There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reinforcements are coming for the 49ers

We need enough key personnel to eat up Drew Brees.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by cciowa:
gordon is not worth the gamble. we can hold things together till mario comes back. in regards to the other guys coming back, its great news,earlier in the day i was clamoring for the team to sign a d linemen but with this news i think we can just hold things together with bubble gum and string this weekend vs the cards then get two guys back for next week. if we beat a good team like the texans with their weapons, sans quarterback,, with the guys we have on defense, we certainly should be able to do it to the cards... gordon is a bubbling pot on the stove and the niners do not want to be near him when he explodes in my opinion

Are you confident though that Manningham (Crabtree as well) will be back to form, or even close to it, following that very serious knee injury.
actually i will go out on a limb and say yes. at least we know they are good team mates and a good fit in our team ,even at lets say 80 per cent. gordon on the other hand i would not touch with mayos penis
actually i will go out on a limb and say yes. at least we know they are good team mates and a good fit in our team ,even at lets say 80 per cent. gordon on the other hand i would not touch with mayos penis

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gordan would put us over the top.

But we would have too many WR's come NOV/DEC

Crabs, Boldin, Mario, Baldwin, Patton, Williams

Cut Baldwin or Williams

Baldwin has way more value than Williams does. Its not even close
jesus,. i like kyle but good lord the above is the truth,, baldwin is not going anywhere and i still say he will contribute for us
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Too many recievers? Lol. This team can't get enough.

you seem to forget our #1 and #2 receivers are coming back from injuries

Manningham is 3 at best behind boldin and crabs. Personally i dont really want to see us rush crabtree, and honestly i dont think he is gonna come back 100% healthy this season. I would love it if i was wrong, but Gordon gives insurance for now and into the future. Its a good problem to have.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
We need enough key personnel to eat up Drew Brees.

understand but i really want to take care of things before i even think of brees
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Browns aren't shopping their stars. But they have talked to teams about Josh Gordon, including #49ers. They'd like a 2nd rounder in return

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 7, 2013

give them kyle williams and a 3rd
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
gordon is not worth the gamble. we can hold things together till mario comes back. in regards to the other guys coming back, its great news,earlier in the day i was clamoring for the team to sign a d linemen but with this news i think we can just hold things together with bubble gum and string this weekend vs the cards then get two guys back for next week. if we beat a good team like the texans with their weapons, sans quarterback,, with the guys we have on defense, we certainly should be able to do it to the cards... gordon is a bubbling pot on the stove and the niners do not want to be near him when he explodes in my opinion

Are you confident though that Manningham (Crabtree as well) will be back to form, or even close to it, following that very serious knee injury.

LOL
Crabtree, Gordon, Boldin, Patton

Throw in Baldwin and/or Williams/Manningham to the Browns and I think we're good
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Matt Barrows wrote that they're looking for a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't mind giving up a second rounder for him.

I don't know about a 2nd, if they can do it for a 3rd and a 7th, I'm down. In terms of talent, Gordon could be a Top 10 WR but with all his other issues, it hurts his value a lot. He's one failed drug test away from being suspended for an ENTIRE season. That is the only reason that Cleveland is looking to trade him.

However, if he kept his nose clean, a WR corps of Crabtree, Gordon, Boldin, Manningham and Patton would be pretty sick.

I think now that we made it through our rough stretch and it seems like we will be ok until Manningham and the rest of our guys get back it seems unlikely we will trade for him. A few weeks ago would have made more sense to me. As for the pick we give up not sure why nobody is mentioning a conditional pick. Say it's our 2nd (probably late) for him BUT if he fails a drug test during this season it becomes a 3rd/4th or whatever. Although, I see the other side of it. I'm thinking the Browns would rather keep him and take that risk than end up with a 3rd/4th or whatever if he fails. Browns seem to want it all or nothing and it's the only reason they are even thinking about trading him. Even if he's suspended a year though he's signed for 2014 and 2015 year so you would have him for at least a year and a half. At best 2 1/2 years before his contract is up. Not to mention the fact he's only making 850 and 1.1 mil these next two years. I would have done it for our 2nd which should be late and have it conditional that it turns into a 4th and extra if the Browns would go for it. This way we don't have to take a chance drafting a WR and he's only 22 years old.

