There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Surprised with how well Gore ran. Granted the Oline was way better than the last two games, but still.

Kaep was ok. Needs lot more reps, games, better WRs to see if he can consistently be that great promising QB.

Boldin continues to be great. Lucky to have him part of this team...huge role in both the 49ers wins.

Defense seemed lot fresher without Willis and Smith, unsure how much the Rams were responsible for that. Bowman was amazing!

Really confusing why the coaching staff went away from the run in the first two games...especially in the first half. Raises a lot of questions, what if the 49ers face adversity again.

Hope the offense continues to improve.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Surprised with how well Gore ran. Granted the Oline was way better than the last two games, but still.

Kaep was ok. Needs lot more reps, games, better WRs to see if he can consistently be that great promising QB.

Boldin continues to be great. Lucky to have him part of this team...huge role in both the 49ers wins.

Defense seemed lot fresher without Willis and Smith, unsure how much the Rams were responsible for that. Bowman was amazing!

Really confusing why the coaching staff went away from the run in the first two games...especially in the first half. Raises a lot of questions, what if the 49ers face adversity again.

Hope the offense continues to improve.

Defense was fresher because the offense was sustaining drives.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Ah...been waiting over a year to say this...

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

Do you seriously think that it's always GORE who starts slow? And ONLY Gore?

Kinda missing my point there dude.

It was another odd statement. I called it out.

He's not saying it's Gores fault that he's starting out slow, only that he does.

I know exactly what he's saying. I to say that Gore always starts slow, and just does, isn't looking at everything.

When did I say he always starts slow? Stop inventing reasons to disagree.

I'm not inventing anything When you say if he starts slow "again", and you mention how he lost a step in 2011, that's 3 years basically you thought he started slow.

1) Uh...math not your strong suit. This year and 2011 is TWO. 1 + 1 = 2. There was an "IF" attached to the third. Oh BTW...that was also a joke.

2) At what point did I ever indicate that it was all on him? I'm sorry that my 1671 word post wasn't nuanced enough for you to explain the obvious that I was pretty sure people would be able to figure out on their own. On a side note, if I ever say I'm shocked, I don't mean I've been electricuted. I figure I'll just head this one off at the pass right now.

3) Regardless of the reasons why, Gore got off to a slow start. The best football player on earth can have a slow start. It may not be his fault in any way...BUT IT'S STILL A SLOW START. Is this too complicated?

4) Is your intent here just to start stupid arguments that have nothing to do with anything other than grammar? Sad.

2011, 2013, and potentially next year of him starting slow would indicate 3 years. Apparently I didn't make that clear.

Why do you think I'm trolling you or something? Just because you have ONE disagreement means that person's intent is to troll you and to start "stupid" arguments? Why not just say, the OFFENSE got to a slow start. Sure, Gore is the bellcow, he is the offense, always has been, but in more literal terms of the offense. No running game in week 1, it wasn't even a focus. That's when the crappy play calling began. It worked, sure, but continuing the crappy play-calling and with no focus on to get the run game going would SURE look like that GORE was off to a slow start..... I can't just say 1 person had a slow start, as to why the run didn't get going off the way we would've all wanted it to. And not sure how this argument/debate is about grammar

Just because I don't drool over your post-game posts doesn't mean my intent is to troll
[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM ]
Still heated about that penalty on Whitner
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Still heated about that penalty on Whitner

You really have to hold your breath on every play now... Don't celebrate until it's clear no flag will be thrown
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Any win is a good win. Some are pretty. Some are not. Some make you feel very good because you beat a really good team. Some you just take because winning is the goal. Last night was that last one: Rams have decent talent but are playing poorly right now. So it is a good win but not one to gloat over.

