Some very astute impressions of the game.
1. CK seems to me to have become more tentative and less confident than he was last year. I've expressed this sentiment before. Maybe responsibility anxiety - lol! Maybe lack of trust in his WRs . . . I'd bet that this has a lot to do with it. Boldin is the only guy that actually goes for the ball and can be trusted. Even VD has a small catch radius and odds are won't make the difficult grab. For example: The pass down the seam with approx. 5min left in the third quarter was a pass Kap would successfully make to Crabtree. With Vernon it had virtually no chance. He is gimpy, but even so, thats just his MO.
2. Agree that Brock and Reid are upgrades over the previous guys. Brock's looks a LOT better tha Asomough to me. I wish that we had kept Cooper over Namndi. Hindsight.
. I only saw one glaring missed tackle by Reid, but I'm sure that there were others. If this is him now, how much better is he going to be in time? Man,I questioned the Niners need to move up to get him because of his so-so final year at LSU . . . but I'm sure glad that they did.
3. Offense: The Niners came out slinging it to start out the second half. Even though thewy had a 21 point lead. Offense went three and out. Normally one would question that strategy. But at this point I completely agree with what they did. The Niners need to get their suddenly anemic passing game sorted out if they are to be serious contenders. With a big lead and a struggling Texans offense, this was perfect opportunity to work on that.
4. WR: I think that the Niners realize that they dropped the ball on sorting out the WR situation before the season started. That's why we're hearing about their reaching out to Hawkins, inquiring about Gordon, etc. The current roster is just not cutting it. That's a big part of Kaps problems obviously. Noone really knows how the returning injured will look in actual games immediately following return, or at least for a few weeks after they get back. Josh Gordon is a stud but a very risky move. Boy, he would add sizzle though.
5. Defense: As presently constituted the Niners are dependent upon the defense playing well to come out ahead. Right now, I really doubt the teams capacity to come back from big deficits as they did last year during the playoffs. So far the defense has held up it's side. As you say, even in the two games the Niners lost the defense kept it close until fatigue finally took it's toll late. The offense let them down. This game the defense was heroic.
6. Roster moves: Around now I wouldn't be surprised to see the FO make some "wow" moves/trades/acquisitions.