LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Our Defensive Line Situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So Dorsey gets injured and then TJE gets injured and then Dobbs has to play nose tackle. Dial's going to have to be ready to play in some capacity for the next game whether he's ready or not. Suck it up Fangio and just activate him, have him ready to be active.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's time for Quinton Dial to step up and they have to trust him. Not this Fangio stuff where well we don't know if he will play.

Yeah. Fangio is going to have to quickly rethink that idea of how soon they can be ready.
Dial went to Alabama. He's practically been on a pro team for 4 years. Just play him Fangio.
Surprised nothing has come out from the post game press conference about Dorsey's injury.
this is all I can find on Dorsey, has anyone else seen anything?

@MaioccoCSN2h
49ers NT Glenn Dorsey, removed in first quarter, had right hamstring wrapped in locker room: "Yeah, it's cool. It'll be all right," he said.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/389564057591627776
The Niners don't have much of a choice. It's Purcell off the PS if Dorsey is out and then get Dial and Carradine up to speed as soon as possible. Don't see them signing a Seymour because of the cap situation. Then again, there has been more trade talk and trade activity in the NFL then I can remember. We have the picks.................time to use them.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
As long as Fangio doesn't turn into Fangina, we'll be cool going into the BYE.....
Was Dial decent in college?
Originally posted by matt49er:

@MaioccoCSN2h
49ers NT Glenn Dorsey, removed in first quarter, had right hamstring wrapped in locker room: "Yeah, it's cool. It'll be all right," he said.

In Maiocco's article he followed that statement about Dorsey with "he is likely to miss some game action." I don't know exactly what game action is, whether it's snaps or entire games, but hopefully he heals up quickly.

The shift in the game once they started running at TJE (or whoever was trying to replace the void left from Dorsey) was dramatic.
We're just lucky the cards were not smart enough to exploit the middle of our line like they could have...we could not stop the run and it was that fumble caused by Willis that saved us

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Yea. I mean as decent as any other Bama linemen.

Sabans Dlines for the past 3 years have been focused on controlled pressure.

He wants players to first and foremost maintain the integrity of the pocket. If a player gets outside his gap he will get an earful after the play.

Playing against the mobile QB/spread offense has caused Saban to abandon the traditional pass rushing fronts for containment principles.

This means Dial didn't put up big numbers, and his performances were very blue collar.

From time to time he showed glimpses of guy that could beat the single block, and he's trench warrior.

Ultimately, I think this is the type of guy we need at NT. If Tomsula can turn Ian Williams into a legit prospect I'm very intrigued to see what he can do with Dial.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by socalniner:
We're just lucky the cards were not smart enough to exploit the middle of our line like they could have...we could not stop the run and it was that fumble caused by Willis that saved us

Actually that's exactly what the Cards did. At least that's what it looked like. They started running multiple backs up the middle in the 2nd half.
Originally posted by socalniner:

Exactly. If I'm not mistaken, they actually had moderate success running delays and quick hitters up the middle. The turning point was when they decided to give Alfonso Smith the carry -- instead of Ellington or Mendenhall. After that fumble, we dominated the clock and made their run-game moot.
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Yea. I mean as decent as any other Bama linemen.

Sabans Dlines for the past 3 years have been focused on controlled pressure.

He wants players to first and foremost maintain the integrity of the pocket. If a player gets outside his gap he will get an earful after the play.

Playing against the mobile QB/spread offense has caused Saban to abandon the traditional pass rushing fronts for containment principles.

This means Dial didn't put up big numbers, and his performances were very blue collar.

From time to time he showed glimpses of guy that could beat the single block, and he's trench warrior.

Ultimately, I think this is the type of guy we need at NT. If Tomsula can turn Ian Williams into a legit prospect I'm very intrigued to see what he can do with Dial.

If the reports are true and he is weighing in at 350 lbs, I hope he will be good. I forget the name of the GB NT from years back, but I hated when the Niners played him because he wrecked the Oline.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM ]
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by matt49er:

@MaioccoCSN2h

In Maiocco's article he followed that statement about Dorsey with "he is likely to miss some game action." I don't know exactly what game action is, whether it's snaps or entire games, but hopefully he heals up quickly.

The shift in the game once they started running at TJE (or whoever was trying to replace the void left from Dorsey) was dramatic.

I didn't see that...damn! you got the link by chance?
Share 49ersWebzone