LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Can someone explain this to me??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
I find the post somewhat interesting and a little confusing, but I am not sure why anyone who call it great.

Who exactly are the two wide receivers that are the biggest scrubs on their roster who have FOR YEARS demonstrated that they are mediocre. Yet they doggedly stick to them, even as their #2.

There are seven wide receivers on our roster and only one of them has been our roster FOR YEARS--Kyle Williams.

I will concede that Williams has been mediocre since he was drafted in 2010, but he is the only wide receiver on the 53-man roster who has been with the team for years. Even though I consider him mediocre, I am not sure that he merits being considered a biggest scrub.

| am still trying to figure out who the second biggest scrub is that has been on the roster for years.

Perhaps, the idea put forward is correct but the post is just poorly worded. I do think this lack of clarity on the wide receivers takes away from the greatness of the post.

Perhaps, the apparent prediction that the 49ers will lose the game because of our disgruntling handling of our wide receiver situation makes this a great post.

Like I said, the post is interesting and some what confusing, but I do definitely do not consider it great.

But, hey that is just my opinion and I do recognize that my opinion might not mean very much. But, hey everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

The second less-than-stellar receiver on the Niners roster, who for years has not demonstrated a #2 quality IMO is B. Moore. Coaches seem to agree somewhat. He went from #2 during TC, to losing the #2 to KW, to being inactive for the last game.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
The second less-than-stellar receiver on the Niners roster, who for years has not demonstrated a #2 quality IMO is B. Moore. Coaches seem to agree somewhat. He went from #2 during TC, to losing the #2 to KW, to being inactive for the last game.

Who is B. Moore? And he's been here for years? Wow I must not be paying attention.

Perhaps you mean Marlon Moore, the WR we signed this off-season via Miami...... He's only been on the roster for 7 months
The whole B.J. Daniels "saga" reminds me to the whole Nate "the great" "the next comming of Montana" Davis saga...

Are you referring to Marlin Moore? If so, are you saying that he failed to prove himself as a #2 in Miami? If so, you are correct. However, he was signed by the 49ers this season to be a special teams guy. He lucked his way into the WR lineup with a strong TC.

Who the heck is B Moore?
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I would rather have cut McCoy then Daniels. Kap, Skelton and Daniels would have been a decent 3.
I think the team would've liked to do that as well. However, that would've simultaneously been a major short-term risk with long-term reward.

McCoy is the only player is the only QB on the roster right now that who:
a) knows our playbook, and,
b) has in-game NFL experience.

Skelton has NFL experience, but knows nothing about our playbook; Daniels has a grasp on the playbook, but has no NFL experience (aside from preseason). If Kap were to have went down in the next few weeks, they would've been majorly screwed (then again, if Kap goes down they're probably screwed no matter what). In that sense, it would've been a major short-term risk.

It's clear as day the front office has no confidence in McCoy though. Forced him to renegotiate, and now they brought in Skelton. But to me that had to have been the thought process of Baalke and Harbaugh; if McCoy were cut and Kap were hurt, a team with a still-very-strong roster would've been absolutely screwed.

With the route they took, they now have the short-term safety net in McCoy (even if he sucks, he still has familiarity with how to run our offense), while being able to spend the coming weeks grooming Skelton. Blatant speculation here, but my guess is that, had Daniels cleared waivers and made it to the practice squad, they would've groomed Skelton for a handful of weeks until he had a good grasp on the playbook, given McCoy the boot and then promoted Daniels back up to the #3 QB on the active roster.

Plausible.
But are the Niners really that down on MCoy? It's a risk just assuming that Skelton will pass muster once he has the playbook down. He has not stuck anywhere else that he has been. Despite being given plenty of opportunity. Good measurables, but lacking the intangibles, perhaps?

On the other hand I think that McCoy is a serviceable #2, good athleticism and a very good character guy. Not really starter material, but a classic back-up.

The Niners had other options. They could have carried 4 QBs on the roster for a few weeks until they saw what they had with Skelton. And cut someone else who is generally on the inactive list on gameday and unlikely to be picked up by another team. Someone who they could be easily resign when the Niners figured out who their #2 should be. This may offend some, but my candidates for these potential cuts would have been Marlon Moore and Kyle Williams (although this cut may be too emotionally unpalatable for the Niners). If by chance their cut got picked up, the Niners could promote Jacobs from the PS with little to no loss in production (a net upgrade IMO).

Factor in that it's not to much longer before Manningham returns.

Also interesting to note: Two years ago when Alex was the starter, the Niners had two rookies backing him up. Don't exactly know how it fits here, but I think Daniels would not have been a total disaster in a real game situation if he had to step in.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by SaksV:

Who is B. Moore? And he's been here for years? Wow I must not be paying attention.

Perhaps you mean Marlon Moore, the WR we signed this off-season via Miami...... He's only been on the roster for 7 months

Sorry, I did mean Marlon. I didn't say that he had been in the NINER roster for year. But he has been in the league for many years and is CURRENTLY on the Niners roster. There is film on him and he hasn't exactly lit up the league. He's currently languishing on the inactive list.

