There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by 49erPhil:
New member here. Love reading all your guys comments. I just saw something come across my twitter feed about Whitner. Check out what he said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/donte-whitner-49ers-ss-joined

Not signed up. What did he say?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Damn, my boy never gets enough credit around here: Brooks moved to the WILL spot on the fly and lead the team in tackles AND had 1.5 sacks. The dude dominated again on the edges and played all over the place. He even knocked down another pass. Clutch. Give some love to my boy! (end rant)

Enough?

Thanks brother, I needed that! LOL. Props to Fangio for reading my solution in the Solution Thread (kidding) to moving Brooks over to WILL for a good portion of the game. I always said that if he was allowed to play WILL he'd have Aldon-like sack numbers while still dominating in the run game and dropping in zone while making open field tackles (defending passes, knocking down passes). An absolute complete game in every facet! Yet all I hear in Lemonier. LOL. Seriously though, this Aldon rehab may turnout to be a major blessing in disguise for SO many reasons. Go Niners!
Seems like our plan will be or should be similar to what it was against the Rams for the next 4 weeks until after the bye. I like the "just hold on" type motto. Just hang in there until after the bye week when we should have Willis back (probably back next week already), Manningham back, possibly Aldon back, Moody back, possibly Carradine and/or Dial, Wright if we need him, and working on getting Crabtree back. So if we can go into the break 6-2 or 5-3 heading into week 10, hopefully having most of the guys back that will be back this year, we would be in good shape. Hopefully we can be fully healthy (or about as healthy as we can get) and in perfect stride for the home stretch and possibly playoff run. Props to all the guys who stepped up last night and held up while guys like Nnamdi, Willis, Aldon, etc were out. Dorsey had a great game as well and will have to continue to play well with Williams out. Back to our game plan once we get Manningham and Crabtree back our offense will open up. Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Baldwin, Patton is looking really dang good right now. Until then probably keep it basic.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Quick Thought

Vance McDonald was running wide open virtually all game. Once he gets on the same page with Kap we could have a beastly offense. AQ, JB (if he continues to impress), VD, BM, Gore and VM, Have fun trying to match up with that package.

He's been open a lot in most of the games because right now I don't think the other teams know who he is and don't bother to cover him. Nah, he knows how to find holes in the zone. He's a Jason Witten type but faster. Will be a great security blanket when he and Kap get on the same page. Hopefully Vernon is getting on him and having him hit the jugs machine before and after practice with him. His hands are his biggest weakness right now. Like Walker guy could be a really good #2 and better than some of the 1's in this league if he gets his hands down.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM ]
Marvin, I didn't count the number of blitzes, nor the # of blitzers, but it seemed to occur early and often. What, in your mind, made Fangio blitz, when he rarely if ever blitzed against INDY or SEA(excepting the one stupid zero blitz on the goal line and the WR walked across the goal line)? I will later go back and count them, but my gosh were they ever effective. Think about it. We are missing Aldon and p-52 and Fangio blitzes, and our D looks all world. Why would he not consider blitzing when aldon and p-52 are on the field? I would love to hear your take on that.

Traimain Brock....agree he really looked steady, knocking down passes , plus tackling. I think your assessment of Nnamdi going to the bench is correct. Back up only. How could he have fallen so far?

Last question is why did we have to get down in such a tight spot for roman to run frank, and fangio to blitz? Maybe you got an idea, but I sure don't. One great thing that came out of this game is we got other guys sitting on the bench, or not getting passes that can play. Vance, and Baldwin are two, and traimain, stupar, and Wilhoit are others. I think there may have been another, but only in adversity does JH make changes or try new things. That is good that he did it, but bad that being desperate was what it took for him to look at other guys on the bench with real talent. Weird , no? It seemed like all the conservative stuff was put to bed ...something we desperately needed.
Originally posted by English:
STOP

No one is flaming, no one is inciting, I for one never was, just weren't on the same page and it was clean.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, I didn't count the number of blitzes, nor the # of blitzers, but it seemed to occur early and often. What, in your mind, made Fangio blitz, when he rarely if ever blitzed against INDY or SEA(excepting the one stupid zero blitz on the goal line and the WR walked across the goal line)? I will later go back and count them, but my gosh were they ever effective. Think about it. We are missing Aldon and p-52 and Fangio blitzes, and our D looks all world. Why would he not consider blitzing when aldon and p-52 are on the field? I would love to hear your take on that.

Traimain Brock....agree he really looked steady, knocking down passes , plus tackling. I think your assessment of Nnamdi going to the bench is correct. Back up only. How could he have fallen so far?

Last question is why did we have to get down in such a tight spot for roman to run frank, and fangio to blitz? Maybe you got an idea, but I sure don't. One great thing that came out of this game is we got other guys sitting on the bench, or not getting passes that can play. Vance, and Baldwin are two, and traimain, stupar, and Wilhoit are others. I think there may have been another, but only in adversity does JH make changes or try new things. That is good that he did it, but bad that being desperate was what it took for him to look at other guys on the bench with real talent. Weird , no? It seemed like all the conservative stuff was put to bed ...something we desperately needed.

He doesn't blitz on every down because he doesn't need to. If they can get there without blitzing it makes alot more sense to keep those LBs in coverage.

Most other teams (and in particular teams with the QBs we played in the first few weeks) eat up the blitz. Blitzing them just opens up holes in the defense and the Rams just didn't have any answers.

The fact that Bowman was blitzing so often to me actually worries me. It means that Fangio ralizes they likely won't get there with 4 so is forced to create pressure in other ways.

I think Roman was trying to run the offense they had late last year. The problem is that they don't have that ioffense anymore. Crabtree, Moss, Vernon, and Walker were all huge contributors in teh stretch run.

NONE of those guys were on the field vs Indy.

They have kinda returned to basics now and I'd expect a slow build to something close to what we had late last year as key players start coming back from injury.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I guess I just don't understand why its so important that we be that exact when Gore is the primary back on the team.

Moving on...

I guess I just have a bad taste in my mouth with the comments you took back about Franky from last week All is good though in Ninerland and Ninertalk land. It's all in the past, look forward to more breakdowns after wins than losses
Are the 49ers rotating their defensive line more than last year? I thought I saw the second team in there for a bunch of plays. I hope they are giving Justin Smith a breather.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Seems like our plan will be or should be similar to what it was against the Rams for the next 4 weeks until after the bye. I like the "just hold on" type motto. Just hang in there until after the bye week when we should have Willis back (probably back next week already), Manningham back, possibly Aldon back, Moody back, possibly Carradine and/or Dial, Wright if we need him, and working on getting Crabtree back. So if we can go into the break 6-2 or 5-3 heading into week 10, hopefully having most of the guys back that will be back this year, we would be in good shape. Hopefully we can be fully healthy (or about as healthy as we can get) and in perfect stride for the home stretch and possibly playoff run. Props to all the guys who stepped up last night and held up while guys like Nnamdi, Willis, Aldon, etc were out. Dorsey had a great game as well and will have to continue to play well with Williams out. Back to our game plan once we get Manningham and Crabtree back our offense will open up. Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Baldwin, Patton is looking really dang good right now. Until then probably keep it basic.

Basic is what worked though. It worked for Kaep against the Bears last year, it can work for him now. I was shocked when I saw, *gasp* a SLANT! The read option and drooling over Kaep's downfield throwing ability has gotten us away from the West Coast offense.
One thing I also noticed, our ST coverage was monstrous yesterday. Daryl Morris, Stupar, Dixon, Spillman, and a couple others were FLYING out there every time. They were outstanding and I came away really impressed.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Are the 49ers rotating their defensive line more than last year? I thought I saw the second team in there for a bunch of plays. I hope they are giving Justin Smith a breather.

Last few games seen Dobbs and TJE in there more than usual and earlier than usual. Haven't re-watched the game yet but might have been as early as the 2nd quarter. Last year it was more towards the mid 4th, late 3rd at earliest when we rotated them in.

Yeah ST coverage has been better this year but it should be with all the guys on the team we have dedicated to it. Probably twice as many as last year and some spots depth are hurt because of it so in turn ST coverage should be better. Helps that Austin was very hesitant last night.

Defender, I agree basic works. I think we would have been 3-1 if we had VD last week, kept running the ball, and had the game plan we did against the Rams.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
I think Aldon Smith is so good that Fangio kind of takes it for granted and tries to keep Bowman and Willis in coverage instead... I hope he was reminded last night that blitzing Bowman and Willis typically results in good things. I'm speaking of past games where he blitzed Willis.

I LOVE IT WHEN THEY BLITZ. Bowman is harder to block because he comes of the blocks with a spin move and being an ex running back he knows how to move thru trash. Willis has made some plays when blitzed but tends to not get of blocks as well as bowman.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good read, as always, Marvin.

I'd like to add 2 cents on Miller. As great as the O line played, and as great as Gore looked, Miller was a BIG contributor to the success of the run game.

Plus he made a couple nice catches coming out of the backfield.

Another guy that gets overlooked: Brooks. He had another outstanding game, but he's not getting the attention Bowman's getting. They both played great.
When Miller was on the ground I was worried. Every time they run power with Miller leading Gore looks great.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good read, as always, Marvin.

I'd like to add 2 cents on Miller. As great as the O line played, and as great as Gore looked, Miller was a BIG contributor to the success of the run game.

Plus he made a couple nice catches coming out of the backfield.

Another guy that gets overlooked: Brooks. He had another outstanding game, but he's not getting the attention Bowman's getting. They both played great.
When Miller was on the ground I was worried. Every time they run power with Miller leading Gore looks great.

Bruce has really taken the reigns on the FB position. Awesome considering he knew nothing of it before coming to the NFL. Dude just wants to play.

Oh and having Tom Rathman as your RB coach doesnt hurt.