LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 167 users in the forums

2013 - Week 5: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sigh.

I thinks its funny how when I point something out and all of the sudden I'm saying that Reid sucks. Reid misses some tackles he should make. Its a fact. He also hits like a truck and makes a number of really good tackles. Two things can be equally true.

If it was just 1 or 2 tackles vs Houston then i would never have said anything, but I've seen it all year. I'm not saying he is not or can't be a very good tackler. I'm saying he's missing some tackles he should make. This is simply a small criticism of a player whom I think can be better than the All-Pro player he's replacing.

I dunno how I can make that any more clear. I'm done responding to this issue BTW. I see what I see. You don't see it? Good for you.
Hi Marv49,

Please don't take my post so personal. First of all, I never mentioned you in my post. Secondly, I never even implied that anyone in this thread thinks "Reid sucks." What I did point out is that I think some in this thread are overly critical and inconsistent when evaluating Reids missed tackles. I think I did a reasonable job stating my position and giving in game examples.

You do a good job every week with the recap, but your not the only one with a DVR and an opinion. This is the internet, get use to people disagreeing with you.

I got no prob with people disagreeing with me. I spent 3 months this summer on a Seattle Seahawk board.

You are free to have your opinion and I'm free to disagree with it. Works both ways.
Sigh.

I thinks its funny how when I point something out and all of the sudden I'm saying that Reid sucks. Reid misses some tackles he should make. Its a fact. He also hits like a truck and makes a number of really good tackles. Two things can be equally true.

If it was just 1 or 2 tackles vs Houston then i would never have said anything, but I've seen it all year. I'm not saying he is not or can't be a very good tackler. I'm saying he's missing some tackles he should make. This is simply a small criticism of a player whom I think can be better than the All-Pro player he's replacing.

I dunno how I can make that any more clear. I'm done responding to this issue BTW. I see what I see. You don't see it? Good for you.
Hi Marv49,

Please don't take my post so personal. First of all, I never mentioned you in my post. Secondly, I never even implied that anyone in this thread thinks "Reid sucks." What I did point out is that I think some in this thread are overly critical and inconsistent when evaluating Reids missed tackles. I think I did a reasonable job stating my position and giving in game examples.

You do a good job every week with the recap, but your not the only one with a DVR and an opinion. This is the internet, get use to people disagreeing with you.

I got no prob with people disagreeing with me. I spent 3 months this summer on a Seattle Seahawk board.

You are free to have your opinion and I'm free to disagree with it. Works both ways.

Lets be honest, posting in a rivals board where you expect to be challenged if not insulted, is a lot different than having to defend your position in what is essentially your personal blog. People read your thread because its perceived as creditable. If your observations are not seen as mostly accurate, so goes the credibility. I recognize the sensitive nature of the situation, even if you don't. Again, no need to be snippy.

3) Reid: Let me first start off by saying I already like this kid better than I ever liked Goldson. Smart. Good instincts. Hits with his shoulder. Getting better every week...but the missed tackles are driving me nuts. LOL. Too many arm tackles. He's a big strong kid with LONG arms...there is no reason he should be missing the tackles he's missing. I love the big hits, but he's gotta be a better tackler than he is right now. I like that he seems to be getting a bit more aggressive every week (that was one of my very early criticisms in the preseason...played tentative). Perhaps as he gets more comfortable his tackling will improve (I seem to remember Goldson having a similar issue), but right now he just misses way too many.

There seems to be a misconception about "arm tackles".

If you are a fast / quick player, you are going to have a lot of arm tackles. Goldson had a lot of "whiff" tackles. So he would simply completely miss any attempt at the tackle. Reid has a lot of arm tackles, meaning he is at least REACHING the player and might have a chance to pull him down, rather than miss him completely.

The unfortunate part is that "missed tackles" only count if you actually make contact with the player. No one seems to care about the "whiff" tackles, where you completely miss the player. Reid having lots of arm tackles, means that he is getting involved in the play. I don't think I have seen Reid perform any "whiff" tackles. He either tackles them, almost tackles them, or is out of the play. His tackling is certainly better than what we had before. Light years ahead actually, and his coverage ability is so good that you almost never hear his name called on passing plays where he is around the play. The result is the #2 passing defense in the league.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM ]
Sigh.

