There are 172 users in the forums

2013 - Week 5: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really hope Brock is for real, because what he showed last night was outstanding, he was pretty much always in position, making play after play, he looked very good, if him and Brown are playing at a high level, it becomes a much more difficult proposition to pass against this secondary.
Terrible analysis of Eric Reid. I only saw him miss 1 tackle and yet made multiple great plays stopping the players from getting extra yardage and almost had another INT.
Originally posted by SolAsch24:
Terrible analysis of Eric Reid. I only saw him miss 1 tackle and yet made multiple great plays stopping the players from getting extra yardage and almost had another INT.

OK...if you say so. LOL. When the game is available I'll show you EXACTLY what I'm talking about with timestamps. I ain't making this sh*t up.
OK, now THIS is great news (besides the W)!

(RDE) Tank, (NT) Dial (up to 340-350 pounds), (WR) Manningham, (CB) Wright AND (WR) Crabtree all expected to be back starting next week (practicing with the team)...Crabtree being the latest at the end of November and already "running" around. Wow! I seriously only expected Manningham. Of course this could be coach-speak but encouraging nonetheless. And don't forget about (OT) Luke Marquardt, (RB) Marcus Lattimore and (ILB) Nick Moody either at some point.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=62157

Now, who is going to be cut?
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

(RDE) Tank, (NT) Dial (up to 340-350 pounds), (WR) Manningham, (CB) Wright AND (WR) Crabtree all expected to be back starting next week (practicing with the team)...Crabtree being the latest at the end of November and already "running" around. Wow! I seriously only expected Manningham. Of course this could be coach-speak but encouraging nonetheless. And don't forget about (OT) Luke Marquardt, (RB) Marcus Lattimore and (ILB) Nick Moody either at some point.

Nnamdi?
You also forgot to mention Kaep staring down the s**t out of his #1 targets. Man... I guess it was easier to go through progressions when you had Delanie, Manningham, and Crabtree
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
As usual, love the post Marvin.

I have to add that I'm really struggling with the designs of the passing game. Here's what I mean; if you're going to introduce a new WR in to the mix, give him a chance to shine; start with some routes where he can catch and run pretty easily. Why start off with a deep sideline route against the team's best corner? It's not just a separation issue with the WRs, it's the scheme IMHO does very little in getting these guys open. Compare this to the TE passing game design; it's clear either Harbaugh or someone else other than Roman design those plays because Davis always seems to be so open - and it's not just a separation issue, it's he's WIDE open and that to me is more scheme than talent. I just see a lot of variation with the passing game/passing routes.

Thoughts ......

I know NCommand has brought this up, but it seems many of the WR routes are straight ahead type routes (sideline routes). This may very well be by design to get VD open. Why run curls and digs that take the CB back towards the middle of the field? If the primary read on so many pass plays is VD, then keep the CBs away from the middle of the field. One other thing I've seen that can support this observation is how Miller and Vance will line up wide on occasion, taking an LB with them. Another case of trying to clear the middle of the field for VD to work his routes.

NCommand approves of this exchange!

(RDE) Tank, (NT) Dial (up to 340-350 pounds), (WR) Manningham, (CB) Wright AND (WR) Crabtree all expected to be back starting next week (practicing with the team)...Crabtree being the latest at the end of November and already "running" around. Wow! I seriously only expected Manningham. Of course this could be coach-speak but encouraging nonetheless. And don't forget about our OT in Luke Marquett either.

I cannot remember any NFL team ever doing this before: adding a huge dose of personnel at midseason. A big influx of talented players--just when other teams are losing players to injuries.

The second half of the season is going to be very, very interesting to watch. And very, very fun to watch, too. IMHO.

BTW, enjoyed the read, as usual, Marvin.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Nnamdi?

You know, I hate to say it...but it very well could be. I'd hate to lose a veteran back there but if you had to choose between he and Cox (assuming it's a straight-position trade, who do you cut)? McDonald's MRI could be very significant in all of this as well. This is a LOT of people coming back into the fold (some for the first time). Plus Aldon will be back at some point, Willis, Looney, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I cannot remember any NFL team ever doing this before: adding a huge dose of personnel at midseason. A big influx of talented players--just when other teams are losing players to injuries.

The second half of the season is going to be very, very interesting to watch. And very, very fun to watch, too. IMHO.

