Who's impressed with this win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's impressed with this win?

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Kap played well.

How can you say this?

How can you say he played poorly? He made good throws. You say he didn't, I say he did. We watched two different games apparently.

In the post above I outlined the throws that stood out to me.

I think it's more of a middle ground... He missed some throws and was generally uncomfortable in the pocket. He also didn't make any major mistakes and played with a large lead and an opportunistic defense.

Watt is also a factor. He was in the backfield all game and on several occassions, he'd stop our inside run for a loss, backing us up and pretty much making a punting situation inevitable. The guy's an animal.

If this game was actually closer, I think we'd have been more aggressive on offense.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
I think 3 of the incomplete passes were blocked by the Houston pass rush. Plus you had a screen pass that had to be thrown low because Watt was between Kaep and the receiver. That quick screen was dropped by the receiver, though it was catchable.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Bottom line we can't win a super bowl with this type of offensive play.. Talk all you about a win is a win, still doesn't mask that we have big issues with this inept offense.

See Dilfer, Trent. I agree our offense is not playing perfect football right now, but we dominated a good team. Enjoy the win.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Early entrant for dumb post of the week.

+1. And yes, we're starting to look more and more like contenders (especially in having to deal with all these injuries to not only some of our best talent, but some of the best talent in the league in Willis, Aldon, etc.).

Can't believe some fans haven't figured out how critical these losses are to our team. You can't just lose the best young pass rusher in the league, the best ILB in the league and your top WR and not miss a beat. No team can sustain those types of critical losses and look just as good as they did when those guys are on the field...the trick is to find a way to win. And so far, through the toughest part of the schedule, we're 3-2 and back in the chase. Realistically, that's more than we could've hoped for given all that's gone on.

+1. Nice post and on the mark. Through this tough stretch of the schedule with all that's gone on with the team, key injuries, rehab, etc., I'll take 3-2 and improving. We just blew out a good Houston team...and, our offense only had to do so much in doing it. Our D is starting to step up...wait until Willis and Aldon come back (and, hopefully reinforcements later this year w/ Tank, Dial, and/or maybe an outsider - Seymour? - if McDonald is out for awhile).
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Oct 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think it's more of a middle ground... He missed some throws and was generally uncomfortable in the pocket. He also didn't make any major mistakes and played with a large lead and an opportunistic defense.

Watt is also a factor. He was in the backfield all game and on several occassions, he'd stop our inside run for a loss, backing us up and pretty much making a punting situation inevitable. The guy's an animal.

If this game was actually closer, I think we'd have been more aggressive on offense.

Yes, of course. That is what I am trying to explain to some people. If the game was closer, Kap would have had 30 attempts, with probably 200 yards and a TD. That is darn good against the Texans.

But because it was a blowout, people are on his ass for not having the passing attempts, which is something that he can't control.
Now we have a tough division game vs a hungry ARI team. Both of us 3-2 and in this division chase still. Must win this week
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Oct 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM ]
It's 2011 all over again. I'll take it.
Originally posted by rdc1:
Put this game in perspective.

The first time the 49ers had the ball they drove down for a touchdown putting them up 14-0. During that drive Kaep was 3 out of 5 including two third down pass completions. The next time the 49ers got the ball they drove 37 yards rushing before Gore lost 4 on first down setting up 2nd and 14. The next two passes were to Boldin and were incomplete. The next time the 49ers got the ball they drove for a touchdown without a pass having to be made. Basically at that point it became a don't make a mistake game, When it started to look like the Texans might pick up some momentum (however slight) in the second half you got the VD touchdown.

No need to pass much, No need to take risks when passing. Most of the passes that were incomplete were pretty accurate. Some were very well defensed. Only a couple were off target one was over throw to Davis (Davis seemed to be moving a bit slower than normal on that one) and one to Boldin.

The pass statistics were pretty reflective of a game where not much as needed.

This

Yes, of course. That is what I am trying to explain to some people. If the game was closer, Kap would have had 30 attempts, with probably 200 yards and a TD. That is darn good against the Texans.

But because it was a blowout, people are on his ass for not having the passing attempts, which is something that he can't control.

Well he could audible passes technically speaking, but why risk stupids mistakes or turnovers, when all you have to do is kill time and keep letting your defense do what they have been doing.
Originally posted by rdc1:
I think 3 of the incomplete passes were blocked by the Houston pass rush. Plus you had a screen pass that had to be thrown low because Watt was between Kaep and the receiver. That quick screen was dropped by the receiver, though it was catchable.

