There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 5: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
There seems to be a misconception about "arm tackles".

If you are a fast / quick player, you are going to have a lot of arm tackles. Goldson had a lot of "whiff" tackles. So he would simply completely miss any attempt at the tackle. Reid has a lot of arm tackles, meaning he is at least REACHING the player and might have a chance to pull him down, rather than miss him completely.

The unfortunate part is that "missed tackles" only count if you actually make contact with the player. No one seems to care about the "whiff" tackles, where you completely miss the player. Reid having lots of arm tackles, means that he is getting involved in the play. I don't think I have seen Reid perform any "whiff" tackles. He either tackles them, almost tackles them, or is out of the play. His tackling is certainly better than what we had before. Light years ahead actually, and his coverage ability is so good that you almost never hear his name called on passing plays where he is around the play. The result is the #2 passing defense in the league.

BGo what in g*ds name are you talking about? I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. Whiff tackles? Completely missing is better than almost tackling? Does anyone even keep missed tackle stats?

Look, I know what Marvin is talking about because Reid has missed some tackles in the past four games. I disagree with the quantity though -- I think it's about 1, maybe 2 a game.....but M49 seems to imply its more. He also makes tackles too -- 21 so far, which is ok considering he plays behind Bowman/Willis and lost 1/2 a game due to concussion. So all this makes me not mind his misses so much. He's contributing as a tackler too. Also, I think he'll figure out soon enough that there's no room for error in this league and will change his technique to something more conservative less grabby. I see them, but it doesn't bother me so much. If I still see this next year I'll be more concerned.

No....1 or 2 a game is about right.

It wasn't meant as a scathing criticism. Reid looks like he can be a great player but this is one area he can improve.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
LOL.

Who's being snippy?

I disagree with you. Its as simple as that. If I'm not credible because I see Reid missing tackles, then so be it. I see what I see and these are my thoughts after rewatching the game. Me not agreeing with your analysis doesn't mean I have an issue when people disagree. It means I had that opinion for a reason and I'm sticking by what I saw initially to post in the first place.

"Sensitive Nature"? I don't even know what you are talking about. I post what I see and I admit when I'm wrong (which is alot). Just ask people about my defense of Alex Smith and having written off Frank Gore several years in a row now. The thing is tho that when I truly believe something, I'm gonna defend it.

Reid looks like he's going to be a very good player. I already like him FAR more than I ever liked Goldson (whom I was never a big fan of). Reid is getting better and better in every game and is getting more and more aggressive as his confidense builds. All of that can be true as well as my concern that he too often misses tackles. I've seen him do it in almost every game so far this season. He'll over extend and reach and the player will pull away and break the arm tackle. That doesn't mean that this can't be corrected or that it will hinder him in the future. It's what I see NOW. You don't see it? Great. That's your opinion. It is what it is.

Too often when I make a comment on this site people see the negative in my comment and completely ignore the positive in the same paragraph. Reid has a chance to be a good one....but he DOES need to improve his tackling. That's my opinion and I stand by it.

Talk about proving his point

? Defending my opinion is "snippy"? Thicker skins fellas...thicker skins. lol.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]

Dont let em get to you marv, your reports kick ass, I look foward to them after each game.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Dont let em get to you marv, your reports kick ass, I look foward to them after each game.

Just one more take on this game as I was re-watching it.

The 49ers came out on the first offensive drive and correctly guessed what the HOU secondary was going to do - press man coverage, 1 deep safety. The pass plays being called on that first offensive drive were all geared towards beating this type of coverage. The two strategies I saw were: throwing the ball up for grabs to allow the WR to make a play over the CB that is riding his hip pocket, and shallow crossing routes designed to make defenders run into each other (out of bunch formations).

Point is, Roman is aware of how defenses are playing them and is properly calling routes that counter that strategy. Interestingly, in the next 49er drives, HOU backed their CBs up to give the 49er WRs some cushion, thereby eliminating the effectiveness of rub routes. It also eliminates the ability for 1 on 1 jump balls as the CB is now facing the QB after the ball is snapped. I saw two of these 'jump ball' type throws to Baldin and one to Boldin throughout the first half.

