There are 154 users in the forums

Who's impressed with this win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's impressed with this win?

This was an impressive win over a really good team. Like most games there were good and bad things. The pass rush was nonexistent but we didnt scheme to it like last week and we didnt need to based on how the game was going.Yes the WRs weren't good and Kaep was average but we know the passing game is going to struggle until we get more talent there. I didn't see Kaep blatantly miss wide open receivers. That's just reality and to think that will magically change with the same players is silly.

On to the impressive parts:
* Kaep managed the game well. There were no wasted time outs, no moments of ... Oh crap, snap the ball, snap the ball!!!
* Fewer penalties. I for one was tired of double digit penalties for triple digit yardage.
* Young players showing up (except at WR) - Reid is my vote for ROY so far, Brock was great, Jerrod Eddie got an INT
* Special teams covered like we haven't seen for several years.
* We minimalized Watt's impact on the game... This guy is incredible and he flashed so many times last night but it didn't matter.

This wasn't a flashy win like Denver but it was a more impressive win.. Defense and special teams played great and offense was good enough. Enjoy it and look for the offense to get better as we get any passing productivity.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am with you CC, this is not the 80s anymore, as awesome as they were for niners fans. Some folks just need to let go of the past, this is not 30 years ago but it is still good.

Can't. Sorry. And we had salary caps in the 80's. It's the 70s where we had hall of fame rosters playing against UDFA's.I.e Oakland Raiders 44 San Diego 0 week after week.
until the cap came around we could pick and choose whatever we wanted to do, then we manipulated the system so much that it put is in dire straights . back then you did alot of trading for players,, delvin williams for freddie soloman, whoever for fred dean and hacksaw. you do not see that anymore. you need to change and adapt with the times,, if you stand still, you are losing ground
Originally posted by NinerDan:
This was an impressive win over a really good team. Like most games there were good and bad things. The pass rush was nonexistent but we didnt scheme to it like last week and we didnt need to based on how the game was going.Yes the WRs weren't good and Kaep was average but we know the passing game is going to struggle until we get more talent there. I didn't see Kaep blatantly miss wide open receivers. That's just reality and to think that will magically change with the same players is silly.

On to the impressive parts:
* Kaep managed the game well. There were no wasted time outs, no moments of ... Oh crap, snap the ball, snap the ball!!!
* Fewer penalties. I for one was tired of double digit penalties for triple digit yardage.
* Young players showing up (except at WR) - Reid is my vote for ROY so far, Brock was great, Jerrod Eddie got an INT
* Special teams covered like we haven't seen for several years.
* We minimalized Watt's impact on the game... This guy is incredible and he flashed so many times last night but it didn't matter.

This wasn't a flashy win like Denver but it was a more impressive win.. Defense and special teams played great and offense was good enough. Enjoy it and look for the offense to get better as we get any passing productivity.

Agree points 1-4. I thought Watt destroyed us, not sure we should have left Davis on him alone so much. But he does that to everybody so I do not feel too bad. He's the Adrian Peterson of defensive lineman. On another level.
Originally posted by cciowa:
until the cap came around we could pick and choose whatever we wanted to do, then we manipulated the system so much that it put is in dire straights . back then you did alot of trading for players,, delvin williams for freddie soloman, whoever for fred dean and hacksaw. you do not see that anymore. you need to change and adapt with the times,, if you stand still, you are losing ground

Who is standing still..me or the team?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
You think we should look like contenders every week? Really?

Do you think the 49er Super Bowl teams looked like contenders every week? Really? Because if you do -- you would be wrong.

You want the team playing it's best ball in the month of December. Period. End of story. Nothing else matters.

Calm down. Enjoy the ride.
and even then bill look what took place last year. i understand and please do not misunderstand me because i am not taking issue with you . I used to think, like you said,, the only thing that matters is that you are playing your best ball at the end of the year or in december.... remember last year we had those injuries and we really were not playing very well, kind of stumbled around vs the rams, first half vs the cards and miami, got kicked by seattle.. i had the infamous cciowa meltdown thinking we would be one and done because we were not playing well at the the end.. But then the playoffs roll around and we flip on the switch and played very well in post season getting to the super bowl. i really have no point here but yes, its not a sprint, its a marathon, we are better now as compared to three weeks ago, we will be better in 2 months than what we are now. i used to think you HAD to play your best at the end of the regular season but last year taught be a big lesson, that anything is possible, good or bad, when you get into post season
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Willis is class. Not necessarily directing my comments there.

Agree.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Who is standing still..me or the team?
if you are stuck in the 80's mindset and measure success only by how we did back then, "super bowl or bust"... well there is your answer
I am especially impressed with our secondary, we shut down Andre Johnson!
  • buck
  • Veteran

I am not sure, but I think it's coaching-culture driven. I don't know enough about how the locker room operates but that's my current view.

Open to discussion on that.

You acknowledge that do not know how the locker room operates.

But, you are open to discussing your assertion that the team leaders have an " I am a superstar, you are a sub team-undermining mentality."
Thank you, but I do not see any point in having a discussion about this unfounded allegation.

Have a good day.
if you are stuck in the 80's mindset and measure success only by how we did back then, "super bowl or bust"... well there is your answer

Don't you think we can have it again? It was so successful...so overwhelming.. we legitimately could have won the super bowl every year between 1981 and 1989...if Walsh was a better game day coach....that's the irony..the play design genius didn't quite have the same inspiration managing the boring drama of executing his designs in a competitive milieu...ok I will stop now...

• buck
  • Veteran
Willis is class. Not necessarily directing my comments there.

Not necessarily ???

Originally posted by buck:
You acknowledge that do not know how the locker room operates.

But, you are open to discussing your assertion that the team leaders have an " I am a superstar, you are a sub team-undermining mentality."
Thank you, but I do not see any point in having a discussion about this unfounded allegation.

Have a good day.

No need for harrumphing. All I'm saying is put in the new kids for a few series see what they do.. I thought Brooks looked happy to have breather yesterday...I think that the FO and others have commented that the no sub on D philosophy comes from Fangio not the players.....

and to his credit he is rotating the d line better than before .. keep it up!....
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Not necessarily ???

Right. Not necessarily. I don't have a cute emoticon with a question mark to post here.
good win. those DE's on the texans are great, and they have good DB's as well. we made some passes when it matters and the same with running the ball. good win against a good team.
Don't you think we can have it again? It was so successful...so overwhelming.. we legitimately could have won the super bowl every year between 1981 and 1989...if Walsh was a better game day coach....that's the irony..the play design genius didn't quite have the same inspiration managing the boring drama of executing his designs in a competitive milieu...ok I will stop now...

No. It is literally impossible today for any NFL team to load up on the kind of depth some of those '80's and early 90's teams had. DeBartolo and his 80's and 90's Niner teams is the main reason why the NFL has a salary cap now. It's a different dynamic now. The most successful teams build through the draft and turn over at lots of positions while keeping key players on the payroll. And, there is just not the depth behind key players so injuries are more of a wildcard. For example, just take a look at the defensive line depth on any of those late 80's or early 90's teams. Sometimes, they brought in future Hall of Famers for backups.
Share 49ersWebzone