Man, this is insane. I knew it was coming but I didn't realize these guys could be practicing with us NEXT WEEK and then we have 3 weeks to decide if they are good-to-go or not. Good timing too!

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Pretty sure it was all according to plan. I truly believe Baalke was forming a 2nd string on the PUP that he could fill in as injuries mounted over the season. I think he got sick of having the best team in football but by Jan/Feb being decimated by injuries. Big injuries are going to happen, the trick is having high quality people stashed away that you can back fill with.
Originally posted by kam_niners1:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks for the fine post Marv.

Add Ian Williams to another D starter who's out.

Dorsey played very well.

Skuta played well.

Boone played a very good game.

Miller's blocking was spot on and I think [please correct me if wrong] that he has more receptions than all our receivers exept for VD & Boldin. That's a real cause for concern.

Kap seems to be going through something. BUT he isn't playing stupid. Zero interceptions was important last night. He doesn't seem to be going through all his progressions or he seems not to be confident in his other receivers. Frankly, I wish I knew.
Last night he was hit more frequently than I can recall.

Has any OLineman beat Watt this year. He seemed to dominate everyone.

Brooks was awesome.

Hey Marv, do you think we make a play for a FA if Ray Mac is out?

Dunno...heard yesterday they were looking at Seymore so thats possible. They'll get Dial and Carradine back here so
Hrmmm. Mixed feelings on this one...

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 12 starts, 194 comp, 324 att, 59.87 comp%, 2569 yards, 7.92 YPA, 16 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.47 QB Rating. There has been a discussion here on the 'zone as to the "fault" of Kaps numbers this season. Has he regeressed? Have teams figured him out? Can his receivers not get open? I think the answer is "yes". Its clear that his receivers are getting very little separation. That in turn has made him a bit more wary of letting the ball go. Teams have learned to trap him in the pocket and play press man all day. He needs to learn to defeat it. He also needs his horses back. He didn't need to put up big yards yesterday, but it was clear he was a bit scattershot. Some of it wasn't his fault and I'll go into that later, but some of it IS his fault. He needs to play better.

2) Vernon: I give him all kinds of credit for being out there and giving it everything he has, but he's not healthy. His presence makes a HUGE difference even while he's hurt and they need him in there, but he's clearly not the same Vernon right now. That sideline pass was not perfect by Kap but it was catchable...and he barely tried. Thats not criticism BTW because the effort for that ball might have aggrivated the injury. The ball close to the goal-line was another ball that he just seemed really gimpy on that leg. I dunno if he'd have been able to go get it if healthy, but you have to wonder. He seems just fine tho running in straight lines as evidensed by the 64 yard TD. He still has the speed to stretch the D, but he's struggling with that leg. I just hope he can get close to 100% at some point in the not too distant future.

3) Reid: Let me first start off by saying I already like this kid better than I ever liked Goldson. Smart. Good instincts. Hits with his shoulder. Getting better every week...but the missed tackles are driving me nuts. LOL. Too many arm tackles. He's a big strong kid with LONG arms...there is no reason he should be missing the tackles he's missing. I love the big hits, but he's gotta be a better tackler than he is right now. I like that he seems to be getting a bit more aggressive every week (that was one of my very early criticisms in the preseason...played tentative). Perhaps as he gets more comfortable his tackling will improve (I seem to remember Goldson having a similar issue), but right now he just misses way too many.

4) Brock: Yeah, Nnamdi ain't getting his job back. This is two weeks in a row that Brock has looked really good and he looked really good early in the preseason as well. In the past I've always remembered Brock as the guy who gave up the TD to Manningham when Brown got hurt in the NFC Championship game after the 2011 season. I have to start looking at him differently tho just as I've adjusted my view of Kyle Williams. He is playing very, very well and just seems so much better than Nnamdi.

5) Wilhoite: Gotta give him a shout out for stepping up now twice in place of Willis. Very solid game. The Texans are going to move the ball on the ground if you only play 7 in the box. Thats just gonna happen. He limited that damage tho and played very well.

6) Pass Rush: A bit concerned here. Not getting a ton of pressure right now, but it's understandable considering Aldon is still out. Lemonier looks kinda stiff and is too easily pushed beyond the pocket. The 49ers are being forced to blitz more often than they have in the past but teams have thus far been unable to capitolize on that. Something to watch going forward.