Come on! Is it so difficult to dechiper what I meant. There are going to be typos . . . try connecting the dots.
But are the Niners really that down on MCoy?
Personally, yes -- I think so. I mean, they brought in Seneca Wallace late in the preseason, basically to coerce McCoy into taking a pay cut. And there were rumors that late in the preseason they were shopping* around McCoy to other teams. I think they have very little faith in him.
* http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234084/article/colt-mccoy-being-shopped-by-san-francisco-49ers

The Niners had other options. They could have carried 4 QBs on the roster for a few weeks until they saw what they had with Skelton. And cut someone else who is generally on the inactive list on gameday and unlikely to be picked up by another team. Someone who they could be easily resign when the Niners figured out who their #2 should be. This may offend some, but my candidates for these potential cuts would have been Brandon Moore and Kyle Williams (although this cut may be too emotionally unpalatable for the Niners). If by chance their cut got picked up, the Niners could promote Jacobs from the PS with little to no loss in production (a net upgrade IMO).
Hm, I don't know, I think that's easier said than done. The team is already low on receivers (especially with Patton getting hurt). No one do I see them cutting a receiver before Manningham returns. And, if they waited for Manningham to return to sign Skelton, then that's 3 less weeks they have to get Skelton rolling on the playbook.

The only thing that makes sense to me is what I described earlier -- temporarily moving Daniels to the practice squad until Skelton was brought up to speed. But again, that's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

Don't exactly know how it fits here, but I think Daniels would not have been a total disaster in a real game situation if he had to step in.
Can't help but think if the lack of success with the read option this year has to do with them not having as much confidence in Daniels. That is to say, if the RO was clicking again this year, they probably would've been much more comfortable with Daniels stepping in and being a stopgap, versus having to play a more conventional pro-style offense.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:

Hm, I don't know, I think that's easier said than done. The team is already low on receivers (especially with Patton getting hurt). No one do I see them cutting a receiver before Manningham returns. And, if they waited for Manningham to return to sign Skelton, then that's 3 less weeks they have to get Skelton rolling on the playbook.

Actually the thing on Skelton - He worked out for the 49ers in September. At that time, the 49ers told him to inform them if any other teams became interested in the future. At the beginning of this month, Skelton worked out for the Titans. Like the 49er's asked, he informed them that the Titans were interested. At this point, waiting for ANY reason was no longer an option.

EDIT: At least that's what Matt Maiocco reported recently.
[ Edited by trellblaze on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Skelton is a very large, strong, less talented version of Roethlisberger...not impressed. That said, Harbaugh will probably turn him into another Marino!

Nooo dont say that!!! Marino never won a ring

Originally posted by SaksV:

Sorry, I did mean Marlon. I didn't say that he had been in the NINER roster for year. But he has been in the league for many years and is CURRENTLY on the Niners roster. There is film on him and he hasn't exactly lit up the league. He's currently languishing on the inactive list.

Come on! Is it so difficult to dechiper what I meant. There are going to be typos . . . try connecting the dots.

Well you have to know the names of the players.

BUT... while I agree with you regarding Marlon Moore being a scrub, the reason he stuck so "hard" on the roster is because he was added to the team very early during the summer... meaning that he knows the playbook in and out. Meanwhile, guys like Austin Collie and Lavelle Hawkins were very late adds in August, so their knowledge of the system wasn't on par with that of Moore.

I mean really, our five wideouts were Boldin, Moore, Williams, Patton, & Jenkins. Patton was hurt in the preseason. Jenkins couldn't get it together. So that left us with the first three.

That's the only reason Moore has stuck. There was no one else! We added Baldwin very late, and Patton is injured, so now it's Balwin's turn to see if he can be the #2.

It's really not that complicated... just a numbers game. As soon as Crabs & Maningham return, and later Patton, Moore is probably gone.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Oct 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

I think you mean Marlon Moore.

My point was only that your post was interesting, but somewhat confusing-not great.

It took me a while but I was able to figure out that you meant in the league for years, not on the 49ers for years.
At first, I was not sure if the second receiver was Moore or Osgood, but after giving it more thought I decided that you meant Moore.

I still think it was a somewhat confusing, but that is only my opinion and I do not think it is a big deal.
Originally posted by buck:

I think you mean Marlon Moore.

My point was only that your post was interesting, but somewhat confusing-not great.

It took me a while but I was able to figure out that you meant in the league for years, not on the 49ers for years.
At first, I was not sure if the second receiver was Moore or Osgood, but after giving it more thought I decided that you meant Moore.

I still think it was a somewhat confusing, but that is only my opinion and I do not think it is a big deal.

Semantics.
Boy am I stoked for the way Brock stood out last night. Not b/c of the big plays he made but HOW he made them. I've been talking about how poor (coaching) our technique has been at the CB position for a while now (e.g. letting receivers get behind them and THEN throw their arms up once the receiver's body language suggests the ball is arriving, not getting their head turned around, playing WAY off esp. on 3rd and shorts, not keeping the WR in front of them and an eye on the QB, etc.). You could REALLY see the difference between Brown (lucky as hell) and Brock last night. Brock was physical, stayed in his hip pocket, kept the WR in front of him WHILE keeping an eye on the QB and equally important, came off his route to undercut another (pick-6). I have not seen this since Rogers in his contract year!

And it's a good thing b/c Cooper played great again for the Chiefs yesterday and had a critical INT late in the 4Q to lead to 3 points that helped wrap up the game for the 5-0 Chiefs!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM ]
Good call NCommand!

He looked like an All Pro last night - actually the last 2 games.
Share 49ersWebzone