There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reinforcements are coming for the 49ers

I 100% guarantee that we will not be trading for Gordon.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
DL - Losing Williams was a big blow IMHO and took us a game to sort out the def scheme. But I highly doubt Tank or Dial could contribute much at all. Maybe Dial to replace Williams, but suspect Tank stays on pup for next year.

WR - To think Manningham or Crabs are going to save this anemic passing attach is naive IMHO. Our offense and passing attack suffer from 1 MAJOR deficiency - no speed threat except from VD - so essentially no outside speed threat. Man and Crabs won't fix that at all.

For that reason, and the fact this team can't seem to draft a WR to save it's life for 15 years - I would pull the trigger on Gordon. Heck, with 9ers track record, there is a 90% chance the WR they select with a 2nd is going to fail anyway. Take a known threat.

(Highly disappointed Patton didn't produce and then got injured - major bummer)

(Oh, and how bad do I stand corrected that losing Crabs might have a silver lining of making Ck spread the ball around more! Oh man, Crabs was way more critical than I gave him credit for. Ouch!)

Crabs and MM will be a huuuuuge boost to our WR situation lol
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
DL - Losing Williams was a big blow IMHO and took us a game to sort out the def scheme. But I highly doubt Tank or Dial could contribute much at all. Maybe Dial to replace Williams, but suspect Tank stays on pup for next year.

WR - To think Manningham or Crabs are going to save this anemic passing attach is naive IMHO. Our offense and passing attack suffer from 1 MAJOR deficiency - no speed threat except from VD - so essentially no outside speed threat. Man and Crabs won't fix that at all.

For that reason, and the fact this team can't seem to draft a WR to save it's life for 15 years - I would pull the trigger on Gordon. Heck, with 9ers track record, there is a 90% chance the WR they select with a 2nd is going to fail anyway. Take a known threat.

(Highly disappointed Patton didn't produce and then got injured - major bummer)

(Oh, and how bad do I stand corrected that losing Crabs might have a silver lining of making Ck spread the ball around more! Oh man, Crabs was way more critical than I gave him credit for. Ouch!)

Yeah. This WR core is pathetic.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Agree. MM isn't a burner but he still finds ways to make plays down the field. A lot of people mistake him for a slot receiver. He's not, he mostly lines up outside and stretches the field.

Crabtree is far more effective on the outside than Boldin. Boldin is still lethal from the slot, but we need a playmaker to be our Z receiver.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM ]
How about a combination of a pick this year and a conditional pick next year for Gordon? Offer the Browns our 3rd, which should be low (hopefully last!) in the round, along with a conditional 5th next year. The 5th can escalate as high as a 2nd depending on Gordon's status on the roster: 5th if he is suspended for the year, 3rd if he plays at least half the year in 2014, 2nd if he plays the whole year for us.

This way the Browns get something for him now, and have the risk of Gordon being suspended shifted to the Niners, but get rewarded if he does indeed play.

For the Niners, they give up a low 3rd in a round they should have 3 picks in for 2014 (assuming a comp for Goldson and KC's pick becoming a 2nd). They still have a 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds this year after the trade, and if Gordon stays out of trouble and plays next year he should be worth a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year (especially with the devaluation of the pick from 2015's draft making it more like a 3rd in present day value, although I'm not sure if the new CBA salary scale alters that conventional wisdom).
[ Edited by Spike1000 on Oct 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM ]
Can someone call Trent and persuade him to rethink his decision?
Manningham is injury prone, every year he's on the IL. He and Kaep were developing chemistry before the injury. As far as Crabtree, he's coming back from a serious injury, I'd rather see the team be cautious with him. Carradine and Dial are rooks with no game-time experience, how much can we rely on them. Wright is another matter, he may be ready to contribute. If any one of these players can come back and be productive it would be a great boost.
A lot of you seem to sell Baldwin, Dobbs and Jerod-Eddie short. We will be fine...the identity has returned and other facets will fall in place.
[ Edited by reasonable1 on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM ]
I thought Carridine was out for the year? Oh well, coo for me.