Kaepernick: Started poorly. Finished well, not great. Missed a lot of open receivers, especially in the short zones early. Part of that might have been game plan while others are likely the result of having been told he has a great arm to drive it down the field, hence he feels obligated to do that. Short, easy throws at the beginning of the game is a great way to get a QB in a rhythm. He passed over VD twice on short crossing routes early in favor of deeper throws that did not connect. Defenses look for his deeper throws hence short throws would not only get him in rhythm sooner but also pull safeties up which open deeper throws later. Good confidence builder with the Texans up next.

RBs: The numbers and ball control aspects were terrific. Gore showed he still has the magic...but everybody has been running on the Rams this year. So, it was a win but not one to brag about. The OL and Miller made it easy to move the ball and control the game. Excellent result overall.

OL: Best combined effort of the season. It looked like they were all PO'd about how poorly they played the last two games and just went back and started kicking butt. Iupati had a very good game. Boone had some nice plays but drew a stupid penalty for lack of discipline. Staley, Goodwin and Davis never had their names mentioned, which is a good thing if you are an OL.

WR: Again it was the Rams but some terrific individual effort by Boldin. As usual, the rest of the cast was almost non-existent until Baldwin showed up. A lot of people are mixed about him. Some think he is slow. Some still think he is a head case. I disagree on those counts. I believe he can be a force. His OVERALL package of speed (above average) and size (well above average) make him an ideal possession receiver and red zone threat. He doesn't have to get great separation because of this size. Just put it up in the air and let him go get it. On his first reception he forced the defender to commit, then broke it in for an easy catch. That play alone should earn him more PT. His second catch the DB anticipated the route and took away the yardage needed for the 1st down but Baldwin fought through him to make the catch. A smaller, lighter receiver (Williams, Patton) would not have had the strength to make that play. So even though it did not get the 1st, it saved a possible pick had he not been able to hold the ground. I hope we see more of him.

DEFENSE: Of course Bowman was in beast mode. Don't need to re-tread that ground. I liked the play of Dorsey. He set a tone in the middle early and the rest just followed. Second string OL/LBs showed well. I particularly liked the play of Lemonier. For his first league game he showed well. He got more push on a couple of bull rushes than I expected.

The best part of this win was that it was a win. The team got ready in a short time and now has extra days to get healthy again. They will need it against a Houston team that is still looking for its identity this season.

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

He's not saying it's Gores fault that he's starting out slow, only that he does.

I know exactly what he's saying. I to say that Gore always starts slow, and just does, isn't looking at everything.

I'm not inventing anything When you say if he starts slow "again", and you mention how he lost a step in 2011, that's 3 years basically you thought he started slow.

1) Uh...math not your strong suit. This year and 2011 is TWO. 1 + 1 = 2. There was an "IF" attached to the third. Oh BTW...that was also a joke.

2) At what point did I ever indicate that it was all on him? I'm sorry that my 1671 word post wasn't nuanced enough for you to explain the obvious that I was pretty sure people would be able to figure out on their own. On a side note, if I ever say I'm shocked, I don't mean I've been electricuted. I figure I'll just head this one off at the pass right now.

3) Regardless of the reasons why, Gore got off to a slow start. The best football player on earth can have a slow start. It may not be his fault in any way...BUT IT'S STILL A SLOW START. Is this too complicated?

4) Is your intent here just to start stupid arguments that have nothing to do with anything other than grammar? Sad.

2011, 2013, and potentially next year of him starting slow would indicate 3 years. Apparently I didn't make that clear.

Why do you think I'm trolling you or something? Just because you have ONE disagreement means that person's intent is to troll you and to start "stupid" arguments? Why not just say, the OFFENSE got to a slow start. Sure, Gore is the bellcow, he is the offense, always has been, but in more literal terms of the offense. No running game in week 1, it wasn't even a focus. That's when the crappy play calling began. It worked, sure, but continuing the crappy play-calling and with no focus on to get the run game going would SURE look like that GORE was off to a slow start..... I can't just say 1 person had a slow start, as to why the run didn't get going off the way we would've all wanted it to. And not sure how this argument/debate is about grammar

Just because I don't drool over your post-game posts doesn't mean my intent is to troll

Who said anything about trolling? Jeez..."Just because I don't drool over your post-game posts". LOL. Wow.

