LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 154 users in the forums

Reinforcements are coming for the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Get Gordon... 22 years old.. Not worried about being a knuckle head, our team will set him straight. Keap needs help. I'm thrilled that Mario and Crabtree is coming back but there's no guarantee how long they will take before they will get back to where they left off if they will... We have not been lucky or good at picking receivers. This team is built to win now!!! Gore, justin the OGZz deserve now!!!!! Percy coming out of injury soon.. It will be even more difficult to beat them with an added weapon. We don't have Alex smith anymore..... Keap has a gun.... Give Keap that one more weapon and I think with our receivers getting healthy and this young kid... I think it will bring us over the top.... Our defense deserves it!!!!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
a 2nd is high. If we could get by with Tennessee's 3rd, and our 4th, that would be great. We also would need to wary about his off the field issues, he is one strike away from a 1 yr suspension.

His salary would fit under the cap.

THIS. A 3rd and 4th would be the ideal compensation given the risk that comes with him. A 2nd is just too much.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
gordon is not worth the gamble. we can hold things together till mario comes back. in regards to the other guys coming back, its great news,earlier in the day i was clamoring for the team to sign a d linemen but with this news i think we can just hold things together with bubble gum and string this weekend vs the cards then get two guys back for next week. if we beat a good team like the texans with their weapons, sans quarterback,, with the guys we have on defense, we certainly should be able to do it to the cards... gordon is a bubbling pot on the stove and the niners do not want to be near him when he explodes in my opinion
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
You're convinced he isn't going to get suspended again, or do you think it's worth the gamble?

You know, honestly, I don't know much about him...IIRC he was dropping lots of balls in a game I was 1/2 watching the other day. And then he has drug issues? You know, Aldon may need a roommate? I'm thinking, pulling a page out of Baalke's GM book, perhaps he's thinking long term here. Insurance for Crabtree or Manningham and both don't pan out or bolt in FA. If Baldwin doesn't pan out...we don't sign Boldin, etc. He could have several weeks to learn b/c Manningham is expected back soon and maybe he can contribute down the stretch? I just don't know but at least his contract is nothing that would hurt our salary cap going forward.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Bowman ain't even excited.

for all we know, these dudes are gonna suck kak. U know who didn't suk kak and showed promise? Cam Johnson, the dude we traded for a 7th rounder. Oh yea, and that guy Parys Harelson, he was pretty good too.

Still not over it? While Skuta and Lemon-YAY look just fine?

We got Skuta the Stuka divebombing Allied Backfields like he's being flown by Hans Rudel.....
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

for all we know, these dudes are gonna suck kak. U know who didn't suk kak and showed promise? Cam Johnson, the dude we traded for a 7th rounder. Oh yea, and that guy Parys Harelson, he was pretty good too.

We got Skuta the Stuka divebombing Allied Backfields like he's being flown by Hans Rudel.....

Skuta has impressed me on defense, I knew he was a ST Ace, but didn't know how well he could be as a OLB. Also with Wilhoite too. Lemonyay looked good on pass rushing. We will need both. I saw Brooks go out, hope he is ok.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
THIS. A 3rd and 4th would be the ideal compensation given the risk that comes with him. A 2nd is just too much.

I do not think that we are going to use a 3rd and 4th to trade for a wide receiver who is one substance abuse away from a one year suspension.

If I am right, I think that is a minimum mandatory suspension of one year.
Some of the best Superbowl winning teams are the ones whom are coming off of huge expectations, whom injuries/problems in the beginning of the season hampered their public image, while just like 'that' the players returned towards the middle or end of season, took off on all cylinders, and ripped through the playoffs.

