There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can someone explain this to me??

Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
Ok what happens if Kaepernick goes down whos your #2 McCoy or Skelton two guys who didnt have good Careers thats why people are panic

Then McCoy or Skelton goes in until Kaepernick gets healthy. Daniels was never going to play a down for the 49ers, just like Tolzien never played a down.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by Disp:
The bottom line is B.J. was never going to play a down for us, so who cares? Third string players at other positions see the field pretty infrequently. Third string quarterbacks almost never do.

Ok what happens if Kaepernick goes down whos your #2 McCoy or Skelton two guys who didnt have good Careers thats why people are panic
So we would rather have a 7th round rookie with zero NFL expierience?

Russell Wilson was a Rookie and look what he did
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Don't forget about Marcus Cooper. He stepped into the starting lineup and locked down Hakeem Nicks. This big kid has the Chiefs really excited for his future!

On top of that we had a decent backup QB last year, Josh Johnson, who we cut for Tolzien, also cut.

Dont forget TE Marqueis Gray who the Browns happily scooped up.

So instead of this year having spots for young guys to develop like Cam, Daniels, Cooper, Gray...along with a solid backup who knows the system like Johnson...

We have....a hurt and old Nnamdi, stone hands Celek, Jermaine Cunningham??, McCoy, Skelton, Budda "f*ckin" Ventrone and now Kassim Osgood catching passes.

Good times

This. One thing that annoys me about the FO and their decisions sometimes the most is that they seem to get rid of young, fresh, up and coming players in favor of old, washed up or injured past their prime players or pile up on mediocre talent (Nnamdi, Osgood, McCoy, Skelton, Celek, Cunningham??? Really???). One thing I have to give Seattle props for is that they have a young, youthful squad of players that they develop around. I'd really want to see us do the same. Marcus Cooper, Marquiese Gray, and now even BJ Daniels getting away from us stings .
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM ]

Oh man...you've got to be kidding me. Daniels was a 7th round pick who almost wasn't even drafted.

Then McCoy or Skelton goes in until Kaepernick gets healthy. Daniels was never going to play a down for the 49ers, just like Tolzien never played a down.

Theres a BIG difference between BJ Daniels and Scott tolzien..Tolzien couldnt even move the chains in a Pre-season game
The bottom line is B.J. was never going to play a down for us, so who cares? Third string players at other positions see the field pretty infrequently. Third string quarterbacks almost never do.

Because Daniels has shown so much? I get it you like the kid...but he wasn't appreciably better the McCoy in preseason, just flashier against weaker competition. The fact is if either had to go in, or Skelton does and they play for more than a game or two the season is probably over anyway.

Oh man...you've got to be kidding me. Daniels was a 7th round pick who almost wasn't even drafted.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 7th Round

No he wasnt

Clearly for his next trick Daniels was going to walk on water.

So we would rather have a 7th round rookie with zero NFL expierience?

Russel Wilson is the exception, not the rule

And how many other elite QB's have come that late in the draft?
Originally posted by valrod33:

No he wasnt

And Daniels is no damn Tom Brady, he isn't even a Russel Wilson.....remains to be seen if he is even on the level of a guy like Josh Freeman who can't even hold down a job with the bucs.

And how many other elite QB's have come that late in the draft?

So he is elite now? Good to know.
I think something to keep in mind right now is that the Niners have been devastated by injuries this year. Some of these questionable decisions might be a result of the FO trying to build some depth in areas they never though they would have to worry about. I do think drafting two injured players was a little weird, but keep in mind, the FO is always looking forward. When not only these draftees start playing, but all the other injured players, the Niners could very well have a roster of stud players.

That being said, this year is going to be a very, very tough year. But I do think there is something to be said for a team to overcome adversity throughout the season. The Super Bowl is never won in September or October. The teams that seem to gel over the course of a hard fought year seem to be the teams that make a deep playoff run.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
A show of hands...if you have ever been paid to make personnel decisions in the NFL please speak right up.

My hand isn't raised, but to suggest that the people in the front office are the best qualified to make personnel decisions simply because they work in the front office is a circular argument. There are tons of individuals that have made glaring, no brainer mistakes with personnel and draft decisions.

I will only address the B.J. Daniels move here because, to me, it is the one that has the biggest potential to backfire. Yes, B.J. Daniels can only be evaluated on his preseason showing. The guy was a 7th round pick that was mobile, moved the offense, and made plays in the fourth quarter. There was no compelling reason to let him go in exchange for a guy like John Skelton and many reasons to keep him even if, as some posters have suggested, he was a problem in the locker room (very doubtful - the kid is a 7th round backup that had no issues of "me first" coming out of college).

1. It is way too soon to say that he won't develop into a legitimate QB. Again, he played well in the opportunities given to him.

2. Even supposing that we had no plans of ever making him the No. 2, teams value QB really high. Are you telling me that with another strong preseason showing that Daniels would not have garnered trade interest? He seemed like the perfect player to turn into a higher draft pick than what was spent on him.

3. There is little financial impact to keeping him.

4. His mobility should have been an asset in practice in preparing for other mobile QBs.

If the team is going to release a guy like that I think they owe it to the fan base to provide a little more explanation than "We really like Skelton and its unfortunate B.J. had to go, we thank him for his contributions, etc."