There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The McBLT is back....for a limited time only!

Originally posted by Rascal:
Harbaugh has made the 9ers look like a complete joke and an unprofessional outfit with this whole back-up QB debacle.

Just think about the ridiculous chain of events, Josh Johnson was a pretty decent back-up, then they dumped him for the crappy Tolzien, followed by signing an even more crappy McCoy and later dumping Tolzien. Then, he brought in Seneca Wallace and didn't even evaluate him properly by giving him only 2 mins of garbage time in a preseason game, basically using him just to force McCoy to take a paycut. The worst of all was to cut a promising young QB in BJ to deliver him on a silver platter to the Seahawks to sign a well known scrub in Skelton only to be dumped again days later for MBT.

If I was a QB, I wouldn't touch the 9ers.

Why don't you watched McBLT's video that was posted before you make such assertions. Here is a direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LvvTUF6E6a8
Originally posted by buck:
Harbaugh has made the 9ers look like a complete joke and an unprofessional outfit with this whole back-up QB debacle.

This reminds me of the public relations fiasco with the stadium.

Such a joke that they laughed their way into the last 2 NFC championship games and the last Super Bowl and still regarded as one of the top teams in the league... Nobody cares about the backup qb unless you have a horrible starter..
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
At some point the front office will lose credibility with free agents. They bothered to talk up the merits of Skelton. They guy canceled a workout with Tennessee because he said the Niners had been truthful with him and he felt comfortable taking their offer. Treating someone that shabbily might make other players think twice. I don't know if there is a corollary to Freddy P. Soft, but there definitely is an arrogance that has crept into the front office.

LOL. What free agents? You do realize that there's a reason Skelton was available in Week 5 for a 3rd QB position. He wasn't assured of anything and there's always a lot of turnover with such players. The FO will not lose credibility with anyone, and if they were to call Skelton himself again next week he would happily come back.

Free agents are current and future prospects that are not under contract that the Niners might want to entice to join the team. If you publicly talk someone up, like Alex Smith, or Colt McCoy, or Skelton, and then turn around and discard them, you will develop a reputation for not being straight shooters and duplicitous. That may not be the most significant factor in free agency, but if a prospect has options he might consider the trustworthiness of the people he is dealing with to be a tipping factor in his decision. Furthermore, the 3rd QB carousel just makes them look like clowns, which could also hurt the reputation. As many have pointed out, if we're down to Bethel-Page or Skelton, then we're sunk anyway. So why aren't we just sticking with the guy we thought enough of to draft and try to develop him. After the brain fart of letting Daniels slip away from our division rival, they're playing musical chairs with guys who will never see the field unless out team and playoff hopes are utterly decimated. So, with that backdrop, what is the point of signing a guy, talking up his praises as justification for signing him, and then immediately dumping him. They look clueless and arrogant, and that might register with some prospective free agent in the future. LOL on that.

Lol, honestly....the joke is really on the media and the masses. Yes their moves with the backup made little sense. However you can bet these free agents that come in and visit the 49ers fully understand that it's all business, and nothing personal. And everything spoken to the media is not important, because what we and the media think have absolutely ZERO effect on the 49ers success.

Seriously, if you're an NFL player, why would you not want to market yourself to a successful NFL franchise?

Because I might make just as much money marketing myself to another franchise that won't pull the rug out from under me three weeks after my signing. The NFL is a business, yes. And business people who don't seem to have a plan and vacillate don't encourage confidence in their business partners. With the 3rd QB thing the FO is just acting like a schoolboy with ADHD.
Originally posted by verb1der:
At some point the front office will lose credibility with free agents. They bothered to talk up the merits of Skelton. They guy canceled a workout with Tennessee because he said the Niners had been truthful with him and he felt comfortable taking their offer. Treating someone that shabbily might make other players think twice. I don't know if there is a corollary to Freddy P. Soft, but there definitely is an arrogance that has crept into the front office.

LOL. What free agents? You do realize that there's a reason Skelton was available in Week 5 for a 3rd QB position. He wasn't assured of anything and there's always a lot of turnover with such players. The FO will not lose credibility with anyone, and if they were to call Skelton himself again next week he would happily come back.

Free agents are current and future prospects that are not under contract that the Niners might want to entice to join the team. If you publicly talk someone up, like Alex Smith, or Colt McCoy, or Skelton, and then turn around and discard them, you will develop a reputation for not being straight shooters and duplicitous. That may not be the most significant factor in free agency, but if a prospect has options he might consider the trustworthiness of the people he is dealing with to be a tipping factor in his decision. Furthermore, the 3rd QB carousel just makes them look like clowns, which could also hurt the reputation. As many have pointed out, if we're down to Bethel-Page or Skelton, then we're sunk anyway. So why aren't we just sticking with the guy we thought enough of to draft and try to develop him. After the brain fart of letting Daniels slip away from our division rival, they're playing musical chairs with guys who will never see the field unless out team and playoff hopes are utterly decimated. So, with that backdrop, what is the point of signing a guy, talking up his praises as justification for signing him, and then immediately dumping him. They look clueless and arrogant, and that might register with some prospective free agent in the future. LOL on that.

