LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Who's impressed with this win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's impressed with this win?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Screw Kap's stats, just win is the bottom line.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by susweel:
I feel bad for some of you who cant just enjoy the wins.

It is sad, isn't it. The Niners are 3-2 with the far most brutal part of their schedule behind them. The Seahawks lost, so the Niners are just one game behind. The Niners have four absolutely winnable games coming up giving them four or five weeks to work on the passing game before they go to New Orleans. They just held the #1 offense in yardage in the NFL to their season low and 3 points. They ran all over one of the best run defenses in the league. The leagues leading sacker and a complete stud had only one sack. They even hit on a pretty spectacular 64 yard TD. They got back to even in turnover ratio with four last night. Their secondary proved to be much stronger than I thought they were. And all of this with key first team players out of the game.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm liking how this season is playing out and I'm pretty sure they're going to go on a tear here for the remainder of the year.

Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Early entrant for dumb post of the week.

Once again do we look like contenders? NOPE

Classic Web Zone thread - bordering on the absurd. Everything about the Niners team performance was great except for the passing game. The defense was absolute nails, special teams repeatedly held them in bad field position, the punter boomed 60-yarders, the running game was amazing. And this was against the #1 defense in the league, a defense that is very strong against the run and the pass. The defense was playing one of the top 7 or 8 offenses in the league. They annihilated them. The passing game had a grand total of 15 attempts. Kaepernick actually looked like he was gaining a little patience in the pocket. He held his ground a little longer than he has the past few games. He hit check-down receivers a couple of times after waiting for receivers to come open. He hit Davis in stride with a mid-level perfect pass for a 64 yarder. There were a couple of significant drops and some knock downs the Texans routinely get every week. So, it's not even like the passing game was as bad as the numbers would suggest. And what we get is an absurd question and an absurd thread. Whiners.

First off number 1 defense ranking doesn't mean squat. They're number 1 in total defense yet dead last in red zone defense soooo yea. So you're telling me you believe this team can contend with the likes of Denver or the saints right now? I think not. The running game won't always bail us out like it did tonight. We need all phases of the offense to be clicking to be legit contenders. Once again no body it's whining or crying. You guys who are satisfied with that type of performance aren't looking at the big picture here.

Put down the crack pipe...

What does a team need to go far in January? 1) Dominant Defense 2) Running game... check and check. We are a couple weeks away from MM coming back, then we get Patton and then we Crabs (hopefully). And we are still missing our top two defenders, and have two CB3's out.

Thats the big picture, we dominated with our depth... which you fail to realize. And we got a pretty good shot at going 6-2 at the midseason break.

How did that dominate defense and running game do in 2011?? Came up short in the championship game. Lets just say we did make it back to the super bowl and had to go up against a guy named Manning.. Do you believe the crappy Qb/Wr play will be adequate to win? I don't think so. We're banking on two injured WR's to come back and save us but we really have no clue how thats going to pan out. Yes I see we have great defensive depth, still doesn't solve the problems we've had all season on offense (exception gb game)..

we were stomping the crap out of them..if we pass more..then you would be upset that we are not running the ball.

we did had no business passing yesterday if we didnt need to
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by buck:
I would not even think of telling you that.

I do think that we can contend with, and perhaps even beat, the Arizona Cardinals, right now.

Denver is not on our schedule.

We have five games and a bye week before we play the Saints. I will give you an answer on the Saints when it seems a bit more relevant.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming all games are gimme's because we played pretty well on ST and D against an imploding schaub led Texans.

Every game will be a challenge, if we can't put 200 yards on the ground by hook or by crook.

Kaep can throw the ball. His confidence is shot from Seattle and Indy.. Plus our WRs suck outside of Anquan. They fit Baldwin in there a bit more and I'm sure over time it will increase.

At THIS point - I don't see people stopping us on the ground unless they sell out. With VD healthy (that hurt a lot vs. Indy), we can do what we did last night... 8-10 yard conversions on 3rd down. Once our run game's effectiveness loosened them up, he went over the top.

We have 3 capable backs (LMJ looked pretty good out there late in the game too!) to do a lot of damage with. This team is in grind mode and we win grind games. Our O-Line is absolute beast when it comes to the run. Best in the league, IMO.

I'm not worried about any of our opponents upcoming that will stop the run. The talent level is just not there on the opposing D-Line.

That's just it, eventually teams are going to start selling out to stop the run and I have faith that in a game like that Kap will get back to his old ways. We are at a an unfortunate crossroads where our you QB has hit a little of a sophmore slump. Normally the solution to that would be relying on his go to reciever and a heavy dose of tight end throws to get his confidence up....well guess what the TE he trusts best was hurt and clearly still moving slowly, and his trusted reciever is 50/50 to play in december much less now. Bolden has been helpfull in stretches, but despite his amazing hands and physical strength he doesnt have that ability to get seperation or beat double coverage as consistantly as a kid like Kap needs right now.