Like I mentioned though doesn't seem as likely anymore with Crabtree, Manningham and company doing well. I don't see room for him when we usually only have 2 wr sets, once in awhile 3. Crabtree, Gordon, Boldin, Manningham? Problem is Boldin isn't a slot guy, Manningham can be... Gordon not sure if he can play the slot but would hate to waste him as a #3 slot guy. Maybe Boldin, Gordon, Manningham until Crabtree comes back and then see where you go from there. With trading for Gordon though after the season it would allow us to let go of Boldin and/or Manningham and save a lot of money there with Crabtree, Gordon, Patton, etc. Would rather pay Gordon 1.1 mil than Boldin 5 mil or so.

Side note: I see some talking about maybe throwing in a player. Doubt they want Kyle Williams. They might be interested in James if we would want to shop him. Not saying it would happen but right now all they have for a RB is McGahee, Ogbonnaya who is like a FB/RB and Bobby Rainey. I don't really know of any other player that we could shop that would be worth anything. It's unlikely though, player for player trades are pretty rare in-season. If we did trade for him which again I think is unlikely it would be for a pick. My money is on us holding out until or reinforcements get here
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by xtm059:
Browns aren't shopping their stars. But they have talked to teams about Josh Gordon, including #49ers. They'd like a 2nd rounder in return

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 7, 2013

give them kyle williams and a 3rd

good trade, kyle williams basically gives us 0 production as the number 2, he is only good as the number 3 when hes matched up against other teams weak corners and they forget about him, thats when he seems to get open and make plays, like when we had moss and crabs he would make a play here and there, that reverse play last game seemed like the highlight of his season so far lmao.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
DL - Losing Williams was a big blow IMHO and took us a game to sort out the def scheme. But I highly doubt Tank or Dial could contribute much at all. Maybe Dial to replace Williams, but suspect Tank stays on pup for next year.

WR - To think Manningham or Crabs are going to save this anemic passing attach is naive IMHO. Our offense and passing attack suffer from 1 MAJOR deficiency - no speed threat except from VD - so essentially no outside speed threat. Man and Crabs won't fix that at all.

For that reason, and the fact this team can't seem to draft a WR to save it's life for 15 years - I would pull the trigger on Gordon. Heck, with 9ers track record, there is a 90% chance the WR they select with a 2nd is going to fail anyway. Take a known threat.

(Highly disappointed Patton didn't produce and then got injured - major bummer)

(Oh, and how bad do I stand corrected that losing Crabs might have a silver lining of making Ck spread the ball around more! Oh man, Crabs was way more critical than I gave him credit for. Ouch!)
OH - and great idea to wrap one of our WR (or two) up with a draft pick to trade Cleveland - great idea! Baldwin, Williams, and a 3rd? I hate to give up on Baldwin, but to get Gordon, yeah.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
DL - Losing Williams was a big blow IMHO and took us a game to sort out the def scheme. But I highly doubt Tank or Dial could contribute much at all. Maybe Dial to replace Williams, but suspect Tank stays on pup for next year.

WR - To think Manningham or Crabs are going to save this anemic passing attach is naive IMHO. Our offense and passing attack suffer from 1 MAJOR deficiency - no speed threat except from VD - so essentially no outside speed threat. Man and Crabs won't fix that at all.

For that reason, and the fact this team can't seem to draft a WR to save it's life for 15 years - I would pull the trigger on Gordon. Heck, with 9ers track record, there is a 90% chance the WR they select with a 2nd is going to fail anyway. Take a known threat.

(Highly disappointed Patton didn't produce and then got injured - major bummer)

(Oh, and how bad do I stand corrected that losing Crabs might have a silver lining of making Ck spread the ball around more! Oh man, Crabs was way more critical than I gave him credit for. Ouch!)

I know, f**king Patton, couldn't come up with a 100 yards receiving in less than 20 snaps of actual offense.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM ]