There are 179 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS TENNESSEE TITANS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 7)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope he's blanketed the entire game, doesn't ever get open and never makes a catch. I hope they try to run him and he get's jacked up for no gain. I hope he gets pancaked trying to block for Johnson... And I like him. It's just that he's playing the Niners Sunday.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The Niners have allowed 13 sacks so far, which is the fifth lowest total of sacks in the league. And three of the teams they've played have defenses in the top 10 in number of sacks gotten. Actually, by the numbers, the Niner offensive line is protecting the QB better than they have in years.

So sacks are the only significant marker of how an OL is doing in pass-blocking?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I've pointed this out before. The better a team's general pass protection, the harder it is to set up a screen. That's the main reason why defenses seem to blow up screens every time the Niners try one. When D-linemen and linebackers have a relatively easy time sliding by a Niner offensive lineman, they naturally look around to figure out why. This year, the Niners are doing real well at pass protection.

The Niners have allowed 13 sacks so far, which is the fifth lowest total of sacks in the league. And three of the teams they've played have defenses in the top 10 in number of sacks gotten. Actually, by the numbers, the Niner offensive line is protecting the QB better than they have in years.

This same line was bottom of the barrel in pass protection until Kap came along. His pocket presence and mobility are superb.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Kap is making the pass protection stats look better due to his athleticism. For example, on the 1st TD throw to VD, Kap had a defender running right at him after blowing past one of our OL men. CK was able to roll to his left to avoid the sack, and buy time until VD got some separation, then threw the strike.

As far as this upcoming game against the Titans, I think it will be a close, hard-fought game. Ball security will be a key for the Niners, because the Titans thrived on getting turnovers.

So sacks are the only significant marker of how an OL is doing in pass-blocking?

I don't know that they're the "only significant marker." What would you suggest? It seems like a good place to start - how well is a line protecting a QB? I heard Greg Cosell saying that when he studies film of Niner games this year, he believes they're actually doing better at pass protection than they have in many seasons and those are the only numbers I can find that support that statement, that's all.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This same line was bottom of the barrel in pass protection until Kap came along. His pocket presence and mobility are superb.

I agree that Kaepernick is quick and elusive. But it also takes more time for any given O-line to develop in pass protection than it does in run blocking. Pass protection is very complicated and requires intense communication and teamwork on an offensive line. They may be getting better at it partly because they've been together longer now.
I don't know that they're the "only significant marker." What would you suggest? It seems like a good place to start - how well is a line protecting a QB? I heard Greg Cosell saying that when he studies film of Niner games this year, he believes they're actually doing better at pass protection than they have in many seasons and those are the only numbers I can find that support that statement, that's all.

QB pressures? Kaepernick has had an absurd amount of pressure in his face this season, just because he isn't being sacked doesn't mean the OL is doing a great job of pass-blocking. In general sacks went way down once Kaepernick took over but Iupati, likely due to injury is struggling and Goodwin really needs to GTFO after this season.

Staley and Boone have done a great job pretty much all season, Davis has been up and down, Iupati and Goodwin have been for the most part. This OL's biggest weakness was is and seemingly will continue to be pass protection.

QB pressures? Kaepernick has had an absurd amount of pressure in his face this season, just because he isn't being sacked doesn't mean the OL is doing a great job of pass-blocking. In general sacks went way down once Kaepernick took over but Iupati, likely due to injury is struggling and Goodwin really needs to GTFO after this season.

Staley and Boone have done a great job pretty much all season, Davis has been up and down, Iupati and Goodwin have been for the most part. This OL's biggest weakness was is and seemingly will continue to be pass protection.

That is true. Kap has generally had very little time to throw the ball. He's also taken some big hits after several throws. The difference is Kap doesn't take sacks; he'll either escape long enough to throw the ball away, or make a play even when facing pressure.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by real9erfan:

That is true. Kap has generally had very little time to throw the ball. He's also taken some big hits after several throws. The difference is Kap doesn't take sacks; he'll either escape long enough to throw the ball away, or make a play even when facing pressure.

To help the pass protection is to make quick throws. Brings us back to our WR issue. With Boldin being doubled and Wiilliams not being able to get off the line quick enough, kaep has no choice but to drop back adn try to create time. We don't even know if this gets fixed when Manny and Crabby get back.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!

It's all part of how defense's are playing the 49ers, bring 5 pass rushers, overwhelm the offensive line, get up in Kaepernick's face and force him to throw it quickly, his receivers, unable to get separation, are coming up short. If either the receivers or the offensive line steps up, you see a lot more completions. Kaepernick may have not been sacked much this season but that's because he's generally getting rid of the ball, whether or not the guy is open he's getting it out against pressure. Once Crabtree comes back or a second viable target at WR steps up, that BS will end.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]

It's all part of how defense's are playing the 49ers, bring 5 pass rushers, overwhelm the offensive line, get up in Kaepernick's face and force him to throw it quickly, his receivers, unable to get separation, are coming up short. If either the receivers or the offensive line steps up, you see a lot more completions. Kaepernick may have not been sacked much this season but that's because he's generally getting rid of the ball, whether or not the guy is open he's getting it out against pressure. Once Crabtree comes back or a second viable target at WR steps up, that BS will end.

Yeah it was really a bummer that Crabs had to get hurt. His ability to create separation with subtle movements made him a deadly receiving target for Kap. I hope he comes back at that same level, because that could make our offense extremely potent down the stretch.
I hope he's blanketed the entire game, doesn't ever get open and never makes a catch. I hope they try to run him and he get's jacked up for no gain. I hope he gets pancaked trying to block for Johnson... And I like him. It's just that he's playing the Niners Sunday.

Well now I guess you're changing my mind about wanting D-Walk to play well. I hope he doesn't do squat, but comes out with no injuries. Tenn. will probably try him throwing some wham blocks when they run the ball hoping the Niners don't expect it. So they ought to gameplan & prep for that.
So the Titans have changed centers for the game.

Usually disastrous things happen when you put in a new center who has never played a snap before.
HERE A LINK OF BIG INTEREST

http://www.gotitans.com/threads/game-7-niners-titans.89607/

Anybody know of a 60Niners username?
Share 49ersWebzone