There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Fangio says he's skeptical on how Wright,Carradine or Dial can help

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The last 2 games - a total of 14 points given up including no TD's by a top 5 offense...

Web Zone response: "fangio is a dick"

LOL

hahahaha
I'm not saying Fangio isn't a good d-coordinator. He just uses his starters entirely to much and that leads to the them being spent in the 2nd half of the season and being injured.
Mentally they should be good to go...not like they haven't been in the class since day 1. Who knows as they may have been healthy for a while as well. Now they slowly come in as subs, get in football shape and grow as the season progresses.
Also, let's keep in mind that Glenn Dorsey was supposed to be spelling Ian Williams and Justin Smith, but now he's stuck at NT because of Williams injury.
Keep in mind Dobbs missed a game but has played some in the rotation and the loss of Ian Williams really hurt the rotation. Fangio is probably saying what many coaches are thinking just because Tank and Dial can practice next week doesn't mean they know their assignments or are anywhere near game shape.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Keep in mind Dobbs missed a game but has played some in the rotation and the loss of Ian Williams really hurt the rotation. Fangio is probably saying what many coaches are thinking just because Tank and Dial can practice next week doesn't mean they know their assignments or are anywhere near game shape.

I agree regarding Wright. But Tank and Dial play on the DL in a vanilla 3-4. Their assignments will be in predictable sets, Im sure.
Well tough Fangio! We've lost Aldon and Ian Williams and now Ray is a bit dinged. It's time to let these kids come in and get some playing time. Doesn't have to be all at once. Just bring them in (not at the same time) for a series or two to get their feet wet. Don't think we have a choice. Like the others have said, you run the our starters into the ground and come playoff time they are shot.
SMH... Yeah lets rush two rooks who are 9/10 not in game shape, and have had no reps in practice, ota, camp or anything. Arm chair coaches/gms... smh
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM ]
For example last Sunday do we really need to play J Smith and Brooks up 34 to 3. No, you put those guys on the bench and play Dobbs and Jerrod-Eddie.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Well tough Fangio! We've lost Aldon and Ian Williams and now Ray is a bit dinged. It's time to let these kids come in and get some playing time. Doesn't have to be all at once. Just bring them in (not at the same time) for a series or two to get their feet wet. Don't think we have a choice. Like the others have said, you run the our starters into the ground and come playoff time they are shot.

Tomsula is the best line coach in the game...part of rehab is getting in great shape FOR football. A backup NT and RDE won't take too long to get in football in-game shape. We have a 6 week grace period here.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah how hard is it to line up a 350 pound NT and have him 2-gap and collapse the step-up lane once in a while while spelling Dorsey? Fang...allergic to rotations.

Yeah, I understand where he is coming from, but give me a break. They have no depth on the d line and their 2nd best lineman has a partially torn bicep. I'm not real interested in just how ready they are, sometimes you have to get thrown in and either sink or swim.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,221
he also said the kid would not start at safety either,,, typical coaches spin to throw people off
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah how hard is it to line up a 350 pound NT and have him 2-gap and collapse the step-up lane once in a while while spelling Dorsey? Fang...allergic to rotations.

Yeah, I understand where he is coming from, but give me a break. They have no depth on the d line and their 2nd best lineman has a partially torn bicep. I'm not real interested in just how ready they are, sometimes you have to get thrown in and either sink or swim.

Agreed...this is one of those cases no doubt!
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,052
There has been more rotation on the defensive line this year.

In the first 5 games last year, Justin Smith played 95.2% of the snaps. This year, he has played 77.8% of the snaps in the first 5 games.

In the first 4 games last year, Ray McDonald played 96.75% of the snaps. This year, he has played 83.5% in the first four games.
Considering Carradine and Dial haven't practiced a snap or played a game it will take them time before they can be ready to contribute. Could be weeks down the road. Dial might get more since there is no backup for Dorsey but Carradine could take some time before replacing Dobbs and TJE who have been with the team for years. Same with Wright... pretty clear who our 1-3 CB's are and I'm not sure he's better than Cox at 4 either. He'd probably be fighting with Asomugha for the 5th spot. Could keep both and cut Morris or keep Wright or Asomugha at 5 and then Morris would be 6.

And like Buck said he's rotated a lot more this year. I seen backups in at the end of the 1st quarter/start of 2nd this year on a few occasions. Last year they didn't come in until late 3rd or 4th. Even when we were blowing teams out they didn't come out.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM ]