There are 187 users in the forums

Reinforcements are coming for the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SolAsch24:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
I can only speak for myself but I've been watching my niners since I laid eyes on joe Montana. I'm not trying to compare but all I'm trying to say is that after 94-94 season there has been so much disappointment.. Down the drain I mean 2 muffed punts NFC championship game and 5 yards away last year. Realistically how many more years do we have? The window is closing again and we didn't get it on 2 tries. I don't wana wait another 18 years? I want now... That means all hands on deck and if it's not enough? Bring guys that can help win now.. Not next year.. Ain't no guarantee tomorrow.....

YES EXACTLY!!

Yep, our window is now and if we don't capitalize on it, I don't want to think when we might be able to win another Super Bowl again. In the next year or two, we would be losing a good chuck of our current crop of star players such as Frank, Justin, Vernon or may be even Patrick. So, how would the team look or whether our team would be better say two years down the road I have no idea. All I know is we had a missed opportunity last year and history tells us not many teams can go back to the Super Bowl year in year out.
Methinks McDonald will tow the load until Carradine looks ready to participate in an actual game (talent wise).
With our window closing for being Super Bowl favorites we need to make a move I would say risk he gets suspended reward we win a Super Bowl sound worth it to me Flash Gordon in red looks like a good move.
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
With our window closing for being Super Bowl favorites we need to make a move I would say risk he gets suspended reward we win a Super Bowl sound worth it to me Flash Gordon in red looks like a good move.

I always shake my head at this nonsense, if anything this team is getting younger and extending their window, not closing it. Losing Gore, Justin Smith will be tough but I have faith in Baalke replacing them and keeping this roster stacked..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We've got at least a 10 year window, with Kap only being 25.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

You don't know that. You don't know what kind of a team we will become after Frank, Justin, Vernon and Patrick depart. I have no idea, will it be just as good with no drop-off in performance or even better ? Nobody knows. Talking of Kap, he needs to get out of this slump quick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

You don't know that. You don't know what kind of a team we will become after Frank, Justin, Vernon and Patrick depart. I have no idea, will it be just as good with no drop-off in performance or even better ? Nobody knows. Talking of Kap, he needs to get out of this slump quick.

Kap will get out of his slump as soon as his receivers starting getting open.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Yep, our window is now and if we don't capitalize on it, I don't want to think when we might be able to win another Super Bowl again. In the next year or two, we would be losing a good chuck of our current crop of star players such as Frank, Justin, Vernon or may be even Patrick. So, how would the team look or whether our team would be better say two years down the road I have no idea. All I know is we had a missed opportunity last year and history tells us not many teams can go back to the Super Bowl year in year out.

You know our window is now?

You don't know that. You don't know what kind of a team we will become after Frank, Justin, Vernon and Patrick depart. I have no idea, will it be just as good with no drop-off in performance or even better ? Nobody knows.

Nobody knows if our window is now?

Seems to be some confusion about what we do or do not know.

But, I can guarantee you one thing. I do not know.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:35 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

If that is the case, we will probably need Josh Gordon more than we thought.

Sure we can get 6 completions per game. A true franchise QB no doubt. He can't see his 2nd, 3rd, 4th options or 3/4 of the field he is not staring down. But hey he's the man.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

If that is the case, we will probably need Josh Gordon more than we thought.

Yep.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

You know our window is now?

You don't know that. You don't know what kind of a team we will become after Frank, Justin, Vernon and Patrick depart. I have no idea, will it be just as good with no drop-off in performance or even better ? Nobody knows.

Nobody knows if our window is now?

Seems to be some confusion about what we do or do not know.

But, I can guarantee you one thing. I do not know.

There is one thing I do know. If I am not wrong minus Dashon, we might still have 8 pro-bowlers left. Out of the 8, probably half of them would be gone in the next 2 years or so such as Frank, Justin, Vernon and Patrick. These are top level players in their respective positions and is a reasonable indicator of how good we are especially when you tally that against how well we have done in the past 2 years both in the regular season as well as the playoffs.That is why I believe our window is now. Beyond that, I simply don't know.
There is one thing I do know. If I am not wrong minus Dashon, we might still have 8 pro-bowlers left. Out of the 8, probably half of them would be gone in the next 2 years or so such as Frank, Justin, Vernon and Patrick. These are top level players in their respective positions and is a reasonable indicator of how good we are especially when you tally that against how well we have done in the past 2 years both in the regular season as well as the playoffs.That is why I believe our window is now. Beyond that, I simply don't know.

So your speculation is more reliable than anyone else's? You don't know anymore about this intangible "window" than anyone else here. I wouldn't mind picking up Gordon, but I can absolutely understand how most would balk at throwing a second rounder at a guy that could miss a whole year because he likes the cough syrup.
The Niners are set for the next couple of years. If anything, they just need a good backup QB.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i would rather over value a second round pick then over glorify a guy who has trouble written all over him. its about the right guy and in my opinion, he is not the right guy. if he was the right guy, the deal would have been made yesterday

cciowa, i get the impression that you havent seen Gordon play a whole lot. No one is over glorifying his value. If it wasnt for the character concerns, he would demand a first round pick easy. You do know that the guy was suspended for two games this season and already has more combined yardage and TDs than our entire receiving squad, Boldin excluded, combined?

How long are we gonna sit around and wait for the "right guy" to show up? There comes a time when you have to go and get the "right guy" and you may possibly even have to gamble on the "right guy".

Fact is we need WR help NOW. We also need WR for 2014.

Why not gamble on this guy? Whats the worse that can happen? We lose a second round pick, and eat an extremely cheap contract. But if he works out? If he looks this good on the browns with weeden throwing the ball, what do you think he could do for the 49ers?

Great highlights...too bad we never run plays like this. Can you imagine how bored and frustrated he'd get with 1 target a game, maybe 2...both deep sideline routes? We aren't exactly a team that "spreads it around to everyone." Hell, we had Randy Freaking Moss and we only used him as a decoy!
Share 49ersWebzone