There are 212 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

• GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Fine post as always - keep 'em coming.

My 2 cents.

Iupati was a beast. He was beating people up.

Hunter is soooo better than LMJ and we need to keep using him more.

Lemonier, Whilhoite and Skuta[sp] played very well.

Brooks keeps getting better.

Kap - needs to wk. on his soft touch, not telegraphing and he'll be just fine. This game was a well needed confidence builder.

Hopefully, our coaches will continue this "back-to-basics" approach even when our starters return from injury.

Finally, KUDOS to Reid, Rogers and company for making Tavon Austin a non-factor.
I hate seeing La Michael James on sweeps. Kendall Hunter is better running those stretch plays and usually has better ball security than James.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ermex:
One thing i would like to point out is the play of Tramaine Brock, he played really well the pass and he also made very good tackles, i think nhamdi goes to the bench

Brock played well but that play where the the wr was open and bradford missed him, I believe that was brocks fault. Brock and Brown I believe stayed on one guy and Reid had the deep responsibility, had brock been in position bradford would not have thrown the ball.
[ Edited by GORO on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erPhil:
New member here. Love reading all your guys comments. I just saw something come across my twitter feed about Whitner. Check out what he said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/donte-whitner-49ers-ss-joined

Welcome 49erPhil. Could you give us a summary of what was said? Thanks in advance!
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

6) Roman: Can we get off the gameplan now? He gave most of you what you wanted...in spades. Back to basics. Back to an offense very similar to what Alex ran. I suspect we'll see a lot of this type of offense until they can get some guys back...ESPECIALLY if they can get Crab back. If they can get Crab, Boldin, AND Manningham back as their top 3 in addition to Vernon...teams will be forced to pay for playing man coverage. For now tho...its all about keep it simple, grind it out, and get through the schedule until the horses come back.

This is not intended to be a criticism but a question. So to me it seems the "back to basics" offense as you pointed out, which they ran last night and has be in the play book from Colins inception into the Niners should be something the team can revert to at any give point in any game and any game plan.

I guess my question to you all is what is it about Wk2 and Wk3's game plans prevent Roman from have those plays dial up in the game. From what I read nothing is scripted so I would think i should be easy to set up and run when opportunity presents it self.

Maybe I just don't understand game plans having never played football. Can anyone elaborate on game plans and calling down plays "outside" of the game plan?
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by 9ermex:
One thing i would like to point out is the play of Tramaine Brock, he played really well the pass and he also made very good tackles, i think nhamdi goes to the bench

Brock played well but that play where they the wr was open and bradford missed him, I believe that was brocks fault. Brock and Brown I believe stayed on one guy and Reid had the deep responsability, had brock been in position bradford would not have thrown the ball.

I noticed this play and it's difficult to tell who was at fault. It was either Brock or Rogers. My guess is that it was Rogers because right before the snap, Carlos looked back to say something and the ball was snapped. Carlos then switched off his initial coverage assignment and covered the guy Brock seemed to be following across the formation. Good thing Bradford rushed that throw.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I think Dorsey should get more playing time and Mcdonald and Smith should rotate until team has lead and let the dogs loose.

Although Brock had a good game I do not feel comfortable with him from past games like the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game against the Giants.

Injuries and Aldon has been a good thing for Fangio, since he has no choice but to play Lemonier, Skuta, Brock, Cox, and hopefully Tank Caradine will be give a shot in the near future.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AZ9er:
This is not intended to be a criticism but a question. So to me it seems the "back to basics" offense as you pointed out, which they ran last night and has be in the play book from Colins inception into the Niners should be something the team can revert to at any give point in any game and any game plan.

I guess my question to you all is what is it about Wk2 and Wk3's game plans prevent Roman from have those plays dial up in the game. From what I read nothing is scripted so I would think i should be easy to set up and run when opportunity presents it self.

