There are 183 users in the forums

Who's impressed with this win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's impressed with this win?

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
69-14 last two games and of course people on the webzone arent happy lol

You have no problem with our passing game? Just because people say there are things to work on doesn't mean they aren't happy with the win.

The plan was to clearly stick to the run and be conservative. There was no urgency to start chucking it just for statistics sake.
  • buck
  • Veteran

You have no problem with our passing game? Just because people say there are things to work on doesn't mean they aren't happy with the win.

I find many of the posts to be much more than people simply saying that there are things to work on.
We had a 21-0 lead without lifting a finger lol. It made sense to ground and pound the entire game. We called 37 runs and just 15 passes. Won the game by 31 points. Seems like a winning formula.

I've kind of excepted the fact that our passing game is going to be bad until we get guys healthy. I'm not too worried about it because I think this team is talented enough to win until then. If Kap continues to struggle when Crab and Mario get back, then we have a problem.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Nobody gets great passing stats against the Texans, which is why they have the number one passing D. Russel Wilson was 12/23 for 123 yards (that included overtime), Flacco was 16/24 for 171 yards, Locker was 17/30 for 148 yards, and even Philip Rivers was 14/29 for 195 yards. Obviously the 49ers came into this game not wanting to put the ball in the air too much against this Texans D, which is why Kap only had 15 attempts the entire game. I'll be honest, I was a little concerned for the first time about Kap during this game, but I do think the Niners had the right game plan against this Texans D. The bottom line is it was a straight up butt-whooping against a pretty good team, and one of the most talented in the NFL. Would I have liked for Kap to have 300 yards passing and 3 TDs? Absolutely. But you take your wins whichever way you get them. And this was a pretty impressive win top to bottom.

None of the above mentioned guys are good passers IMO.

Oh I think Rivers is a very good passer and a very underrated player. He puts up big numbers time and again. Flacco also usually puts up much bigger numbers than he did against the Texans. I'm not saying there are no issues with Kap's passing game. I think there are, and I am genuinely concerned about it. But to only have 15 attempts all game is a sign of what the gameplan was coming in.
The title of the thread is "Who's impressed with this win?", not "Who's impressed with Kap's stats?" The win was impressive against this Texans team, whichever way you look at it.

The plan was to clearly stick to the run and be conservative. There was no urgency to start chucking it just for statistics sake.

I'd agree with that but I'd expect more. That being said I think it will get better though as we face easier teams. Seems like we are just trying to hold on with the run game until we get Manningham and Crabtree back.

Side note though I know some posters only point out the bad thing and I'd call them whiners but I point out good things as well as the bad. I'll call it like I see it and try not to have rose colored glasses on. I'm happy with every win I just feel there are always things to improve on. I will guarantee you the players and coaches will tell you the same thing. They always want to get better; if they settled they wouldn't be in the NFL.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM ]
The title of the thread is "Who's impressed with this win?", not "Who's impressed with Kap's stats?" The win was impressive against this Texans team, whichever way you look at it.

Yup. I think the fact we beat a a pretty good team by 31 points, despite all our injury issues and not even playing our best football is impressive.

That was a great defensive performance for the 2nd week in a row. We're missing Aldon and Willis, who are Top 10 in the league regardless of position as voted by the players, and didn't miss a beat.

Offensively, while Kap has some issues he's dealing with, the bigger story has been rediscovering our true identity. We are now in a position to score points and win games by running the s**t out of the ball until our WRs get healthy. Then we can look forward to improvement in the passing game.
Yes, I'm impressed with this win.

F*&% stats!!!!
  • buck
  • Veteran

It also did not say "Who's impressed with Kaepernick's play."

The win was impressive, and the quality of the play of Kaepernick does not subtract from that, in fact the quality of his play could make the win even more impressive.

Think of this (and this is just for purpose of illustration):

This win was impressive precisely because our quarterback played like a chump and we still whooped their butts.

If he had played well, the NFL might have invoked a mercy rule.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Yes, I'm impressed with this win.

F*&% stats!!!!

this!!!

when we win i dont care about the stats,
Houston is a really good team, their D is a top D with JJ so this is a good W against a playoff team

70% of posters say they are impressed with the win.
Originally posted by English:
70% of posters say they are impressed with the win.

The other 30% are probably still upset about the choice in QB.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I'd agree with that but I'd expect more. That being said I think it will get better though as we face easier teams. Seems like we are just trying to hold on with the run game until we get Manningham and Crabtree back.

Side note though I know some posters only point out the bad thing and I'd call them whiners but I point out good things as well as the bad. I'll call it like I see it and try not to have rose colored glasses on. I'm happy with every win I just feel there are always things to improve on. I will guarantee you the players and coaches will tell you the same thing. They always want to get better; if they settled they wouldn't be in the NFL.

I do not of any rational person who thinks the team does not have to make improvements in a variety of areas.

The fact that there are still problems that the team needs to solve does not automatically mean this win was not impressive.

What is the opposite of "rose colored glasses"--what color are the glasses that only allow a person to see the negative.

edit: Be Impressed. Celibate. But only for the night because a new work week starts tomorrow, and more advances are needed.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:29 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm impressed overall, but not with certain facets.

Run defense not as dominant as it used to be, but that's been known this season. CK's wheels have almost fallen off. He does not play with confidence or swagger any more, doesn't seem to trust his receivers, and honestly it seems like he's in practice/development mode where he's doing trial and error with his throws. His two throws to Baldwin were essentially uncatchable.

He looks nothing like the player he was last year. Hard to determine what happened after Green Bay. He's a massively athletic, physical freak, but on the field his play has regressed to that of a journeyman game manager who makes just a few good-to-decent throws a game.

I hope he snaps out of this.

green bay bit so hard on shutting down the run to the point kap could have closed his eyes and just chucked it down the field and one of our guys could have caught it....

im no qb coach but theyve got to get him to learn how to get thru multiple reads and pick his best option.
hes locking on to boldin or vernon.

has anyone else noticed anytime he has a chance to break a run for another 10 yards he slows down and looks to throw?
im sure thats the coaches saying look for the throw before you take off but ive personally seen so many gaps where im sure hes seen them too, he could take off but he is always looking for someone to be open.

thats the signs of an elite quarterback but if u can run, RUN DUDE!
[ Edited by VancouverNiner on Oct 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by VancouverNiner:
green bay bit so hard on shutting down the run to the point kap could have closed his eyes and just chucked it down the field and one of our guys could have caught it....

im no qb coach but theyve got to get him to learn how to get thru multiple reads and pick his best option.
hes locking on to boldin or vernon.

has anyone else noticed anytime he has a chance to break a run for another 10 yards he slows down and looks to throw?
im sure thats the coaches saying look for the throw before you take off but ive personally seen so many gaps where im sure hes seen them too, he could take off but he is always looking for someone to be open.

thats the signs of an elite quarterback but if u can run, RUN DUDE!

A lot of the plays that have been called recently are 1-2 read plays by design. You don't just tell a QB to start reading the entire field and he turns on a read switch one day. It's a process. He's going through it. Try to force too much onto him too early and you get a 3 INT performance (see "vs Seattle").
Share 49ersWebzone