7) Surviving the Crucible: This opening 5 weeks was always going to be a challenge. It became even more so when Crab, Vernon, and Willis got hurt and Aldon went into rehab. While I'd have loved to get through at 5-0 or 4-1, 3-2 really isn't so terrible. The schedule gets a whole lot easier here for a stretch and that will give some guys time to get healthy. Right now, all the Niners need to do is survive these games. They don't need to be pretty. Eventually the horses will start coming back and this team will look very different in week 16 than they do in week 6. We sit only 1 game back of the division lead and Seattle still has to come to our house. With all that has gone wrong, the 49ers fate is still in their hands.

8) Defense: This defense is still elite. When the offense can sustain a drive or 2 and not turn it over and give the D a short field, they can stay rested and dominate. That they have done so the last two weeks without both Willis and Aldon just speaks volumes. The Rams are not a very good team and the Texans are struggling, but 14 points in 2 games is 14 points in 2 games. Moreover, 8 of those points were a result of yet another short field off a turnover. Otherwise, we'd be looking at SIX points in 2 games. Despite lopsided losses in weeks 2 and 3, the 49ers defense currently sits 5th in yards per game and second in passing yards per game. They are 20th in rush yards per game, but ALOT of that is due to constantly playing 7 men in the box and because they wore down in weeks 2 and 3 because the offense couldn't sustain anything. On a per carry basis, they are tied for 7th in the NFL only allowing 3.7 yards per carry. In total yards per play they rank 4th. The next thing people would bring up is the most important stat...POINTS per game. Believe it or not, the 49ers currently rank 12th. This is despite scores by the Seahawks, Colts, and Rams late in games when the D was worn down and the O was turning the ball over. It was 12-3 late against Seattle despit the O doing nothing. It was 13-7 vs the Colts despite the O doing almost nothing. Bottom line, if the offense had produced more in weeks 2 and 3 we might be looking at the highest ranked defense in the NFL. Where has the 49ers D gone? Nowhere. Its just fine thank you.

9) Special Teams: OK, I wanna know who spiked the coolaid on those coverage units. WOW. Signing all those players specifically for Special Teams has really paid off.

10) Offense: This is where I'm uneasy. I'm uneasy because for 2 weeks now I'm really not sure what I'm seeing. I really like the recommitment to the run game and Gore looks like a younger man. It looks alot like what the 49ers looked like under Alex Smith...but I'm not sure if what we are seeing is what we can expect from them the rest of the season or if its just what we are going to see on a very short week (Rams) and against possibly the best D in the NFL (Texans). Is this the same O they will roll out vs the Cards? I really don't know. Perhaps as some guys start coming back we see it start to open up again. I just don't know. Should be fun to watch tho. :)

On Kap: its really hard to get into a rhythm as a QB if you're attempting only 15 passes all game, once the score was 21-0, the game plan was simple. Having said that, I do feel that Kap has been instructed to two reads on passing down... 6-15 looks pretty bad, but if you go through all the throws... Boldin dropped a 3rd down pass close to the goal line, the one to VD down the sideline would be a completion had VD been healthy, Baldwin catch out of bounds was pretty close to being a completion. Those are 3 plays right off the top of my head that if were converted, you're looking at 9-15 maybe 180 yrds 95+ rating.

This is true...but you can also say that one of the early passes to Boldin SHOULD have been intercepted.

There are alot of coulda and shoulda....I'm just not quite sure I even know what I think right now. LOL.

I do believe that Kap has regressed a bit this year, but it is mostly because of the wr's inability to get open... anyone one who disputes that, should look at Tom Brady, Brady through 5 games has 80 passer rating.... which is unheard of, considering its Tom f**king Brady.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
OK...if you say so. LOL. When the game is available I'll show you EXACTLY what I'm talking about with timestamps. I ain't making this sh*t up.

The missed tackles were more evident against the Colts. Yesterday he was fine besides the one missed tackle against Tate.

Crabtree has been running and doing agility drills, and he has looked remarkably spry for someone who had a complete rupture less than five months ago

You want doom and gloom? Go to the San Diego Charger Forum. There you will find doom and gloom. In spades.
Share 49ersWebzone