Maybe I just don't understand game plans having never played football. Can anyone elaborate on game plans and calling down plays "outside" of the game plan?
I believe that Kaepernick was so good those first ten games that Roman thought he should ride him to a coaching job.
Marvin, other two guys I was thinking of were Lemonier and Cox. Amazing what's in your cupboard, if you take it down and see what it can do...and that includes others mentioned earlier, Tramaine, Baldwin, vance, plus stupar, wilhoite. JH is making a big mistake not playing guys on the bench who made the team. We got some really nice talent there, and in Nmandi's case, way better than what is... or was starting.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Before the game, NT: This is a tough game on a short week. Don't have confidence that we can win. The Rams played us tough last year, and we are playing in St. Louis. We could come out 1-3.

After the game, and 49ers 35-11 drubbing, NT: The Rams suck anyway, so not too excited.

So true..That's Niner talk for ya!
Originally posted by Marvin49:

7) Defense: Look at that. The offense sustained some drives (until the end when they were trying to run out the clock), the D was able to stay fresh, and they DOMINATED. It isn't lost on me that the Rams O sucks pretty bad, but my point is that when the D isn't on the field for 36-37 minutes, they are still pretty damn good. ALL of the Rams points were on a short field. The field goal came after the 49ers had missed a field goal so the Rams got the ball at the 49er 43 and drove only 23 yards. The TD...well we all know that they got there on a turnover and the penalty was BS.

This was my favorite part of the game, the defensive performance. The TOP was so one sided the previous 2 games due to the offense, I didn't blame the defense for breaking down. Like you said, the Rams Offense is awful. That was still a special defensive performance.

The 49ers limited the Rams to 18 yards rushing on 19 attempts..

........Let that sink in for a second.......

The Rams averaged less than 1 yard per carry!!

That's insane, no matter who the opponent is. That just doesn't happen at the professional level. Our Run D is fine, they never went anywhere. I knew all they needed was for the offense to sustain some drives.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM ]
Nice write up like usual... Minor side note, I think Dana Stubblefield made the "same ol sorry ass rams" comment not Tim McDonald.
Enjoyed the stepped up play of some guys we don't hear of very often. Some talent that hash't been really used yet. That is always fun. No reason not to substitute more on D especially.

Stop sending LMJ and Hunter around the end every time they sub in for Gore! Stoppit! Totally predictable. Maddening.

I like CK being himself. I see nothing sacred about staying in the pocket. It is a waste of his talent being a strong-armed version of Alex Smith. He has become nervous and thinks too much when his talent is quick thinking, quick out of there and on the run with the D all running around and confused. That is also how to get slower receivers open.

I look forward to the Marvin Report every week, and the responses on this thread are usually the best as well. Good observations by many responders.
My thoughts after the game: We beat probably the worst team in football and struggled a little bit because it was an away game on a short week.
Originally posted by KoolBeans:
My thoughts after the game: We beat probably the worst team in football and struggled a little bit because it was an away game on a short week.

Worst team by far are the jags, rams at least have talent. They're just playing horrible now
Originally posted by kidash98:
My take:

1) Kaep looked lost there for a second. Granted, he came around towards the second half but he missed a few open receivers that would have generated points on the board. He still has a "staring issue" when throwing to a receiver and was almost picked more times in last nights game. Bullet passes when he didn't need to, he needs to learn how to softly put the ball when needed. Need to work on his read progression. Seems like he's only targeting one player most of the time. We played a mediocre team last night, not the Rams from last year that beat us once and tied the other. Not too exited.

2) Our receiving corp (minus Boldin) is still crap. Still couldn't get good separation from the DB's. Loved that Baldwin and Patton got some touch but overall, we need to get this guys going.

3) Defensively, we played well. I can't say great because we played the Rams (and they seriously suck right now). Good to see Bowman beasting out there, esp. without Willis next to him. Man was all over the field. Whitner needs to play better, IMO, as well as our secondaries. We still play 5-10 yards off the receivers and they had chances to throw it (not sure why they didn't).

4) Good to see how we returned to basic when it came to our running game. Gore was getting in the holes very quickly thanks to superb line works and Miller ramming the lane open. Hunter needs more touch, IMO. Very deceptive spped on that guy.

Pretty critical for a blow out win on the road.

Kap missed some guys but I'll take that if he's not turning it over.

I think overall this was a great team win. We're missing key pieces all over the field and they still took the Rams out back and gave them the ol yeller treatment?