There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The McBLT is back....for a limited time only!

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Yeah, dude is horrible

He sure is but he's no worse than everyone's preseason star or John Skelton for crying out loud. The search continues. I seriously like the move. I am not comfortable with McCoy in any situation and I'd be more upset if the 49ers just sat back and did nothing. Hoping that Kap stays healthy is not going to cut it. The position needs to be upgraded and I love that the 49ers are proactive in doing anything they can to make it happen. Way too many arm chair GM's in here with pms.
First I think we're making waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much of who might be backing up Colt McCoy because until further notice McCoy IS our backup to Kap. Secondly this latest qb move might be part of something larger. Gotta have faith in our front office.
Maybe they keep looking for an adequate back-up because Kap may be secretly nursing an injury nobody knows about?
I think we're useing 3rd string as a clone of who we play next Bj= Russell - Skelton =Schaub - Thompson = Palmer a lot of teams are not useing 3rd string QB so we maybe useing it as a weekly swing position
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
First I think we're making waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much of who might be backing up Colt McCoy because until further notice McCoy IS our backup to Kap. Secondly this latest qb move might be part of something larger. Gotta have faith in our front office.

also it does not matter who the back up is, if ck gets hurt we are in trouble no matter who it is. if that happens just gotta hope that we run the ball well, defense and special teams is good and the unknown quarterback makes no mistakes
:)
[ Edited by westcoastchamp on Oct 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
lmao, it's a good god damn 3rd QB, why is everyone ready to crucify Baalke and Harbaugh Their record shows they know there s**t, while 99.99% of the webzone, and other boards, and fans dont know what an NFL team knows. Look at how bad guys like Kiper, McShay and Mayock get it wrong on drafted players.

But why say, "We want to bring in an experienced veteran", and then do the exact opposite of that a week later?

Because when reporters ask Harabaugh questions he usually gives them a b******t answer. He probably had several reasons for bringing Skelton and cutting BJ, but doesn't want to explain them all to the media. Maybe he didn't think BJ was developing fast enough but didn't want to say anything to undermine him. So he came up with some explanation. In the end, it's the 3rd string QB position and no one should be that worked up about it.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
lmao, it's a good god damn 3rd QB, why is everyone ready to crucify Baalke and Harbaugh Their record shows they know there s**t, while 99.99% of the webzone, and other boards, and fans dont know what an NFL team knows. Look at how bad guys like Kiper, McShay and Mayock get it wrong on drafted players.

But why say, "We want to bring in an experienced veteran", and then do the exact opposite of that a week later?

Because when reporters ask Harabaugh questions he usually gives them a b******t answer. He probably had several reasons for bringing Skelton and cutting BJ, but doesn't want to explain them all to the media. Maybe he didn't think BJ was developing fast enough but didn't want to say anything to undermine him. So he came up with some explanation. In the end, it's the 3rd string QB position and no one should be that worked up about it.

I'm sure that is exactly the reason for what JH says. He's just tinkering with the 3rd stringer seeing if he can find something decent and doesn't feel like going into the details.
Harbaugh has made the 9ers look like a complete joke and an unprofessional outfit with this whole back-up QB debacle.

Just think about the ridiculous chain of events, Josh Johnson was a pretty decent back-up, then they dumped him for the crappy Tolzien, followed by signing an even more crappy McCoy and later dumping Tolzien. Then, he brought in Seneca Wallace and didn't even evaluate him properly by giving him only 2 mins of garbage time in a preseason game, basically using him just to force McCoy to take a paycut. The worst of all was to cut a promising young QB in BJ to deliver him on a silver platter to the Seahawks to sign a well known scrub in Skelton only to be dumped again days later for MBT.

If I was a QB, I wouldn't touch the 9ers.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

McLeod Bethel-Thompson Has a Good Arm..Welcome to the 49ers

Did you watch this video before posting? He was missing receivers by a mile.

Yeah, dude is horrible

I watched the entire video and I did NOT think "he was missing guys by a mile". He was very accurate most of the time. Sometimes he was under a lot of pressure and still got the ball to his receiver. You have to keep in mind that in this video he was playing against the Houston Texans . . . a very good defense. The Texans are very good at rushing the passer and getting their hands up to bat down passes, so the path of some of his throws had to be adjusted to even get them off. That's not bad passing . . . thats being practical and efficient.

I did see those two long throws down the left sideline that were overthrown, but as the announcer said it looked like he just threw it away. I think that is the smart thing to do when his receivers are well covered. He did over throw one other throw to the left, but it looked to me like the receiver's route had been diverted by good press coverage.

I also noticed that he hit a receiver in stride on a long throw down the left side for a touchdown.

Did you notice how he improvised when necessary? When a pass-rusher was about to hit him he was able to drop the ball off to his running back. In fact, he threw one side-armed to get it around a pass rusher who was jumping up to block his pass.