The solution is exactly what we are doing, pound the enemy with the run until they sell out to beat you. Then when these second tier cast offs and rookies start to get openmuch faster against the diminished coverage and Kap will have ample opportunity to work out the kinks in his game that have cropped up over the last three games. Kap's crisis is clearly one of confidence, he isnt alway reading the D because he doesnt trust guys to get open, he stares down a receiver some times because there is no faith that another will appear, he escapes to early on occasion rather than climb the pocket because he doesnt think buying time will get a reciever open. What I see is an instinctual, natural player out there think way to much... a couple of games where he can spread the ball around without the safeties hanging back every play to double the precious few targets he trusts will be just what the doctor ordered.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

It is sad, isn't it. The Niners are 3-2 with the far most brutal part of their schedule behind them. The Seahawks lost, so the Niners are just one game behind. The Niners have four absolutely winnable games coming up giving them four or five weeks to work on the passing game before they go to New Orleans. They just held the #1 offense in yardage in the NFL to their season low and 3 points. They ran all over one of the best run defenses in the league. The leagues leading sacker and a complete stud had only one sack. They even hit on a pretty spectacular 64 yard TD. They got back to even in turnover ratio with four last night. Their secondary proved to be much stronger than I thought they were. And all of this with key first team players out of the game.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm liking how this season is playing out and I'm pretty sure they're going to go on a tear here for the remainder of the year.

I agree with all of this we had a couple of games where the coaches messed up and had bad game plans. Its clear the way the roster is right now that running and defense is the strong point of our team. The bottom line is if you can't enjoy a 34-3 ass whooping of one of the best teams in the league you got some issues.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
do you still think we are wasting roster space and time on special teams players? just kidding you,, but man, you gotta be pleased with all phases of special teams last night and what a nice improvement over last years special ed teams that cost us over and over
I agree with all of this we had a couple of games where the coaches messed up and had bad game plans. Its clear the way the roster is right now that running and defense is the strong point of our team. The bottom line is if you can't enjoy a 34-3 ass whooping of one of the best teams in the league you got some issues.

Sadly, it's hard to appreciate a good game when you are used to winning super bowls. I think that old farts like me are spoiled having watched our favorite team enjoy year in year out competitive advantage through a superior system. We keep trying to get back to that, even when we don't necessarily have the experience and savvy in the booth to make it happen to the same degree.

That's where I'm coming from, anyway.
Originally posted by cciowa:
do you still think we are wasting roster space and time on special teams players? just kidding you,, but man, you gotta be pleased with all phases of special teams last night and what a nice improvement over last years special ed teams that cost us over and over

No, absolutely. I think it was a high point. Real progress from preseason. Keep it going.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Also, do not count on Crabs or Manningham this season. Both had very tough injuries for receivers.

This is a good point. We do not know what will happen with Crabtree or Manningham. We clearly can not count on them.

Besides, as I and others have said in the past -- personnel is not the only issue we face when trying to get a pass game together. So even if we had these guys back 100% there is still much work to be done to have a polished evenly balanced spread-it-around attack.

OK. Seems obvious that the problems of the passing game extend beyond the deficits at wide receiver.

Kaepernick has to play better. The position coaches have to do better work. Play calling needs to improve.
The offensive line needs to provide better and more consistent protection. Harbaugh has to do better work with Kaepernick.
Baalke can do a better job at getting us, in the draft or free agency, better wide receivers.

But, these problems do not take away from the importance or the quality of the game the team played against the Texans.
Some posters thought the Texans would bully us. Some thought that we could not overcome the play of JJ Watt.

My guess is that the team put together a much better game than you imagined that it could.

If we don't accomplish this goal, I don't see us as being serious contenders for championship. I think we're more like 2011 -- strong bridesmaids who will be exposed somewhere along the line as having no means to move the ball against a superior, well playing defense.

If you do not think we are serious contenders for the championship, you are entitled to your opinion.

But, the fact is we are contenders for the championship--and that is undeniable after five games.

Football is played on the field, not on the internet. My ability to predict the future is weak.

I am willing to see what actually happens.
If Ray Mac is okay it'll be the most satisfied I've been with a win all season.

Originally posted by buck:
If you do not think we are serious contenders for the championship, you are entitled to your opinion.
I am willing to see what actually happens.

Sorry, no we are not. If we continue to be in the bottom 5 in three and outs, we are simply not contenders. Sorry. That is too much of a deficit to ask our defense to make up. Maybe if we had the Steel Curtain and averaged 6 sacks a game from 4 different different people, then, yes, we can make a field goal lead hold up for 45 minutes, sure, we're contenders. But, we are not there. We do not have 6 HoF players on our defense. Only 2.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM ]
its amazing how many points we put up and yet our QB only completed 6 passes... we handled the Texans last night, but what if Denver comes in? can we go on a touchdown shootout with them? i want to see Colin throw the ball to 4-5 receivers and go for 300+ yards a game!

Amen.
  • buck
  • Veteran
This absolutely. Young kids are acquitting themselves very well.

But, you just can do not seem capable of controlling your apparent disdain for the team's leadership.

I advocate less hierarchical pecking order and more easygoing subbing. I think that moves towards a team-based, unit based mentality, less I am a superstar, you are a sub team-undermining mentality.

Let me get this straight.

You think that Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman, Boone, Staley, V. Davis, et al are overly concerned with their status as superstars.

I have no seen indication at all, not even a scintilla of a possible inkling that these guys look at the other members of the team with this team undermining mentality.
Either you have information that is not available to us common folk or you are seriously delusional.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM ]
Not me. Winning by 30 is for suckers. I can't believe we didn't win by 50.
Share 49ersWebzone