There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PFF 49ers Ranking (thanks Phoenix49ers)

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I could agree with that. Over a stretch of games their ratings should be reasonably accurate. But grading football players is tough. Even the paid professionals have a tough time identifying who is good, and who is not. More so than Baseball and Basketball IMO. In those two sports you can more easily isolate individual performance. I like PFF though, and I use it a long with other resources to find out what the hell is going on out there.

Obviously, actually seeing what goes on in the game is important but over 4 years, I've begun to trust PFF. You don't find a situation where at the end of a season a guy is ranked poorly by them and still somehow had a good season, it doesn't happen. Its not the only resource out there, nor should their word be taken as gospel truth but I find them to be highly reliable and I made this thread to share information that others might find interesting. I simply don't like it when people criticize it blindly like the guy above you but don't give any sound logical reasoning or evidence to back up their view. Like the numbers or hate them, they've proven to be fairly on point.

They have a document explains their grading system.

They do some things that are not normal. The seem to round sacks up. So, 14.5 sacks would be listed as 15.

But, all in all, I feel comfortable with their grading system and their professionalism.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/
The 49ers are going to have to seriously game plan for Watt sliding over to Iupati's side during passing downs. Iupati is a stud run blocker, but does struggle in pass protection, and nobody is better than Watt. His 27.9 number at PFF grades him as the best player in the NFL, the highest in the league, and by a wide margin. Nobody else is in the 20's. That being said, he is due for an "off game", which probably means one sack, four or five tackles, one tackle for loss. A bit dinged up with a broken nose and groin pull. He broke his nose hitting Russell Wilson last week. Great matchup this week for the Niners interior OL. They need to bring their A game.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The 49ers are going to have to seriously game plan for Watt sliding over to Iupati's side during passing downs. Iupati is a stud run blocker, but does struggle in pass protection, and nobody is better than Watt. His 27.9 number at PFF grades him as the best player in the NFL, the highest in the league, and by a wide margin. Nobody else is in the 20's. That being said, he is due for an "off game", which probably means one sack, four or five tackles, one tackle for loss. A bit dinged up with a broken nose and groin pull. He broke his nose hitting Russell Wilson last week. Great matchup this week for the Niners interior OL. They need to bring their A game.

Glad to hear he is banged up, but he is also really pissed about the Seattle game.

I expect him to have a good game--and that will a problem--a problem not the kiss of death.

That is the one thing that bugs me most about Fangio, he plays things so vanilla, he doesn't move Justin around or Aldon really, meanwhile Houston moves everybody around, they'll put Watt wherever they think he can do the most damage.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That is the one thing that bugs me most about Fangio, he plays things so vanilla, he doesn't move Justin around or Aldon really, meanwhile Houston moves everybody around, they'll put Watt wherever they think he can do the most damage.

Watched the Texans game last week, and never seen a DL in the backfield as much. Playing on a different tier right now. The Niners need to adopt the approach that the Bears used last year on Watt. Double him on every down with the RG and RT and run right at him. You open up the rest of the defense to disrupt the flow of the offense, but you limit Watt's impact. 650 pounds of repetitive pounding is about the only way to slow him down.
Originally posted by boast:
this seems like it would be very helpful...

for Fantasy Football

This literally has nothing to do with fantasy football..

Pro Football Focus is a site that has a team of experts who watch and break down every play of every game, and assign a points system to every positive and negative aspect of each play (per player), and then give a total score.

So if Mike Iupati does a nice job on his assignments, and is only beat once or twice, he gets a good game score. Its about tracking production in ALL areas, not just basic ones. If you miss blocking assignments on a regular basis, or drop passes, your overall score suffers, even if you catch 13 TD's that year.

It sheds light on whos REALLY being a productive player, and who is hurting us.
Originally posted by Niners99:

for Fantasy Football

Pro Football Focus is a site that has a team of experts who watch and break down every play of every game, and assign a points system to every positive and negative aspect of each play (per player), and then give a total score.

So if Mike Iupati does a nice job on his assignments, and is only beat once or twice, he gets a good game score. Its about tracking production in ALL areas, not just basic ones. If you miss blocking assignments on a regular basis, or drop passes, your overall score suffers, even if you catch 13 TD's that year.

Quite contrary to the original post, which is why I can't stand fantasy football

But Iupati is a first ballot HOFer and worthy of a huge contract extension, ASAP. At lease that's what I've been told.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

for Fantasy Football

Quite contrary to the original post, which is why I can't stand fantasy football

Fantasy football really isnt about that type of strategy though. Its basically just gambling with a little influence based on your basic knowledge of the NFL.

You make educated guesses and hope you come out a little more lucky than your opponent that week.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

for Fantasy Football

Fantasy football really isnt about that type of strategy though. Its basically just gambling with a little influence based on your basic knowledge of the NFL.

You make educated guesses and hope you come out a little more lucky than your opponent that week.

That's what I was implying, which is why I can't stand it. haha
Updating after the Houston game

Rankings based on how PFF scored 49ers players during the Houston game

Best performances on offense

1. Joe Staley 3.7
2. Vernon Davis 2.8
3. Garrett Celek 1.1

*Garrett Celek...WTF? He had an outstanding game as a run-blocker.

Worst performances on offense

1. Anthony Davis -2.8
2. Mike Iupati -1.7
3. Jonathan Goodwin -1.0

*All three had very negative scores for pass-blocking, Staley played very well, Boone played decently but the rest of the OL was bad in pass protection

Best performances on defense

1. Tarell Brown 4.1
2. Tramaine Brock 2.8
3. Donte Whitner 2.6

Worst performances on defense
1. DeMarcus Dobbs -2.0
2. NaVorro Bowman -1.4
3. Ahmad Brooks -0.7

*The defense did really well, Bowman got hammered for his run defense and missing tackles, Dobbs was just missing...everything. Brooks didn't do poorly but he had the third lowest ranking on defense so that spot goes to him.

PFF gave Lemonier the strongest pass rush ranking on the 49ers defense.

Eric Reid had a pretty good ranking for run defense and Tony Jerod-Eddie received a very good ranking as well.
Thanks, Phoenix. Can you list Bruce Miller's and Vance's run blocking grades? I'm really curious how those graded in run blocking vs HOU. TIA.
Vance had a .1 run block grade and Miller was .4.
Originally posted by Disp:
Vance had a .1 run block grade and Miller was .4.

Thanks, Disp. Decent grades considering the front 7 they were going against.
49ers results against the Arizona Cardinals for Week 6

Top 3 ranked 49ers on offense

1. Joe Staley 4.8 Staley has been on fire lately, did well in both run-blocking and pass-blocking.
2. Anthony Davis 3.8 Had a great game, bouncing back from a nightmare of a game against Houston.
3. Vernon Davis 3.5 Self-explanatory, hamstring seems to be doing better.

Lowest 3 ranked 49ers on offense

1. Mike Iupati -2.8 Iupati continues to have a bad season as a pass-blocker.
2. Anquan Boldin -2.5 Got hammered for his run blocking and missing some key blocks during the game.
3. Alex Boone -1.2 Struggled in run blocking.

Top 3 ranked 49ers on defense

1. Carlos Rogers 4.5 He got beat on one long pass but otherwise he was basically shutting everything else down yesterday.
2. Corey Lemonier 3.7 Did well in every manner possible yesterday.
3. Eric Reid 3.0 Rookie is already looking like an All-Pro.

Lowest 3 ranked 49ers on defense

1. Dan Skuta -1.5
2. Tony Jerod-Eddie -1.2
3. N/A(Nobody else qualified)