There are 339 users in the forums

Whitner fined 21k for hit in end zone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by ihab:
This play just says it all about the preposterous rules of the NFL game. Defensive players should stop taking the field until the league until this shameless competitive advantage to the offense is addressed.

Since the receivers head whiplashed, these lame refs probably assumed it was a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Given the context of NFL speed -- where every plau is based on millisecond reaction time -- that's as PERFECT as a hit you can give.

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/12/27/definition-of-a-defenseless-player/

wrong

The rule as it is written is horrible.

First this part:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

What the f**k does that mean? Unnecessary contact. Well in this case it was necessary because he was trying to break up a TD.

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

Again, f**king b******t. So basically if the guy catches it you are not allowed to hit him. Way to ruin the game.

I love the NFL but this s**t is starting to get to me.

the rule is complete b******t I agree

but there's nothing to argue on the whitner hit, based on what happened its a penalty and a fine
Whitner being Whitner is definitely an asset for the Niners!

That being said, do you think Donte pays these fines out of his own pocket? Do the Yorks chip in? Kind of like, "Keep doing what you're doing Whitner and we'll take care of the repercussions."
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
This. I would really be interested in finding out how many of these fines are over-turned. This isn't pocket change they are taking from these guys.

If it is clearly an illegal hit and a hit that was not needed or you can tell had some intent to injure then fine them. But you can tell from this hit that it was just part of the game (let alone that it was clean).

But as you stated the NFL seems to throw out these fines when 99% of people seem to agree the hit was fine. It is almost like they are giving a big f**k you to everyone and saying we will do what we want.

It's not almost like. It's exactly what they're doing.

This is the same league that gave us repleacement refs. Ironically, they f**ked us by giving Seattle a win they shouldn't have had, They woulda kept with that s**t if Fail Mary never happened. Fail Mary happens, 48 hours later the strike is over.

Now we have to deal with the castration of the sport because we love our football. It's a slow deterioration of the soul of the sport.

The league is in a Monopoly like state and can do whatever the f**k it wants until we stop paying. But damn, we love our football.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Whitner being Whitner is definitely an asset for the Niners!

That being said, do you think Donte pays these fines out of his own pocket? Do the Yorks chip in? Kind of like, "Keep doing what you're doing Whitner and we'll take care of the repercussions."

They can't. That would be violating salary cap. Whitner pays the fine himself.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 4ML:
The hit was illegal...that's the rule.

(W)hitner just needs to hit players below the waist and above the knees. It's as simple as that. He can protest or change his name - but the rule is a rule and everyone has to play by it.

so basically he has to aim for the groin?

lol...if that helps him. Keep your head up and use shoulder pads to hit between waist and knee - that's how they teach in high-school. In college, coaches don't pay enough attn to tackling fundamentals.

Yes, you may have to adjust when the WR is in the air or is ducking but it comes with practice - just like WRs have to adjust mid-air to a ball not thrown accurately.
^^^ just more proof that we no longer can afford to have a traditional SS. What we need is a guy that goes in there and is looking to knock the pass away, rip it out, INT it, etc...vs. two steps later trying to blast the ball out ala Goldson. In the end, it still ended up being a TD right? But with a fine. I think it's B.S. and the NFL should look closely at what the RECEIVER does in these cases as well...if the receiver turns his back to Whitner and protects the ball, no penalty.
I don't get why he gets fined this much yet Clay Matthews got fined less for his hit on Kap? Can it be explained?
Lost in all of this is that Whitner ("Hitner") has been playing very, very good to start the year IMO. He seems much closer to 2011 form this year than last. Agreed?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ just more proof that we no longer can afford to have a traditional SS. What we need is a guy that goes in there and is looking to knock the pass away, rip it out, INT it, etc...vs. two steps later trying to blast the ball out ala Goldson. In the end, it still ended up being a TD right? But with a fine. I think it's B.S. and the NFL should look closely at what the RECEIVER does in these cases as well...if the receiver turns his back to Whitner and protects the ball, no penalty.

Yea...I do think the fine is excessive but we have had this rule for at least a year now and defenders need to adjust. You can still hit hard but you have to be extra careful. You have to know that receiver will likely brace for contact and therefore you must hit lower. Stop going for shoulders or chest area.

It is what it is...I don't blame the NFL. Players forced their hand with the lawsuit. Now, NFL is doing everything it can to make themselves look like they care for player safety.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Lost in all of this is that Whitner ("Hitner") has been playing very, very good to start the year IMO. He seems much closer to 2011 form this year than last. Agreed?

I don't know about that. He has been up and down.

• THEB
  • Veteran
Donte Whitner changing his legal last name to "Hitner" Per his own mouth via NFLN
The rules have just become retarded. This game is impossible to officiate.
What happened to Whitner? I only see a Hitner now...
Originally posted by niners94:

He legally changed his name ala Ocho Cinco
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by niners94:

He legally changed his name ala Ocho Cinco

I know lol
Share 49ersWebzone