There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The McBLT is back....for a limited time only!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What's Tim Rattay doing these days?

Rattay is the wr coach at La Tech.
I'm really not sure why we need a 3rd QB on the 53 ..would rather get some depth on the D-line like Seymour.. Especially since McDonald is going to playing hurt the rest of the year.
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
Rattay is the wr coach at La Tech.

Great 1st post

Originally posted by Thechad49:
I'm really not sure why we need a 3rd QB on the 53 ..would rather get some depth on the D-line like Seymour.. Especially since McDonald is going to playing hurt the rest of the year.

Seymour wants cap space the 49ers don't have.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Pat White is next

I just want to stop by and drop the "I bet even he can complete 6 passes" remark before KoolBeans or SD does it.
  • 5FDP
  • Veteran
I'm not going to loose any sleep over roster movements involving a third-string QB. It's pretty obvious too that BJ Daniels was drafted as a Wilson clone to prep for the week 2 clash. That obviously didn't work out so he was let go.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great 1st post

Thank you SofaKing. Been reading posts on here for years now, thought I would finally join in.
Knew it! Whats his name again?
I think it's safe to say we're drafting another QB next year
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Knew it! Whats his name again?

McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson
Originally posted by BSofSF:
At some point the front office will lose credibility with free agents. They bothered to talk up the merits of Skelton. They guy canceled a workout with Tennessee because he said the Niners had been truthful with him and he felt comfortable taking their offer. Treating someone that shabbily might make other players think twice. I don't know if there is a corollary to Freddy P. Soft, but there definitely is an arrogance that has crept into the front office.

LOL. What free agents? You do realize that there's a reason Skelton was available in Week 5 for a 3rd QB position. He wasn't assured of anything and there's always a lot of turnover with such players. The FO will not lose credibility with anyone, and if they were to call Skelton himself again next week he would happily come back.
From July 28, 2011 Sac State's Bethel-Thompson to help with 49ers QB load

Smart, big-armed quarterbacks that have been coached up by Bay Area passing guru Roger Theder? The 49ers now have two rookies who fit that description.

The team today signed McLeod Bethel-Thompson, who played at Sacramento State and who most recently has been moonlighting as a backup for the San Jose SaberCats of the Arena League. Bethel-Thomson (6-3, 230) will be put to immediate use. He and second-round draft pick Colin Kaepernick, who also was mentored by Theder, are the only quarterbacks currently on the roster.

Moreover, they are the only two quarterbacks who can take the field when practices begin Friday. Veteran Alex Smith is expected to sign his one-year deal Friday, but like every other veteran free-agent signee, he cannot take part in any practices - full pads or walk-throughs - until the league year begins Aug. 4. The team also released veteran David Carr today. That's why the 49ers needed to add someone like Bethel-Thompson.

Theder believes he's more than a "camp arm." "He reminds me a little of Jim Plunkett," Theder said. "He's got the same sort of tools, maybe a little quicker arm. I think he'll be a good addition for the 49ers. He's smart and he's tough, and those are the things you want in a quarterback." Theder said Bethel-Thompson has a big arm, but it's not quite as strong as Kaepernick's, who had the most powerful arm in this year's draft.

A San Francisco native, Bethel-Thompson played at that city's Balboa High School. He was recruited both by Walt Harris at Stanford and by Jim Harbaugh at San Diego but committed instead to UCLA. He spent two seasons there before transferring to Sacramento State. His sophomore and senior seasons were cut short by injuries.

In February Bethel-Thompson signed on with the SaberCats. His stats this season: 20-43 for 220 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. Theder, however, doesn't feel as if it's the right league for Bethel-Thompson. "His arm is too big for that arena league," he said.
---------------------------------------------------------------

So Harbaugh tried to recruit him in college....I wonder if any of Harbaugh's teams played against him?
Originally posted by sdcindy:
Does that mean the 49ers liked Bethel-Thompson more than BJ Daniels or were they having 2nd thoughts about releasing Daniels in the first place?

I read this posted on another site. He makes a good point:

"So, McLeod Bethel-Thompson was on the practice squad in 2011, but Trent Baalke (and Harbaugh) thought that Scott Tolzien was better than Bethel-Thompson then. Then they thought BJ Daniels was better than Tolzien. Then they thought John Skelton was better than Daniels. And now they think Bethel-Thompson is bettter than Skelton? Looks like they're back to square one."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/10/qb-carousel-49ers-drop-john-skelton-sign-bethel-thompson.html#storylink=cpy

Tolzien won over Bethel-Thompson. BJ Daniels won over Tolzien. Skelton won over BJ Daniels. Bethel-Thompson wins over Skelton. ???

The most confusing part of all of this, was Harbaugh's reasoning for letting go of BJ Daniels to bring in Skelton.
Paraphrasing: "We wanted another veteran. I think that's what we needed to add to that position." So what do they do? They replace that "veteran" with someone who hasn't even attempted a pass in a regular season NFL game, and a player we released for Scott Tolzien.

What pray tell has McLeod Bethel-Thompson done in the last two years to impress the coaches enough to win over all of these other players?
This is definitely the biggest WTF move from the Harbaalke era.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by sdcindy:
Does that mean the 49ers liked Bethel-Thompson more than BJ Daniels or were they having 2nd thoughts about releasing Daniels in the first place?

"So, McLeod Bethel-Thompson was on the practice squad in 2011, but Trent Baalke (and Harbaugh) thought that Scott Tolzien was better than Bethel-Thompson then. Then they thought BJ Daniels was better than Tolzien. Then they thought John Skelton was better than Daniels. And now they think Bethel-Thompson is bettter than Skelton? Looks like they're back to square one."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/10/qb-carousel-49ers-drop-john-skelton-sign-bethel-thompson.html#storylink=cpy

Tolzien won over Bethel-Thompson. BJ Daniels won over Tolzien. Skelton won over BJ Daniels. Bethel-Thompson wins over Skelton. ???

The most confusing part of all of this, was Harbaugh's reasoning for letting go of BJ Daniels to bring in Skelton.
Paraphrasing: "We wanted another veteran. I think that's what we needed to add to that position." So what do they do? They replace that "veteran" with someone who hasn't even attempted a pass in a regular season NFL game, and a player we released for Scott Tolzien.

What pray tell has McLeod Bethel-Thompson done in the last two years to impress the coaches enough to win over all of these other players?

lmao, it's a good god damn 3rd QB, why is everyone ready to crucify Baalke and Harbaugh Their record shows they know there s**t, while 99.99% of the webzone, and other boards, and fans dont know what an NFL team knows. Look at how bad guys like Kiper, McShay and Mayock get it wrong on drafted players.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Which is why it's OK for fans to question management decisions and call them out when we think they're wrong.

It's really frustrating when you use reasoning to form an argument, only for others to fall back on the same old tired point: "So you think you know better than the front office LOL @ you" I NEVER claim to know more than the FO, but things like this make me scratch my head and at least question it. They don't always make the right moves, even if they are the most informed to make sound decisions.

The only thing I can think of that justifies this move is that the 49ers liked what they saw from MBT as he developed with another team, and determined they made a mistake keeping Tolzien over him 2+ years ago. Clearly they think MBT > Tolzien, Daniels, Skelton. I'm cool with that if he is better than all of them.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM ]