and the rooks have only 1 week to catch up.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
the defense. I tell you what Fangio just run J Smith,McDonald,Dorsey and Brooks into the ground like you did last season. I'm absolutely mindboggled at the lack of rotation on our defensive line during games. I don't know why we get so worked up about draft picks because we draft them and never utilize our depth. There's absolutely no reason for Smith and company to be playing that many snaps a game.

He said "how soon" they can help, not that they can't help. He's talking about coming off injury, getting into game shape.

These. Geez

Agreed Pheonix...think some are just skeptical of Fangio as he "seems" reluctant to rotate as evidenced by his history. And I think with Aldon, Willis, Williams out and McDonald not close to 100% (he's always nicked up), fans are more concerned about the quality of our depth and whether or not that depth WILL be used. Remember, we just played 4 playoff teams, a few power running teams and one in-division team that had our number. We had many troubles getting off the field on 3rd downs at times, collapsed in the 4th Q when it mattered most and our offense and ST did nothing to help matters. So it's more about the "quality" at this point.

That said, I do agree with Fangio in that you don't just throw bodies out there to rotate. They need to be quality players with little to no drop off from the starters. Period. He doesn't know what he has yet in Dial or Tank or to a lesser degree, Wright. So slow down everyone, he's cautioning. Wright, by FAR has the steepest climb in our defense d/t the coverage schems, his skill set, where he'll fit in and contributions. Dial and Tank just need a handful of game snaps to start getting their football legs back and progress from there. Mentally, these boys should be ready to go. We don't run a complicated 3-4 scheme here and RDE and NT are probably the two easiest positions to learn. They've been in the class room since day 1 and are being taught by Tomsula, the best DL coach in all of football. They are ready...they have probably been healthy for quite some time as well and just had to wait until week 6 to come off the NFI list. They will be learning in-game with the best in the business as well (Justin, Ray and another veteran in Dorsey). No worries...they are ready to start getting a few snaps a game!
Fangio's comments are reasonable. I wouldn't look past our current roster for a rotation until end of november. No chance for Seymour? Okoye's rehab going ok?
Originally posted by Ether:

These. Geez

lol this and lol this
that's just his way of not revealing how good they are to anyone else. he said the same s**t about reid acting like he wasn't going to start and that he was indifferent to his play

if anything we should be encouraged...whenever vic doesn't praise someone it usually means they're beasts

they are and it's showing up. we're going to be just fine
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
haters gonna hate
zoners gonna zone
midgets gonna stay small
fat chics gonna eat
Fangio gonna fangina

Are you drunk bro?

I'm always drunk in here, bro. This place is more entertaining than my work... I work with a lot of clowns
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
that's just his way of not revealing how good they are to anyone else. he said the same s**t about reid acting like he wasn't going to start and that he was indifferent to his play

if anything we should be encouraged...whenever vic doesn't praise someone it usually means they're beasts

I think he's just being realistic in saying that they haven't proven or earned anything yet. He can't reveal anything about their abilities on the NFL level because he doesn't know anything about it yet. They haven't participated in a single NFL practice. The same thing was true about Reid at the time he said it.

Fangio just states the facts instead of expressing over-sensationalized high hopes. "Here is player X. I haven't seen him do squat on the NFL level. Therefore I don't know for a fact if he'll be able to contribute or not. I don't care about expectations or what someone else says player X can or can't do. I haven't seen anything so player X is a blank slate as far as I'm concerned"

It's just like that. People read way too much into his very simple and straight forward responses. Fangio isn't trying to downplay or down talk anybody. In his eyes, Player X is a nobody until he proves otherwise. Simple as that.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Fangio and Tomsula will have both players ready in 5 weeks time. After this week's game, both players can return to practice and not count against the 53 man roster. The 49ers have 3 weeks to determine if they are fit for regular season play. And assuming they are activated at that point of time, Tank and Dial will have one more additional week due to a BYE in the schedule.

That's basically 1.25 months of practice, weight room, conditioning, and film review before stepping on the field...against the Carolina Panthers, a great test game for the rookies.