LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

The McBLT is back....for a limited time only!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the overreactions on here are hilarious! They signed Skelton, they obviously feel like MCBLT is better, so what? Sure we have depth issues on the DL and WR problems. We are also up against the cap so signing someone to fix those problems is next to impossible, signing new 3rd string QBs doesn't cost anything. I'm also a little puzzled here but honestly, that's because I'm not a NFL football coach or GM. Harbaugh/Baalke are around this team day in and day out, they know more about the players we haven't even seen hit the field yet than we do.
It's not like the 3rd QB matters at all, but this is still a puzzling sequence of moves.
Originally posted by matt49er:
the overreactions on here are hilarious!

Let's face it. The Web Zone is a great place to go if you need a big dose of overreaction just for laughs.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

BREAKING ... McLeod Bethel-Thompson's preseason stats: 33 of 52, 320 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 85.4 rating. #49ers

Originally posted by sspiker:
It's not like the 3rd QB matters at all, but this is still a puzzling sequence of moves.

MBT wasn't available, they signed Skelton, MBT became available, they cut Skelton loose. Obviously they value Thompson more than they value Skelton, not sure why people make this so complex.

If you don't want your mind blown, please don't read this brief post about the #49ers recent history @ backup QB...

* McLeod Bethel-Thompson was released in 2011 to make room for Scott Tolzien. * Scott Tolzien was released to make room for B.J. Daniels * B.J. Daniels was released to make room for John Skelton * John Skelton was released to make room for ... wait for it, wait for it ... McLeod Bethel Thompson. Are you still conscious? Did you at least feel queasy? – Matt Barrows less than a minute ago
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by thl408:
There are major issues at WR, OL depth, and DL depth, but the front office is dicking around with the backup QB position. Who cares, I guess. If the backup QB ever sees the field, the season is lost anyway and the team might as well tank for a better draft pick.

What makes you think they aren't looking at improving all over the roster? Or are you under the impression that a team can only focus on a single position at any one given time? We know the 49ers have talked to teams about WR's, we know they reached out to Richard Seymour after Aldon went to rehab, clearly they've been looking to upgrade this team and are not leaving any stone unturned.

Point taken.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

BREAKING ... McLeod Bethel-Thompson's preseason stats: 33 of 52, 320 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 85.4 rating. #49ers
BJ Daniels' preseason stats: God-tier

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Lol were going to be the laughing stock of the league soon

Do you pay attention when another team in the league makes a change to their #3 QB? I thought not. The only NFL fans who will even notice that this move happened most likely are those residing on this board. I think the 49ers can keep their chins up without being embarrassed about flip-flopping on third stringer who will never see the field. Most fans of teams can't even name their #3 QB.

That said, though I certainly don't understand the move, I won't make judgements about it when I am ignorant as to what the actual thought process was. They really must not have seen BJ as being anywhere near play-time ready. I also guess they have a bunch of back-ups ranked in order on some board in HQ. Apparently MBC was higher on the list than Skelton.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
MBT wasn't available, they signed Skelton, MBT became available, they cut Skelton loose. Obviously they value Thompson more than they value Skelton, not sure why people make this so complex.

The reason we're perplexed is very simple: they OBVIOUSLY valued Skelton over Daniels, so they dumped Daniels; but then they valued Bethel-Thompson over Skelton, so they dumped Skelton; but they valued Tolzien over Bethel-Thompson, so they dumped Bethel-Thomspon; but they valued Daniels over Tolzien, so they dumped Tolzien; but they valued Skelton over Daniels...
If you don't want your mind blown, please don't read this brief post about the #49ers recent history @ backup QB...

* McLeod Bethel-Thompson was released in 2011 to make room for Scott Tolzien.

* Scott Tolzien was released to make room for B.J. Daniels

* B.J. Daniels was released to make room for John Skelton

* John Skelton was released to make room for ... wait for it, wait for it ... McLeod Bethel Thompson.

Are you still conscious? Did you at least feel queasy? – Matt Barrows 8 minutes ago

[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM ]
Maybe he was originally releases hoping they could get him on the practice squad and Miami beat them to it.
If the team got any intel on the Tards from Skelton whatsoever it helped, except AZ hired a new GM/coaching staff so probably not. Switching him out for McBLT is otherwise irrelevant.
Share 49ersWebzone