Hi Marv49,

Lets be honest, posting in a rivals board where you expect to be challenged if not insulted, is a lot different than having to defend your position in what is essentially your personal blog. People read your thread because its perceived as creditable. If your observations are not seen as mostly accurate, so goes the credibility. I recognize the sensitive nature of the situation, even if you don't. Again, no need to be snippy.

LOL.

Who's being snippy?

I disagree with you. Its as simple as that. If I'm not credible because I see Reid missing tackles, then so be it. I see what I see and these are my thoughts after rewatching the game. Me not agreeing with your analysis doesn't mean I have an issue when people disagree. It means I had that opinion for a reason and I'm sticking by what I saw initially to post in the first place.

"Sensitive Nature"? I don't even know what you are talking about. I post what I see and I admit when I'm wrong (which is alot). Just ask people about my defense of Alex Smith and having written off Frank Gore several years in a row now. The thing is tho that when I truly believe something, I'm gonna defend it.

Reid looks like he's going to be a very good player. I already like him FAR more than I ever liked Goldson (whom I was never a big fan of). Reid is getting better and better in every game and is getting more and more aggressive as his confidense builds. All of that can be true as well as my concern that he too often misses tackles. I've seen him do it in almost every game so far this season. He'll over extend and reach and the player will pull away and break the arm tackle. That doesn't mean that this can't be corrected or that it will hinder him in the future. It's what I see NOW. You don't see it? Great. That's your opinion. It is what it is.

Too often when I make a comment on this site people see the negative in my comment and completely ignore the positive in the same paragraph. Reid has a chance to be a good one....but he DOES need to improve his tackling. That's my opinion and I stand by it.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

3) Reid: Let me first start off by saying I already like this kid better than I ever liked Goldson. Smart. Good instincts. Hits with his shoulder. Getting better every week...but the missed tackles are driving me nuts. LOL. Too many arm tackles. He's a big strong kid with LONG arms...there is no reason he should be missing the tackles he's missing. I love the big hits, but he's gotta be a better tackler than he is right now. I like that he seems to be getting a bit more aggressive every week (that was one of my very early criticisms in the preseason...played tentative). Perhaps as he gets more comfortable his tackling will improve (I seem to remember Goldson having a similar issue), but right now he just misses way too many.

If you are a fast / quick player, you are going to have a lot of arm tackles. Goldson had a lot of "whiff" tackles. So he would simply completely miss any attempt at the tackle. Reid has a lot of arm tackles, meaning he is at least REACHING the player and might have a chance to pull him down, rather than miss him completely.

The unfortunate part is that "missed tackles" only count if you actually make contact with the player. No one seems to care about the "whiff" tackles, where you completely miss the player. Reid having lots of arm tackles, means that he is getting involved in the play. I don't think I have seen Reid perform any "whiff" tackles. He either tackles them, almost tackles them, or is out of the play. His tackling is certainly better than what we had before. Light years ahead actually, and his coverage ability is so good that you almost never hear his name called on passing plays where he is around the play. The result is the #2 passing defense in the league.

Its more than that...I'm talking about plays where he can run through the defender but does not. Missed Tackle on Tate and another vs the Packers when he could have stopped Jordy Nelson short of a 1st down stick out in my mind in particular.

Again tho...I think this can be corrected.
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

• GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
not worth it. a loose cannon who is not worth one of our second round picks. the best they would get from me is a fourth. i do not like his issues. I do understand the concern with our current crop of wide outs and I do not I am taking the philosophy that I am "hoping" mario will be fine but still this guy....

So you think that our current receivers will get better and will make plays against Seattle? Or Manningham and Crabtreee will return to full health? Gordon gets separation and would be a good replacement for Moss whom opened up the intermediate to short stuff for us. Currently Kapernick is not completing many passes to any receivers outside of Davis and Boldin.
The first drive was awesome especially on third down. Kaep was great and if the score was a lot closer we would of been forced to pass more and I'm assuming kaep would of bad another Td and a lot more third down conversions running and passing. It was the game situation not our lack of offense. The first drive should of said it all
Originally posted by elguapo:
The first drive was awesome especially on third down. Kaep was great and if the score was a lot closer we would of been forced to pass more and I'm assuming kaep would of bad another Td and a lot more third down conversions running and passing. It was the game situation not our lack of offense. The first drive should of said it all

The first drive was harrowing. We had to convert three times on low percentage 3-long situations. We never should have been in those situations to begin with. Our success on that drive was the equivalent of rolling snake eyes three times.