Davis dropped a beauty thrown down the middle. Baldwin couldn't keep his feet in bounds on a nicely floated jump ball.
Like you said, the screen, and then two or three passes deflected at the line, which the Texans are excellent at doing. One pass was thrown to nowhere, obviously a mis-communication.
Oh ya, a couple passes were missed because the DB flat out threw the receiver out of position before the catch.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Sure, I am glad to have any win, and if it is messy, so be it. But Kap is a huge concern . Anybody really recognize the guy playing QB out there? I sure didn't. A good thing is Coach only called for 15 passes because he realized kap was good as a game manager, but not much else. We got an elephant in the living room and nobody is scared? Cripes what does it take, another drubbing by SEA to make folks realize, we won with all D tonite, 4+ turnover, bringing us back to even for the season. We beat a dejected , downtrodden, otherwise great team tonite, with virtually no O but Frank. That is fine for a wounded team, but we would get killed playing the Saints like that.

Kap has literally lost it, and I wonder if he wouldn't benefit from having Colt start for a couple easy games, and have Kap stand beside coach H, and see if he can reconnect with his game. Tonite's Kap showing was....well, embarrassing. A W is a W. No question about that. But when we get a team really on their game like INDY, we would get rammycackled. This W, like any W was great...but was overshadowed by the disappearance of our QB. He CAN complete 6-8 yrd passes(Vernon, Anquan), but after two of those in first qtr, coach never called another one...until later when Kap waited and then waited some more before throwing 4 short passes, all knocked down by DL. Had he thrown those passes on his 2nd or 3rd step, he would have completed them. Instead, he waited, like a guy doubting his confidence, and 4 got blocked. That is ugly and getting worse, 4 games in a row, last two ugly wins. Somebody find Kap, because, it seems, he has left the building.

If your QB tanks, it is a coaching problem , because we all know Kap has "it". But he has lost "it", and it is JH's job to get "it" back and revive kap. Otherwise, we just traded one game manager for another...and we all know, Kap is way better than that. Somehow, did our coaches screw kap up? Was it moving him to the pocket which he doesn't seem to do to well in? Is Kap sick? jH has a mammoth problem on his hands. I hope he knows how to fix it.

In the end KUDOS to our D , who, along with OL and FRank, won this game. Whatever happened to Kap, let's pray JH can fix it. Kap can't just be a game manager and get us to and thru the SB. He has to be what he used to be, or he will end up literally just managing the game. That is why we traded alex. Remember?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'm glad you had the courage to post this. I think it's accurate. I'm not sure if it's all Kap, or staff not finding a situation besides the read option that will work for him.

But your observations seem accurate. Yeah It's a problem if we lose 30-0 or win 30-0. We are going nowhere long term without effective, professional quarterbacking.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I appreciate the quality of your posts, man. But there is no way Colt McCoy can get more out of this receiving core than Kap. That's crazy talk. If you think things are ugly right now, you better pray McCoy never sees the field.

It's OK to reel Kap back in for the time being. The WR core is literally pure horse s**t. Nobody is capable of winning on the outside, not even Boldin. He's only been effective from the slot. We need to ground and pound until we get Crab and Mario healthy. Great thing about his team is that they are so talented we can win games with half the roster decimated with injuries.

First off, it is more than apparent there is a big problem with our passing game. Whether it is Kap or the receivers or both, it doesn't matter it just needs to be resolved quick !! Remember the beatdown in Seattle when we all thought it was the WRs fault for not getting open ? Well, I thought that too until someone posted the clips of receivers wide open with Kap just not covering his reads. Likewise, I can't say for sure what were the issues in this game until I see more clips.

The truth of the matter is we can't just rely on the run game and the D getting turnovers game in game out. Think about this for the moment, if Schaub didn't throw 3 picks with Tate fumbling, we would have been struggling big time to get points on the board. Even if we were to replay the Seahawks and Colts now and with our offense playing like this ? We would have lost again without a doubt.

I don't think playing McCoy is the answer, I don't know what the answer is, but I do know we can't just rest on the thought of "once Mario and Crab come back it will be just fine". It is the coaching staff and the QB's job to make it work or harness enough production from the existing receiving corps. Luckily, we are at the softer portion of our schedule from next week on, but we will still need to get this fixed pronto.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Now we have a tough division game vs a hungry ARI team. Both of us 3-2 and in this division chase still. Must win this week

Seems like that every week doesn't it?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
It's 2011 all over again. I'll take it.
The receiver talent is exactly 2011 all over again. As long as W's keep coming.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Well he could audible passes technically speaking, but why risk stupids mistakes or turnovers, when all you have to do is kill time and keep letting your defense do what they have been doing.

Fantasy football generation...
Originally posted by Rascal:
First off, it is more than apparent there is a big problem with our passing game. Whether it is Kap or the receivers or both, it doesn't matter it just needs to be resolved quick !! Remember the beatdown in Seattle when we all thought it was the WRs fault for not getting open ? Well, I thought that too until someone posted the clips of receivers wide open with Kap just not covering his reads. Likewise, I can't say for sure what were the issues in this game until I see more clips.

If you look at coaches film of Tom Brady. You can cherry pick 20 passes that should have gone elsewhere. It is easy to pick apart that stuff on tape.
Share 49ersWebzone