I wish the team would trade for one more WR. Even with Boldin, crabs, and manny, I would like to see the team have 4WR sets.
I understand that Crabs and Mario are injured or considered injury prone. But what has Gordon done to make him a top WR? Yeah he is a good WR, and there are always risks whenever you sign or trade for someone, but it may be too much of a risk, with a 1yr suspension as a possibility if he fails another drug test, then what? Screwed. Is it worth trading whatever it takes for him, only fornext yr he has a positive test, and suspended 1 yr. Especially if we fall short of Playoffs, or SB.

It's the same overreaction when the "Pay Crabtree whatever he wants" Thread opened, I wouldn't pay him a dime until he is 110% back, and same for Mario. We've been burned by these. Guy has a big year, gets a huge or new deal, only too suck.

Jonas Jennings, great in Buffalo, sucks here
Nate Clements, same as Jonas.
Shawntae Spencer, same
Adam Snyder, same
Sopoaga, same

So far the new regime has been smart, Brooks, Bowman, Lee, A.Davis, there deals haven't hurt us. Rogers deal is ideally a easy out deal, they knew it when he signed it. Same for when Alex signed that 3yr deal, that contained only roster bonuses, no signing bonus.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Manningham is injury prone, every year he's on the IL. He and Kaep were developing chemistry before the injury. As far as Crabtree, he's coming back from a serious injury, I'd rather see the team be cautious with him. Carradine and Dial are rooks with no game-time experience, how much can we rely on them. Wright is another matter, he may be ready to contribute. If any one of these players can come back and be productive it would be a great boost.

It seems to have worked out fine for Aldon Smith, Bruce Miller, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Chris Culliver....etc. Just judging them on the basis of being rookies is extremely short-sighted. Nobody is asking them to be a starter, just provide depth.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I understand that Crabs and Mario are injured or considered injury prone. But what has Gordon done to make him a top WR? Yeah he is a good WR, and there are always risks whenever you sign or trade for someone, but it may be too much of a risk, with a 1yr suspension as a possibility if he fails another drug test, then what? Screwed. Is it worth trading whatever it takes for him, only fornext yr he has a positive test, and suspended 1 yr. Especially if we fall short of Playoffs, or SB.

It's the same overreaction when the "Pay Crabtree whatever he wants" Thread opened, I wouldn't pay him a dime until he is 110% back, and same for Mario. We've been burned by these. Guy has a big year, gets a huge or new deal, only too suck.

Jonas Jennings, great in Buffalo, sucks here
Nate Clements, same as Jonas.
Shawntae Spencer, same
Adam Snyder, same
Sopoaga, same

So far the new regime has been smart, Brooks, Bowman, Lee, A.Davis, there deals haven't hurt us. Rogers deal is ideally a easy out deal, they knew it when he signed it. Same for when Alex signed that 3yr deal, that contained only roster bonuses, no signing bonus.

I think there's risk, but Gordon certainly has a lot of talent and explosiveness, he's a guy that defenses would certainly have to worry about and his salary is dirt cheap for the next few years, if he helps this team get to a Superbowl and win, it'd be well worth the investment, even if he walks after the 2015 season. I've been skeptical on the whole issue, but hell, even if Gordon can be a decoy with his size and speed he'll open things up for Boldin, VD, the running game and eventually Crabtree. He'd be the one real downfield threat this team has in addition to VD.

If the 49ers can get it done for a 3rd rounder and maybe a late conditional pick or two, I'm down.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM ]
Seriously I dont think a 2nd or a 3rd for Gordon is bad. Whats the risk - he's out for the year. So what? The niners can afford to waste a couple picks - especially considering they have so many picks and a talent of that sort for a 2nd round pick w/ a risk is worth it.
Originally posted by deepniner:
Seriously I dont think a 2nd or a 3rd for Gordon is bad. Whats the risk - he's out for the year. So what? The niners can afford to waste a couple picks - especially considering they have so many picks and a talent of that sort for a 2nd round pick w/ a risk is worth it.

2nd is a little steep but we suck at drafting and developing receivers so it could be worth it. only problem is gordon is an idiot. trade for him, send him to rehab with aldon, get them both back in a month and dominate with crabs and manningham back in the mix lol
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I 100% guarantee that we will not be trading for Gordon.

What's your guarantee worth?