Lol, honestly....the joke is really on the media and the masses. Yes their moves with the backup made little sense. However you can bet these free agents that come in and visit the 49ers fully understand that it's all business, and nothing personal. And everything spoken to the media is not important, because what we and the media think have absolutely ZERO effect on the 49ers success.

Seriously, if you're an NFL player, why would you not want to market yourself to a successful NFL franchise?

Because I might make just as much money marketing myself to another franchise that won't pull the rug out from under me three weeks after my signing. The NFL is a business, yes. And business people who don't seem to have a plan and vacillate don't encourage confidence in their business partners. With the 3rd QB thing the FO is just acting like a schoolboy with ADHD.

I get your point, and in a normal business world, sure.

But is there really a NFL franchise that will guarantee loyalty to a player? Esp and 3rd string QB?! Which is probably the most disposable position in football.
For all of us scratching our heads about the QB situation:

I believe Kaepernick's foot injury is more serious than the 49ers are letting us believe. This is not the coaching staff forcing him to be a pocket passer.

One clue to this being a significant injury is that Kaepernick has lost a step this year for sure. - he is slower..he can't turn the corners like he did last year. The defense is tackling him more readily.

The second clue is the caroussel of revolving back up QBs starting with the release of BJ Daniels. The coaching staff is really concerned about Kaepenicks foot health..If Kaepernick were healthy BJ Daniels would still be #3 - This triggered this panic search for an immediate QB to step in.. They only reason Colt McCoy is still on the roster is because he is familiar wiith the play book. BJ Daniels was not ready. So Kaepernicks lingering foot injury started a quick search for a #2 quarterback if Kaepernick's injury gets worse. They will give the new guy every opportunity to learn the playbook quickly and annoint him #2. As for Skelton? Harbaugh just sees Thompson as the better option to back up Kaepernick..He is more mobile for sure and he knows his talents.

The third clue is Kaepernick's game manager label..Obviously with a serious foot injury, he can only do so much.
[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM ]

Just think about the ridiculous chain of events, Josh Johnson was a pretty decent back-up, then they dumped him for the crappy Tolzien, followed by signing an even more crappy McCoy and later dumping Tolzien. Then, he brought in Seneca Wallace and didn't even evaluate him properly by giving him only 2 mins of garbage time in a preseason game, basically using him just to force McCoy to take a paycut. The worst of all was to cut a promising young QB in BJ to deliver him on a silver platter to the Seahawks to sign a well known scrub in Skelton only to be dumped again days later for MBT.

Just like you used to post.

Let's get a point in here. No qb who is likely to be available for the team to sign is going to turn down the chance to play for the 49ers. No one. Because 3rd string qb's just don't do that. Brady and Luck might, but they aren't in the bracket here.

BJ may or may not be promising. But it doesn't look like Harbaugh thinks so. You can spin that however you want but let's be clear: this is just your spin. There is no factual basis or support whatsoever.

And nobody outside of the fanbase gives a damn. It's a 3rd string qb for Christs sake. It doesn't make the team look foolish, unprofessional or any damn thing. They are just a little higher on the food chain than the waterboys. Some teams don't even bother with them.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Yes, this is truly a WTF move!

Bethel-Thompson > Skelton > BJ Daniels > Tolzien > Josh Johnson > Bethel-Thompson ??

It is the 3rd stringer. Why is this even a topic? Let me just say that the only constant is change. Maybe since they had him before he has improved, or they see him as a better fit now. The real question should be ... why are we worrying about it when the collective whole here are not privy to anything related to the team ... right? None of us know a darn thing really. I am not sure if the people inside the organization ever read this drivel, but if they do I bet they laugh their posteriors off at the ramblings of the totally uninformed.

Really? Do you know what other teams have done with backup QBs? Do you know why those players the Niners have signed and later released were available? What did the Patriots do with Tim Tebow? Was that unprofessional? Was it unprofessional what the Bengals did with John Skelton? There is a lot of turnover in backup QB positions, and especially in 3rd string QB positions. Harbaugh did nothing unprofessional and has not made this team a joke except in the minds of obsessed fans who are getting exercised over the 3rd string QB position. Most other people around the country don't even know what is going on with the Niners' 3rd string QB.

But that's just missing the point. A third-stringer isn't supposed to be front page news, but it doesn't mean that he is unimportant. QB is the most important position on the team. It behoves a well run organization to carry a developmental prospect on the roster. In Harbaugh's first year, the team carried TWO developmental guys. Didn't seem to bother them then, but they've strayed from that model this year. They had a guy that fit the development role perfectly and was showing well . . . they confessed to liking him, but they got spooked because some team worked out another player who they thought looked intriguing (a failed veteran on whom there was plenty of film; nevertheless even some "experts" here knew better).

IMO, and evidently, the Niners lost the plot, played roulette and tried to slip their guy by the rest of the league and onto the PS. Except that their biggest rival also had their eye on BJ (something the Niners knew, or should have known) and snatched him. I'm pretty sure that, given the rivalry, there's some amount of chuckling going on by the 'Hawks. Yes, they pwned the Niners on this one.

What makes it look worse is that now it looks like the rest of the league was pretty much right about Skelton. Now the team APPEARS to be scurrying around try to make up for their abandoning a perfectly good scheme. So there probably is some delight being experienced by teams/people who are not fans of the Niners. Also, judging from the way Baalke responded to the questioning on it, the Niners, I think realise thay they made a mistake. It happens and the Team will move on from it.

The team and FO is not infallible as some here on the 'zone would have us believe.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by buck:

This reminds me of the public relations fiasco with the stadium.

Such a joke that they laughed their way into the last 2 NFC championship games and the last Super Bowl and still regarded as one of the top teams in the league... Nobody cares about the backup qb unless you have a horrible starter..

The public relations fiasco never happened.

Harbaugh has not made the 49ers look a joke, much less a complete joke.

Some posters just are......., well just are.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Really? Do you know what other teams have done with backup QBs? Do you know why those players the Niners have signed and later released were available? What did the Patriots do with Tim Tebow? Was that unprofessional? Was it unprofessional what the Bengals did with John Skelton? There is a lot of turnover in backup QB positions, and especially in 3rd string QB positions. Harbaugh did nothing unprofessional and has not made this team a joke except in the minds of obsessed fans who are getting exercised over the 3rd string QB position. Most other people around the country don't even know what is going on with the Niners' 3rd string QB.

But that's just missing the point. A third-stringer isn't supposed to be front page news, but it doesn't mean that he is unimportant. QB is the most important position on the team. It behoves a well run organization to carry a developmental prospect on the roster. In Harbaugh's first year, the team carried TWO developmental guys. Didn't seem to bother them then, but they've strayed from that model this year. They had a guy that fit the development role perfectly and was showing well . . . they confessed to liking him, but they got spooked because some team worked out another player who they thought looked intriguing (a failed veteran on whom there was plenty of film; nevertheless even some "experts" here knew better).

IMO, and evidently, the Niners lost the plot, played roulette and tried to slip their guy by the rest of the league and onto the PS. Except that their biggest rival also had their eye on BJ (something the Niners knew, or should have known) and snatched him. I'm pretty sure that, given the rivalry, there's some amount of chuckling going on by the 'Hawks. Yes, they pwned the Niners on this one.

What makes it look worse is that now it looks like the rest of the league was pretty much right about Skelton. Now the team APPEARS to be scurrying around try to make up for their abandoning a perfectly good scheme. So there probably is some delight being experienced by teams/people who are not fans of the Niners. Also, judging from the way Baalke responded to the questioning on it, the Niners, I think realise thay they made a mistake. It happens and the Team will move on from it.

The team and FO is not infallible as some here on the 'zone would have us believe.

No one is saying the FO is infallible. However, first, the FO ALWAYS has much more information about players than we do. That doesn't mean they can't get it wrong, but it means that we don't know why they make certain decisions and overreacting to them is simply irrational. Second, it's one thing to believe that the FO might make mistakes, but it's another thing to make categorical, exaggerated statements like "Harbaugh is making the Niners look like a joke," all because we are exercised over movements the team has made for the 3rd string QB position. As for carrying a developmental QB, can you tell me which successful organization today carries a developmental 3rd string QB and who this QB might be?
Man, NT can justify ANY move, can't they? Still lauging thinking about all the justifications for Skelton over Daniels (who will probably end up being Seattle's #2 next year) only to watch Skelton get canned for McBLT. Good times. Good times indeed. It's OK people, contrary to popular belief, this FO does make mistakes and will have the occassional head-scratcher-move. Sometimes it's just as simple as that. We may never truly know what the true rationale is for this move and many before it so we'll just have to continue to drawn our OWN conclusions bsed on the limited perspectives we have and see what the future holds...come back some day and assess further as best we can.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM ]
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 11m Why McBLT? Roman said the 49ers felt his preseason tape in Minnesota "was pretty darn good."

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 11m Why McBLT? Roman said the 49ers felt his preseason tape in Minnesota "was pretty darn good."

LMAO! Well, there it is...better than Daniels and Skelton!
Much Ado About Nothing.

Play the damn game already.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

But that's just missing the point.

I highlighted the point that was raised.

How did the responding poster miss the point? Do you think that Harbaugh has made team look like a complete joke?

Who exactly thinks the team and the front office are infallible?