Kap needs to have the freedom to audible to a quick slant once he sees any type of cushion being given to Baldwin and his big body.
Originally posted by thl408:

The 49ers came out on the first offensive drive and correctly guessed what the HOU secondary was going to do - press man coverage, 1 deep safety. The pass plays being called on that first offensive drive were all geared towards beating this type of coverage. The two strategies I saw were: throwing the ball up for grabs to allow the WR to make a play over the CB that is riding his hip pocket, and shallow crossing routes designed to make defenders run into each other (out of bunch formations).

Point is, Roman is aware of how defenses are playing them and is properly calling routes that counter that strategy. Interestingly, in the next 49er drives, HOU backed their CBs up to give the 49er WRs some cushion, thereby eliminating the effectiveness of rub routes. It also eliminates the ability for 1 on 1 jump balls as the CB is now facing the QB after the ball is snapped. I saw two of these 'jump ball' type throws to Baldin and one to Boldin throughout the first half.

Kap needs to have the freedom to audible to a quick slant once he sees any type of cushion being given to Baldwin and his big body.

Very VERY nice observation...really appreciate what you are bringing here via video analysis and obserations. These are critical to how we view our OC, game plans, the WR's and QB. Thank you!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

Nice observation!

I'm excited for Baldwin. His size is an immediate upgrade over KW at the #2 spot simply because he's big enough to beat the coverage. I predict as the season progresses, he's going to be a huge impact and possibly the best signing of the season!
Originally posted by verb1der:
Nice observation!

I'm excited for Baldwin. His size is an immediate upgrade over KW at the #2 spot simply because he's big enough to beat the coverage. I predict as the season progresses, he's going to be a huge impact and possibly the best signing of the season!

Fingers crossed! Just have to get him involved early and often!
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

If I learned one thing in life, it's that 84.3% of people in the world are way too sensitive, get butthurt for no reason and take s**t way too personal.

Looking forward to week 6 my man.
[ Edited by Kronos2560 on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice observation!

Fingers crossed! Just have to get him involved early and often!

There were reports prior to the HOU game about how Kap and Baldwin were working on throws together and it's apparent the throws have to do with Baldwin going up for jump balls. The execution was not there, but the strategy is sound, so it's a bit encouraging.
Nice observation!

I sure hope you're right because someone has to step up from that position and he's really the only guy with a chance until we get healthy. Having said that I just have no confidence in Baldwin. I have even less confidence in Williams.

Curious but what have you seen from Baldwin aside from potential that leads you to believe that he's going to do anything different than he has his entire career so far. I desperately want to believe as you do!
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Nice observation!

I sure hope you're right because someone has to step up from that position and he's really the only guy with a chance until we get healthy. Having said that I just have no confidence in Baldwin. I have even less confidence in Williams.

Curious but what have you seen from Baldwin aside from potential that leads you believe going to to anything different than he has his entire career so far. I desperately want to believe as you do!

I'm highly optimistic about Baldwin for the following reasons..

-now plays in a better system
-has a QB that can get him the ball
-doesn't carry the burden of living up to his draft status as he did KC
-has Boldin as his mentor

If he can be a solid possession WR this year, it will be huge! And I don't think that's asking too much.

If he can be a solid possession WR this year, it will be huge! And I don't think that's asking too much.

Boldin factor has to help. Its just has to! While I won't say I'm a believer just yet, I can say I'm at the very least a bit more optimistic now thanks verb1der! GO BALDY!! GO NINERS!

We have GOT to get he (and others) the ball more than 1 or 2 passes a game. That is just pathetic and inexcusable. No excuses.
Originally posted by NCommand:
We have GOT to get he (and others) the ball more than 1 or 2 passes a game. That is just pathetic and inexcusable. No excuses.

Yes sir!!! No excuses! Couldn't agree more.