LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

Who's impressed with this win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's impressed with this win?

Originally posted by GNielsen:
No. It is literally impossible today for any NFL team to load up on the kind of depth some of those '80's and early 90's teams had. DeBartolo and his 80's and 90's Niner teams is the main reason why the NFL has a salary cap now. It's a different dynamic now. The most successful teams build through the draft and turn over at lots of positions while keeping key players on the payroll. And, there is just not the depth behind key players so injuries are more of a wildcard. For example, just take a look at the defensive line depth on any of those late 80's or early 90's teams. Sometimes, they brought in future Hall of Famers for backups.

Yeah Eddie is (in?) famous for his financial arrangements with players that were not necessarily on the balance sheet.

You're right. It's a different environment. Even a superior scheme may not yield the kind of consistent advantage with that much injury wildcard.
This thread is stupid. The only "stat" that matters is the score and based on that, I'm happy! Even more so that we picked up a game on the Seahawks in the division.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
This thread is stupid. The only "stat" that matters is the score and based on that, I'm happy! Even more so that we picked up a game on the Seahawks in the division.

Ditto. We won, We're a game behind Seattle.....thats it. Lets just keep rolling.
I thought the game was good. Kap's numbers weren't great but it wasn't like he was missing bad and looking awful throwing the ball as he was a couple weeks ago. He missed Vernon once, and had a bunch of balls batted down which is what Houston does. In the games we lost we didn't run the ball and also couldn't pass. This game our passing numbers were down because we were running the ball. The play calling became more conservative as expected in the second half. The coaches don't care about stats, they call plays to win the game.
  • dj43
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
@jays9ers - You can't be serious... Before last night. most people thought the Texans/49ers game was a toss up. Both teams have their struggles but both have tons of star quality and potential. We played lights out for 4 qtrs, allowed 3 points and dominated on Primetime. We did so with missing a lot of key guys. We know that Kaep has the ability to light it up if he is in the groove and has his weapons. He did it against Green Bay this year, and last year against the Pats, Bears, etc... If you are worried about the stat line on the offensive side of the ball, you should probably get used to being disappointed with our victories. The 49ers will lean on the Oline with Gore and Hunter and the D to play solid. No reason for Kaep to air it out if he doesn't have to.

Ball control and win the turnover battle!
hmmmmmm That sounds vaguely familiar. ..............2001............
  • dj43
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by dj43:
A win is a win, even if the opposing team just hands it to you.

The utter failure of the passing game offsets any great joy over the running game. The defense was good, not great. Schaub handing us the ball three times makes the defense look better than it was.

I'm guessing that the coaches and players on the Niners would argue with the proposition that the Texans just handed the game to them. Both of Brock's interceptions were exceptional defensive plays - the first one was a design man-to-zone shift set up for that kind of offense play they had obviously seen on film; the second one was a great play - he stayed with his man while watching Schaub's eyes. Schaub tried to look him off, but Brock was just on top of it. Brock was incredible last night. To say they just gave him those turnovers gives him absolutely no respect for playing a great game. Jerrod-Eddie's interception came on a classic zone blitz with a lineman backing up into a space the QB doesn't expect anyone to be occupying. Let's give the Niner defense a little credit for creating those plays, okay?

And I wouldn't be so quick to describe the passing game as an "utter failure." They only attempted 15. They hit on a 64-yard TD against one of the best pass defenses in the league. Yes, the passing game needs lots of work, but let's not panic here.

Yes, Brock played well, however, in both situations, there were keys that a veteran like Schaub should have seen. Collinsworth pointed out the first one immediately after the play. Still, Brock had to make the play. That aside, Houston played fairly well until it was 21-0. At that point, I just did not see the effort anymore from anyone not named Watt.

Davis' long TD was just blown coverage on a play they should have seen on film half a dozen times. Take that away and the numbers are not good. It is just puzzling the Roman has more weapons he could be using but doesn't. NO will be a huge test. Sean Peyton's return has proven he is one of the best coaches in the league and has the Saints playing at a very high level, offensively and defensively. We will need to have a far more diversified passing game hitting on all cylinders by the time that game rolls around. That game may determine who has home field advantage and who doesn't.
  • dj43
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Given that we only had 15 passing attempts, I'm not sure on how many occasions receivers were open but Kap didn't see them. Again, there is no doubt that Kap has to become a better pocket passer, to which he is transitioning at the moment, but I just don't think that 15 pass attempts are enough to judge a QB's performance.
If this were the first game Kaepernick had looked only to his first option I wouldn't be concerned, however, it isn't. Admittedly he is still just past the rookie level and still learning. He now has some relatively easy games to improve this area of his play. Let's see if he can do it.
Originally posted by Baldie:

Ditto. We won, We're a game behind Seattle.....thats it. Lets just keep rolling.

Hell yeah well said, as long as ya dont mean rolling wit nolan :)
Goniners
1 helluva win lets keep it up fellas
Things will only get better once we get healthy, coming soon. Now for the word on ray mac, hope he is ok, one of the many under rader badass's
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Given that we only had 15 passing attempts, I'm not sure on how many occasions receivers were open but Kap didn't see them. Again, there is no doubt that Kap has to become a better pocket passer, to which he is transitioning at the moment, but I just don't think that 15 pass attempts are enough to judge a QB's performance.
If this were the first game Kaepernick had looked only to his first option I wouldn't be concerned, however, it isn't. Admittedly he is still just past the rookie level and still learning. He now has some relatively easy games to improve this area of his play. Let's see if he can do it.

Manningham n crabs will be back soon. We just got to weather the storm which we have. We was up by a good margin. Controlled the game and clock with our running game. Walked out with the W, one game behind seattle! I love way our game went personally. We won with out potentially showing a new wrinkle we have been working on. All while not allowing jj watts to dictate our game! Being a badger fan, ive seen jj do his thing for awhile before he ever hit the nfl!
Helluva team win if i do say so myself
Houston is a quality loaded team sans Schaub and the 49ers won so I'll take a win anyhow possible. Yes

let it roll let it roll
Originally posted by Team49ers:

let it roll let it roll

kill!! kill!! kill!!!
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Team49ers:

let it roll let it roll

kill!! kill!! kill!!!

Lol!
Everyone should be happy that the team is winning at all with as many starters injured as we have. its really incredible. Buckle down for the cardinals folks, it's not going to be an easy win.
[ Edited by xtm059 on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]
Upon further consideration, if Kap can't throw for at least 300 yards and three touchdowns a game we should tank the rest of the season for Manziel, because yardage and passing touchdowns are all that matters...
Share 49ersWebzone