There are 396 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who's impressed with this win?

Who's impressed with this win?

Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Early entrant for dumb post of the week.

Once again do we look like contenders? NOPE

Winning big against a good Houston team without Willis, Aldon, Crabtree, Manningham, Culliver, and Ray Mac for a big chunk of that game? I would say absolutely yes they look like contenders.

I think if they can maintain a 6-2 record into the bye and start getting these guys back, teams better be worried. It only bodes well for a big late-season surge.

Kap did not look great last night and only completed 6 passes but those six passes were pretty big when they happened. Last year it was clear that Crabtree was Mr. 3rd down, and Kap misses that so far, but he is not making stupid mistakes that will kill the team. I'd bet Houston fans would be ok with his performance last night if the tables were turned.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Put down the crack pipe...

What does a team need to go far in January? 1) Dominant Defense 2) Running game... check and check. We are a couple weeks away from MM coming back, then we get Patton and then we Crabs (hopefully). And we are still missing our top two defenders, and have two CB3's out.

Thats the big picture, we dominated with our depth... which you fail to realize. And we got a pretty good shot at going 6-2 at the midseason break.

Avoiding the argument here, the list of players missing puts the results recently into perspective.

Not just quantity. Some of out best players are gone for now. I would never have thought without Willis, Smith, Crabtree, Manningham, etc etc gone we would still be hanging on.

Kudos to Wilhoite and all the other dudes who are stepping up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,242
Originally posted by English:
Avoiding the argument here, the list of players missing puts the results recently into perspective.

Not just quantity. Some of out best players are gone for now. I would never have thought without Willis, Smith, Crabtree, Manningham, etc etc gone we would still be hanging on.

Kudos to Wilhoite and all the other dudes who are stepping up.
Jh did a nice job of keeping things in check and having no house divided after our two game losing streak.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Put down the crack pipe...

What does a team need to go far in January? 1) Dominant Defense 2) Running game... check and check. We are a couple weeks away from MM coming back, then we get Patton and then we Crabs (hopefully). And we are still missing our top two defenders, and have two CB3's out.

Thats the big picture, we dominated with our depth... which you fail to realize. And we got a pretty good shot at going 6-2 at the midseason break.

Avoiding the argument here, the list of players missing puts the results recently into perspective.

Not just quantity. Some of out best players are gone for now. I would never have thought without Willis, Smith, Crabtree, Manningham, etc etc gone we would still be hanging on.

Kudos to Wilhoite and all the other dudes who are stepping up.

not just hanging on ..but put a whooping to a pretty good offense..i was really worried that we would get burned up and down the field
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Once Crabtree and Mario are back , our playbook will expand and Kaeperknick will have more options

I'm not b***hing , but I'd like to see McDonald get more involved in the passing game, throw him a bone here and there, he's got skills to help sharpen our attack

I was very encouraged to see the first pass target Baldwin. Unfortunately, it looked like it was intended to be a back shoulder throw but was way overthrown. Kaep did come back to him later in the game and Baldwin made a spectacular leaping catch, but again, the ball was overthrown and JB came down out of bounds. After that, Kaepernick never appeared to even look Baldwin's direction.

Roman's refusal to use McDonald in short to medium zones continues to befuddled me. There is a great possibility there but HaRo continue to ignore it. SMH
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,090
We've just got to hold down the fort until we get our injured players back. I don't care about the stats, just keep winning, baby!
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Yeah i dont know what people are complaining about. We won 34-3 with our QB only completing 6 balls. how many other teams can win like that?

That game last night has me thinking more positively than ever about this year. Our secondary played the best game of the season, our front 7 did OK, but when i consider A. Smith and P. Willis both missing and some young backups getting reps I am 100% fine with this as it will only improve later in the season when it actually matters.

Offensively our run game seems to be back on track these last 2 weeks, and Kaep although not thorwing for 300yds and 3 Tds each game has been efficient and moved the chains and put up points. Just thinking again about later in the season when our 3 WRs could be Crabtree, Boldin and Manningham has me really excited.

We need our players healthy and ready to go late in the season and playoffs. Until then anytime we can get a win (ugly, fancy etc) is fine by me. Especially vs a team like Houston.

Come again?

Also, do not count on Crabs or Manningham this season. Both had very tough injuries for receivers. Besides, as I and others have said in the past -- personnel is not the only issue we face when trying to get a pass game together. So even if we had these guys back 100% there is still much work to be done to have a polished evenly balanced spread-it-around attack that moves the chains and keeps DC's from stuffing us by just keying on 1 or 2 players.

If we don't accomplish this goal, I don't see us as being serious contenders for championship. I think we're more like 2011 -- strong bridesmaids who will be exposed somewhere along the line as having no means to move the ball against a superior, well playing defense.
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
Stats don't win games, but everyone plays Fantasy Football and that is all they care about


Yeah, lets not confuse fantasy football with reality. Tired of hearing about pass attempts. What was needed in this game was amply delivered.
We won 34-3 and people are complaining

Lol. Niner talk for ya
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,090
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
We won 34-3 and people are complaining

Lol. Niner talk for ya


They were the #1 D in the league, too.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,072
Originally posted by jays9ers:
So you're telling me you believe this team can contend with the likes of Denver or the saints right now? I think not.

I would not even think of telling you that.

I do think that we can contend with, and perhaps even beat, the Arizona Cardinals, right now.

Denver is not on our schedule.

We have five games and a bye week before we play the Saints. I will give you an answer on the Saints when it seems a bit more relevant.
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
We won 34-3 and people are complaining

Lol. Niner talk for ya

so much of this!

Do you think the Steelers fans complain that Roethlisberger had a bad game during their his first SB win? Umm, no... Winning is what this game is about. How you win depends on several factors, including game situations (as in we were winning big which necessitated conservative running attack)...
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Early entrant for dumb post of the week.

Once again do we look like contenders? NOPE

Winning big against a good Houston team without Willis, Aldon, Crabtree, Manningham, Culliver, and Ray Mac for a big chunk of that game? I would say absolutely yes they look like contenders.

I think if they can maintain a 6-2 record into the bye and start getting these guys back, teams better be worried. It only bodes well for a big late-season surge.

Kap did not look great last night and only completed 6 passes but those six passes were pretty big when they happened. Last year it was clear that Crabtree was Mr. 3rd down, and Kap misses that so far, but he is not making stupid mistakes that will kill the team. I'd bet Houston fans would be ok with his performance last night if the tables were turned.
@jays9ers - You can't be serious... Before last night. most people thought the Texans/49ers game was a toss up. Both teams have their struggles but both have tons of star quality and potential. We played lights out for 4 qtrs, allowed 3 points and dominated on Primetime. We did so with missing a lot of key guys. We know that Kaep has the ability to light it up if he is in the groove and has his weapons. He did it against Green Bay this year, and last year against the Pats, Bears, etc... If you are worried about the stat line on the offensive side of the ball, you should probably get used to being disappointed with our victories. The 49ers will lean on the Oline with Gore and Hunter and the D to play solid. No reason for Kaep to air it out if he doesn't have to.

Ball control and win the turnover battle!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,090
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
So you're telling me you believe this team can contend with the likes of Denver or the saints right now? I think not.

I would not even think of telling you that.

I do think that we can contend with, and perhaps even beat, the Arizona Cardinals, right now.

Denver is not on our schedule.

We have five games and a bye week before we play the Saints. I will give you an answer on the Saints when it seems a bit more relevant.


That Saints game is going to be a doozy.