BGo what in g*ds name are you talking about? I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. Whiff tackles? Completely missing is better than almost tackling? Does anyone even keep missed tackle stats?

Look, I know what Marvin is talking about because Reid has missed some tackles in the past four games. I disagree with the quantity though -- I think it's about 1, maybe 2 a game.....but M49 seems to imply its more. He also makes tackles too -- 21 so far, which is ok considering he plays behind Bowman/Willis and lost 1/2 a game due to concussion. So all this makes me not mind his misses so much. He's contributing as a tackler too. Also, I think he'll figure out soon enough that there's no room for error in this league and will change his technique to something more conservative less grabby. I see them, but it doesn't bother me so much. If I still see this next year I'll be more concerned.

LOL.

Who's being snippy?

I disagree with you. Its as simple as that. If I'm not credible because I see Reid missing tackles, then so be it. I see what I see and these are my thoughts after rewatching the game. Me not agreeing with your analysis doesn't mean I have an issue when people disagree. It means I had that opinion for a reason and I'm sticking by what I saw initially to post in the first place.

"Sensitive Nature"? I don't even know what you are talking about. I post what I see and I admit when I'm wrong (which is alot). Just ask people about my defense of Alex Smith and having written off Frank Gore several years in a row now. The thing is tho that when I truly believe something, I'm gonna defend it.

Reid looks like he's going to be a very good player. I already like him FAR more than I ever liked Goldson (whom I was never a big fan of). Reid is getting better and better in every game and is getting more and more aggressive as his confidense builds. All of that can be true as well as my concern that he too often misses tackles. I've seen him do it in almost every game so far this season. He'll over extend and reach and the player will pull away and break the arm tackle. That doesn't mean that this can't be corrected or that it will hinder him in the future. It's what I see NOW. You don't see it? Great. That's your opinion. It is what it is.

Too often when I make a comment on this site people see the negative in my comment and completely ignore the positive in the same paragraph. Reid has a chance to be a good one....but he DOES need to improve his tackling. That's my opinion and I stand by it.

Talk about proving his point
I wouldn't stress to much on Reid's tackling at the moment though, he's number 4 on the team behind Bowman, Brooks, and Whitner in combined tackles with 24 tackles. And the three guys ahead of him are great tacklers so I think Reid as a rookie being in that kind of company when it comes to tackling statistics, is doing just fine.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by elguapo:

The first drive was harrowing. We had to convert three times on low percentage 3-long situations. We never should have been in those situations to begin with. Our success on that drive was the equivalent of rolling snake eyes three times.

looked familiar...

I just wish we mixed it up with some playaction on 1st or 2nd down.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

BGo what in g*ds name are you talking about? I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. Whiff tackles? Completely missing is better than almost tackling? Does anyone even keep missed tackle stats?

Look, I know what Marvin is talking about because Reid has missed some tackles in the past four games. I disagree with the quantity though -- I think it's about 1, maybe 2 a game.....but M49 seems to imply its more. He also makes tackles too -- 21 so far, which is ok considering he plays behind Bowman/Willis and lost 1/2 a game due to concussion. So all this makes me not mind his misses so much. He's contributing as a tackler too. Also, I think he'll figure out soon enough that there's no room for error in this league and will change his technique to something more conservative less grabby. I see them, but it doesn't bother me so much. If I still see this next year I'll be more concerned.

No....1 or 2 a game is about right.

It wasn't meant as a scathing criticism. Reid looks like he can be a great player but this is one area he can improve.
Originally posted by dhp318:
LOL.

Who's being snippy?

Talk about proving his point

? Defending my opinion is "snippy"? Thicker skins fellas...thicker skins. lol.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone