There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whitner fined 21k for hit in end zone

• fryet
  • Veteran
I understand that the league is trying to reduce injuries, but I have two issues with the penalty/fine in this case.

1. The receiver chose to continue falling to the ground, after catching the ball. If the receiver chose to continue to stand, Whitner would not have hit him in the head. It should not be a penalty if the "victim" drops their head at the last second.
2. Defenseless receiver penalty should not exist in the end zone. Catching in the end zone should allow the defender to test the receiver to make sure they hold on to the ball. Regardless of the penalty, the defender is still better off risking a "half the distance to the goal" penalty than allowing the TD.

Thoughts?
Well Chris Givens said it was a LEGAL hit in his opinion. Seems like the NFL is punishing Whitner for his talking. Which would be total bs, live in a world where we have freedom of speech.

I believe the NBA fines coaches and players for wrong things said, This is the next thing for the NFL.
Gotta hit below the waist and above the knees with your shoulders - just the way you're taught in high-school.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Gotta hit below the waist and above the knees with your shoulders - just the way you're taught in high-school.

Wish the NFL would get the memo, hitting at knee area and foot should be illegal. Look at how many injuries have happened, season ending, should be illegal, and no fines. But Goodell fines players for wrong color socks, wrong shirt. Goodell AKA Dictator Goodell. Until he is removed, the game will be terrible. The refs are horrible. Wish someone had to balls to stand up to Goodell. But dont get me wrong, I also hate De Smith, everytime a player gets caught with fine or suspension, he is down the NFL's throat. even when the player is n the wrong Just admit your mistake, and your problem. Dont have Smith b***h to the nfl about it.
didn't goldson get fined AGAIN?
admiral general goodell strikes again. whats next supreme leader?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Well Chris Givens said it was a LEGAL hit in his opinion. Seems like the NFL is punishing Whitner for his talking. Which would be total bs, live in a world where we have freedom of speech.

I believe the NBA fines coaches and players for wrong things said, This is the next thing for the NFL.

That's exactly what this is.
agree. He's getting fined for making a big deal about not being fined the week before.
Couldn't agree more about #2. I've been saying that the defenseless receiver rule should not apply when catching a ball in the endzone. By allowing a "defenseless" receive to come down with the ball it's called a TD as soon as his feet hit the grown. The defense can't win in that situation.
the hit was legal, how on earth are you supposed to hit him? Whitner lowerded his stance, led with the shoulder and did nit hit him square in the head.

Complete BS, I agree that safety is a must, but it really seems as if they are trying to eliminate big hits completely.
I wonder when guys start wearing flags on their hips.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: When the league decided it wanted a certain outcome - more offense - and thus started meddling with the rules (and integrity of the game) to give offenses a competitive advantage to reflect that wish the hasn't been the same. "Player safety" is a BS excuse!! However, until the players, particularly defensive players, stand up and refuse to take the field to protect themselves from these awful rules this beautiful game will continue to be watered down to favor the offense to the point where good defense will be effectively outlawed. It's just that simple.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Offenses have adjusted and realize that you can't be stopped if you intentionally throw balls that put players in "defenseless" positions. It's a new tactic that results in a first down and a fine for a defensive guy at worst. Maybe they should start fining the guy who puts the receivers in those "defenseless" positions, they're the ones making the big money anyway.
f**k Roger Goodell and his Flag Football League!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by 4ML:

Wish the NFL would get the memo, hitting at knee area and foot should be illegal. Look at how many injuries have happened, season ending, should be illegal, and no fines. But Goodell fines players for wrong color socks, wrong shirt. Goodell AKA Dictator Goodell. Until he is removed, the game will be terrible. The refs are horrible. Wish someone had to balls to stand up to Goodell. But dont get me wrong, I also hate De Smith, everytime a player gets caught with fine or suspension, he is down the NFL's throat. even when the player is n the wrong Just admit your mistake, and your problem. Dont have Smith b***h to the nfl about it.

Technically Merton Hanks doles out the fines but the point still stands.