There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New 49er running play

• fryet
  • Veteran
I just thought of a variant of the delayed HB/QB draw that I think would work well for the 49ers, since they have a QB that can run.

In a standard HB draw, the QB goes back to pass, and then hands off to the HB, who gets to run against a defense that thinks it is defending against the pass. A QB draw is similar, except the QB holds on to the ball instead.

My version is similar, but works best with a FB and QB, although you could use HB like Frank Gore + QB as well. I will describe this as a pro-set, with a HB and FB behind the line of scrimmage.

Step 1 - HB lines up for a pass, leaving only the FB and QB behind the LOS. It appears that the FB will be staying in to block for the QB.
Step 2 - Ball is snapped
Step 3 - FB goes up the middle, like they are running a pass route as well, QB is in pass posture
Step 4 - FB chips a defense lineman if necessary to open a hole
Step 5 - QB becomes a runner, and runs towards the hole
Step 6 - FB blocks the QB spy or anyone that was watching him as a pass receiver
Step 7 - QB runs through hole, and should be looking at a big gain since defender is being blocked by the FB

Thoughts? I have never played on a true football team, so no idea if this would work or not. I don't think I have ever seen it run, though. This would work best on an obvious passing down, and the defense playing man coverage (which we are seeing a lot of lately). The biggest drawback, is your QB will probably get his since he is a runner. This play would probably not work as well against a blitz, since the FB may be stopped at the hole, giving the QB nowhere to run.
So you want the QB to weave his way through the 2nd level of LBs? It could work if 4-5 yards is needed, but, like you said, it can put your QB in a lot of danger running through the heart of the defensive line. I think backup QBs would love this play.
It's called a QB draw...don't worry, it's been in playbooks for a long time, even if rarely called.
BILL WALSH RESURRECTED!
drop the controller, step back from the tv, yeah that' right moms calling its dinner time
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
drop the controller, step back from the tv, yeah that' right moms calling its dinner time

Step 1- Collect underpants

Step 2-

Step 3- PROFIT!
  • fryet
  • Veteran

Mom's dead and I'm 42 and very gainfully employed. I didn't realize that talking about potential plays makes me a Madden fanatic.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
BILL WALSH RESURRECTED!

Originally posted by fryet:

Mom's dead and I'm 42 and very gainfully employed. I didn't realize that talking about potential plays makes me a Madden fanatic.

Any roster moves or plays like this and you are labeled a Madden junkie. I think we should have a play design thread or something similar, start it up fry!
Originally posted by fryet:

chillax dude its all said in fun
Pretty sure I've seen something like this run before. Most likely with Tebow when he was at Florida or Denver. He's built like a FB/LB...6'3" 240. We may have done it last year @ GB with Kap, right before Akers 63 yard FG. Don't remember if the FB was involved on that play.

Designed runs that send your QB into the middle of the field is asking for trouble though. That's when they get their heads taken off. Even sliding is dangerous because defenders get so excited to blow up the QB, they hit them no matter what. I would only want my QB to run up the middle if it's a scramble and he has plenty of space to run and safely slide.
My new trick play:

Trips bunch formation, motion Vernon wide, pull Boldin on a sweep route, give boldin option of running or passing deep to VD
Yea, hate to burst your bubble but that's just a QB draw.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Yea, hate to burst your bubble but that's just a QB draw.

RB blocks on a QB draw? Ok, maybe it is not original. Technically, it doesn't even have to be a run up the middle. RB could also help the QB run off tackle or seal the edge.