Really? THAT'S where you're going to go?

My issue, sir, is that you are choosing like 6 words from a MUCH longer post and trying to make it out like I'm saying something that I'm not. Why don't I say Offense started slow? Kaepernick throwing for over 400 yards and 3 TDs and Boldin having 200 yards doesn't indicate "slow start".

GORE had a slow start. Why is saying he had a slow start so insulting to him? Just about every member of this forum knows WHY he had a slow start. What was it exactly I said that required your correction? I'm sorry I didn't feel it necessary to explain the exact reasons that he MIGHT have a slow start next year in a hypothetical example...in a joke.

You are arguing grammar by taking issue with the fact that I said GORE had a slow start....instead of the offense, or the run game...or whatever else you might have seen fit to tell me I should have said. Bottom line...I was being light hearted and you are taking it seriously.

Kinda done with this now. I'm still not sure what your point was. Nobody is blaming Gore for all the woes of the offense.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM ]
Damn, my boy never gets enough credit around here: Brooks moved to the WILL spot on the fly and lead the team in tackles AND had 1.5 sacks. The dude dominated again on the edges and played all over the place. He even knocked down another pass. Clutch. Give some love to my boy! (end rant)
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]

Who said anything about trolling? Jeez..."Just because I don't drool over your post-game posts". LOL. Wow.

My issue, sir, is that you are choosing like 6 words from a MUCH longer post and trying to make it out like I'm saying something that I'm not. Why don't I say Offense started slow? Kaepernick throwing for over 400 yards and 3 TDs and Boldin having 200 yards doesn't indicate "slow start".

GORE had a slow start. Why is saying he had a slow start so insulting to him? Just about every member of this forum knows WHY he had a slow start. What was it exactly I said that required your correction? I'm sorry I didn't feel it necessary to explain the exact reasons that he MIGHT have a slow start next year in a hypothetical example...in a joke.

You are arguing grammar by taking issue with the fact that I said GORE had a slow start....instead of the offense, or the run game...or whatever else you might have seen fit to tell me I should have said. Bottom line...I was being light hearted and you are taking it seriously.

Kinda done with this now. I'm still not sure what your point was. Nobody is blaming Gore for all the woes of the offense.

When you're asking if my intent is just to start something, that can fall along the same lines as trolling. So the fact you'd assume that looked negative on your part.

And when we talk about gore, and OFFENSE, I think that favors the running game more than the pass. So I didn't include Kaep's passing performance as part of the slow start since the talk has been about Franky. To re-phrase for the benefit of my argument,

The offensive RUNNING game had a slow start.

[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Another guy that gets overlooked: Brooks. He had another outstanding game, but he's not getting the attention Bowman's getting. They both played great.

JUST saw this...LOL. Admit it, you're giving him props for me, man!

When you're asking if my intent is just to start something, that can fall along the same lines as trolling. So the fact you'd assume that looked negative on your part.

And when we talk about gore, and OFFENSE, I think that favors the running game more than the pass. So I didn't include Kaep's passing performance as part of the slow start since the talk has been about Franky. To re-phrase for the benefit of my argument,

STOP

I guess I just don't understand why its so important that we be that exact when Gore is the primary back on the team.

Moving on...
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Damn, my boy never gets enough credit around here: Brooks moved to the WILL spot on the fly and lead the team in tackles AND had 1.5 sacks. The dude dominated again on the edges and played all over the place. He even knocked down another pass. Clutch. Give some love to my boy! (end rant)

Enough?
New member here. Love reading all your guys comments. I just saw something come across my twitter feed about Whitner. Check out what he said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/donte-whitner-49ers-ss-joined
Quick Thought

Vance McDonald was running wide open virtually all game. Once he gets on the same page with Kap we could have a beastly offense. AQ, JB (if he continues to impress), VD, BM, Gore and VM, Have fun trying to match up with that package.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home