All in all, I thought he looked pretty good.
[ Edited by davidb on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Harbaugh has made the 9ers look like a complete joke and an unprofessional outfit with this whole back-up QB debacle.

Just think about the ridiculous chain of events, Josh Johnson was a pretty decent back-up, then they dumped him for the crappy Tolzien, followed by signing an even more crappy McCoy and later dumping Tolzien. Then, he brought in Seneca Wallace and didn't even evaluate him properly by giving him only 2 mins of garbage time in a preseason game, basically using him just to force McCoy to take a paycut. The worst of all was to cut a promising young QB in BJ to deliver him on a silver platter to the Seahawks to sign a well known scrub in Skelton only to be dumped again days later for MBT.

If I was a QB, I wouldn't touch the 9ers.

Really? Do you know what other teams have done with backup QBs? Do you know why those players the Niners have signed and later released were available? What did the Patriots do with Tim Tebow? Was that unprofessional? Was it unprofessional what the Bengals did with John Skelton? There is a lot of turnover in backup QB positions, and especially in 3rd string QB positions. Harbaugh did nothing unprofessional and has not made this team a joke except in the minds of obsessed fans who are getting exercised over the 3rd string QB position. Most other people around the country don't even know what is going on with the Niners' 3rd string QB.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for BSofSF.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
At some point the front office will lose credibility with free agents. They bothered to talk up the merits of Skelton. They guy canceled a workout with Tennessee because he said the Niners had been truthful with him and he felt comfortable taking their offer. Treating someone that shabbily might make other players think twice. I don't know if there is a corollary to Freddy P. Soft, but there definitely is an arrogance that has crept into the front office.

LOL. What free agents? You do realize that there's a reason Skelton was available in Week 5 for a 3rd QB position. He wasn't assured of anything and there's always a lot of turnover with such players. The FO will not lose credibility with anyone, and if they were to call Skelton himself again next week he would happily come back.

Free agents are current and future prospects that are not under contract that the Niners might want to entice to join the team. If you publicly talk someone up, like Alex Smith, or Colt McCoy, or Skelton, and then turn around and discard them, you will develop a reputation for not being straight shooters and duplicitous. That may not be the most significant factor in free agency, but if a prospect has options he might consider the trustworthiness of the people he is dealing with to be a tipping factor in his decision. Furthermore, the 3rd QB carousel just makes them look like clowns, which could also hurt the reputation. As many have pointed out, if we're down to Bethel-Page or Skelton, then we're sunk anyway. So why aren't we just sticking with the guy we thought enough of to draft and try to develop him. After the brain fart of letting Daniels slip away from our division rival, they're playing musical chairs with guys who will never see the field unless out team and playoff hopes are utterly decimated. So, with that backdrop, what is the point of signing a guy, talking up his praises as justification for signing him, and then immediately dumping him. They look clueless and arrogant, and that might register with some prospective free agent in the future. LOL on that.
just looking at his name, wouldnt it be McLBT instead of McBLT?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

This reminds me of the public relations fiasco with the stadium.
At some point the front office will lose credibility with free agents. They bothered to talk up the merits of Skelton. They guy canceled a workout with Tennessee because he said the Niners had been truthful with him and he felt comfortable taking their offer. Treating someone that shabbily might make other players think twice. I don't know if there is a corollary to Freddy P. Soft, but there definitely is an arrogance that has crept into the front office.

LOL. What free agents? You do realize that there's a reason Skelton was available in Week 5 for a 3rd QB position. He wasn't assured of anything and there's always a lot of turnover with such players. The FO will not lose credibility with anyone, and if they were to call Skelton himself again next week he would happily come back.

Free agents are current and future prospects that are not under contract that the Niners might want to entice to join the team. If you publicly talk someone up, like Alex Smith, or Colt McCoy, or Skelton, and then turn around and discard them, you will develop a reputation for not being straight shooters and duplicitous. That may not be the most significant factor in free agency, but if a prospect has options he might consider the trustworthiness of the people he is dealing with to be a tipping factor in his decision. Furthermore, the 3rd QB carousel just makes them look like clowns, which could also hurt the reputation. As many have pointed out, if we're down to Bethel-Page or Skelton, then we're sunk anyway. So why aren't we just sticking with the guy we thought enough of to draft and try to develop him. After the brain fart of letting Daniels slip away from our division rival, they're playing musical chairs with guys who will never see the field unless out team and playoff hopes are utterly decimated. So, with that backdrop, what is the point of signing a guy, talking up his praises as justification for signing him, and then immediately dumping him. They look clueless and arrogant, and that might register with some prospective free agent in the future. LOL on that.

Lol, honestly....the joke is really on the media and the masses. Yes their moves with the backup made little sense. However you can bet these free agents that come in and visit the 49ers fully understand that it's all business, and nothing personal. And everything spoken to the media is not important, because what we and the media think have absolutely ZERO effect on the 49ers success.

Seriously, if you're an NFL player, why would you not want to market yourself to a successful NFL franchise?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home