-I'm not talking about the '07 or '11 Giants, nor the '10 Packers, I'm talking about the 1988 49ers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Skuta has impressed me on defense, I knew he was a ST Ace, but didn't know how well he could be as a OLB. Also with Wilhoite too. Lemonyay looked good on pass rushing. We will need both. I saw Brooks go out, hope he is ok.

god AB,, for as much as i whined and knashed my teeth about haralson i am so over that and i am so tired of people bringing up two x niners,, based upon the last two games and esp last night,, we are in very very good shape with dan and the lemon man there.
Oops double post.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM ]

Despite Risks, San Francisco 49ers Need to Make a Move for Josh Gordon-

The 49ers also have an additional third-round pick coming from the Tennessee Titans, a pick they acquired by trading down a few slots in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft. This doesn't even take into account a likely second-round pick that will be coming San Francisco's way from the Kansas City Chiefs in the Alex Smith deal.

You get the picture. General manager Trent Baalke has a lot to work with here. Assuming San Francisco was going to spend a rather high-round pick on a wide receiver, which seems to be pretty much etched in stone at this point, why not trade for Gordon? Sure the off-field risks are there, but he would add another dimension to an offensive attack that is void of that.

Some may call into question where Gordon fits once Crabtree returns from injury. With Boldin, Crabtree and Gordon in the mix, San Francisco would then have three starter-caliber receivers. Add into the equation Vernon Davis at tight end and there might not be enough balls to go around. That's a valid argument on the surface, but it's also a nice problem to have. Sure beats the heck out of the 49ers' current situation. It's also important to note that Boldin will become a free agent and that there is an option on Crabtree's deal that could void the remainder of his deal after the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/despite-risks-san-francisco-49ers-move-josh-gordon-154600308--nfl.html
I would give up a second round pick right now this second for Gordon. Even if manningham and crabtree come back 100% at sometime this season, Gordon is making peanuts for three seasons. If we can send a first found flyer on a guy like AJ Jenkins, why not spend a second on a guy that has the ability, just need his head right. Its taking a chance sure, but no more risk IMO than it is for us to draft a WR in the second next year.
Originally posted by cciowa:

god AB,, for as much as i whined and knashed my teeth about haralson i am so over that and i am so tired of people bringing up two x niners,, based upon the last two games and esp last night,, we are in very very good shape with dan and the lemon man there.

agreed. Now you have joined the dark side, lol. Haralson and Cam were expendable.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Despite Risks, San Francisco 49ers Need to Make a Move for Josh Gordon-

The 49ers also have an additional third-round pick coming from the Tennessee Titans, a pick they acquired by trading down a few slots in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft. This doesn't even take into account a likely second-round pick that will be coming San Francisco's way from the Kansas City Chiefs in the Alex Smith deal.

You get the picture. General manager Trent Baalke has a lot to work with here. Assuming San Francisco was going to spend a rather high-round pick on a wide receiver, which seems to be pretty much etched in stone at this point, why not trade for Gordon? Sure the off-field risks are there, but he would add another dimension to an offensive attack that is void of that.

Some may call into question where Gordon fits once Crabtree returns from injury. With Boldin, Crabtree and Gordon in the mix, San Francisco would then have three starter-caliber receivers. Add into the equation Vernon Davis at tight end and there might not be enough balls to go around. That's a valid argument on the surface, but it's also a nice problem to have. Sure beats the heck out of the 49ers' current situation. It's also important to note that Boldin will become a free agent and that there is an option on Crabtree's deal that could void the remainder of his deal after the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/despite-risks-san-francisco-49ers-move-josh-gordon-154600308--nfl.html

^^ On top of that, who knows how Manningham and Crabs will play this season, IF they happen to come back. Both are coming off serious injuries that will take time to completely heal AND might take time to get over psychologically. Just too many question marks to depend on them coming back 100%.And the fact that Boldin/Manningham and will possibly be gone next year and potentially Crabtree in 2015, Gordon just makes sense. Not to mention he's a big-bodied deep threat that our offense desperately needs. Crabtree/Manningham/Boldin does not fit that bill.

Pull the damn trigger.
Share 49ersWebzone