There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ah...been waiting over a year to say this...

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

Do you seriously think that it's always GORE who starts slow? And ONLY Gore?

Kinda missing my point there dude.

It was another odd statement. I called it out.

He's not saying it's Gores fault that he's starting out slow, only that he does.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Always look forward to your reviews, Marvin.

Any thoughts on Reid?

Not really....Bradford seldom threw the ball beyond 10 yards, so not much to evaluate.

Good point. I couldn't tell if it was more Bradford's inherent unwillingness to sling it out, or Reid's coverage/play/
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Ah...been waiting over a year to say this...

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

Do you seriously think that it's always GORE who starts slow? And ONLY Gore?

Kinda missing my point there dude.

It was another odd statement. I called it out.

He's not saying it's Gores fault that he's starting out slow, only that he does.

I know exactly what he's saying. I to say that Gore always starts slow, and just does, isn't looking at everything.
Originally posted by kidash98:
My take:

1) Kaep looked lost there for a second. Granted, he came around towards the second half but he missed a few open receivers that would have generated points on the board. He still has a "staring issue" when throwing to a receiver and was almost picked more times in last nights game. Bullet passes when he didn't need to, he needs to learn how to softly put the ball when needed. Need to work on his read progression. Seems like he's only targeting one player most of the time. We played a mediocre team last night, not the Rams from last year that beat us once and tied the other. Not too exited.

2) Our receiving corp (minus Boldin) is still crap. Still couldn't get good separation from the DB's. Loved that Baldwin and Patton got some touch but overall, we need to get this guys going.

3) Defensively, we played well. I can't say great because we played the Rams (and they seriously suck right now). Good to see Bowman beasting out there, esp. without Willis next to him. Man was all over the field. Whitner needs to play better, IMO, as well as our secondaries. We still play 5-10 yards off the receivers and they had chances to throw it (not sure why they didn't).

4) Good to see how we returned to basic when it came to our running game. Gore was getting in the holes very quickly thanks to superb line works and Miller ramming the lane open. Hunter needs more touch, IMO. Very deceptive spped on that guy.

Marvin's write-up is as great as always, but this post above is very close to my take of the game. I think Kaep was very, very cautious in the first quarter, and even when we went easily ahead he shied from some big plays, e.g. that potential TD strike to Vernon in the 3rd quarter when we were backed up against our goal line. I think he saw him but was afraid of the pick and went for the safer check-down to Baldwin. It seemed to me that his confidence was shot after the last two games and he needed to get it back up again. Even so, he was VERY lucky not to have two passes picked, particularly the one that Laurinaitis flat out dropped. That was a terrible throw BTW, he telegraphed that throw to Kyle W. terribly.

Speaking of whom, our receivers STILL seem to have trouble getting separation from man coverage. Boldin manages by being crafty (and by pushing off the corners repeatedly in the best Alvin Harper tradition ), and Vernon is fast and very dangerous off play-action. But the rest don't cut it; either they're slow or their route running is poor, I don't know, but they always seem covered.

The D played well in the circumstances (=injuries). Lemonier looked useful, and I even noticed Wilhoite doing nice things out there. Navorro was obviously beyond just a beast, although he should have held on to that pick-six

We have a lot of work to do if the O can do a job on Houston's very rough defense. I have no doubt that the D will keep their score low, but we need long drives vs them.
  • DBSYM
  • Veteran
If anyone missed it, was stuck in traffic, or just want's another look, the game is up.

Week 4 49ers vs Rams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbT6ygvnmE

As for the topic, these threads are gems. This place has such great fans with superb insight. I second an opinion on Eric Reid.
EDIT: I'm too slow or you guy are just too quick lol. nvm.
[ Edited by DBSYM on Sep 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM ]
Good stuff, Marvin, but the one glaring thing I noted was that the rams didn't use an 8 man line on us until that one play on 4th down where Frank got the 40 yd TD. It is the 8 man line that has killed us and both INDY and SEA use it extensively.

Snake Pillsen had a nice answer to that : Vernon Vance Baldwin Celek.. all big dudes. But I would add to that, Boldin, thus making our lineup look like:
Boldin Vance Vernon Celek Baldwin No way to know, but I don't see any of these guys getting manhandled and thrown around like SEA did with patton and moore. Put these guys up against the 8 man line, and throw 7 and 8 yd completions until the LBs back off the LOS. THEN, give the ball to FRank and let him go crazy.
We have yet to play well , or even half decent, against an 8 man line. This would be a good way to go. Question is, do roman , and more importantly, JH see it also?

We haven't seen our last 8 man DLine. We got more coming up, and the above sure seems a good way to take them out of it.
Marvin, I wholeheartedly agree with #9

Didn't realize how many times Crabs balled out beating press coverage last year, I think this year teaches us how Crabtree is highly underrated!
My take:

1) Kaep looked lost there for a second. Granted, he came around towards the second half but he missed a few open receivers that would have generated points on the board. He still has a "staring issue" when throwing to a receiver and was almost picked more times in last nights game. Bullet passes when he didn't need to, he needs to learn how to softly put the ball when needed. Need to work on his read progression. Seems like he's only targeting one player most of the time. We played a mediocre team last night, not the Rams from last year that beat us once and tied the other. Not too exited.

2) Our receiving corp (minus Boldin) is still crap. Still couldn't get good separation from the DB's. Loved that Baldwin and Patton got some touch but overall, we need to get this guys going.

3) Defensively, we played well. I can't say great because we played the Rams (and they seriously suck right now). Good to see Bowman beasting out there, esp. without Willis next to him. Man was all over the field. Whitner needs to play better, IMO, as well as our secondaries. We still play 5-10 yards off the receivers and they had chances to throw it (not sure why they didn't).

4) Good to see how we returned to basic when it came to our running game. Gore was getting in the holes very quickly thanks to superb line works and Miller ramming the lane open. Hunter needs more touch, IMO. Very deceptive spped on that guy.

About Kap: I think you're thinking too much into what Mike Mayock was saying during the broadcast, on both plays where Mayock had questioned Kap's vision were deep in Niners territory and defenders were on his tail at both times. I think Kap made the right play by not forcing the ball on those plays... the defense was playing outstanding, you dont want to risk turning the ball over that early in the game. Also, even the best of the best miss open receivers from time to time, Kap will can only learn from this. The Oline gave better protection as the game went on and he was going through his read much better. Perfect example was the TD passes to both Boldin and VD
My take:

About Kap: I think you're thinking too much into what Mike Mayock was saying during the broadcast, on both plays where Mayock had questioned Kap's vision were deep in Niners territory and defenders were on his tail at both times. I think Kap made the right play by not forcing the ball on those plays... the defense was playing outstanding, you dont want to risk turning the ball over that early in the game. Also, even the best of the best miss open receivers from time to time, Kap will can only learn from this. The Oline gave better protection as the game went on and he was going through his read much better. Perfect example was the TD passes to both Boldin and VD

Gore obviously doesn't have the burst he once had, although he was never a "speed" guy, but he has such tremendous vision and patience that he is still a great RB. But we saw what he can still do last night with just a small crease and an "escape" angle he could take to keep from getting caught by the DB.

And this isn't meant to be a knock on Gore, or that Hunter is better (he's not), but on that sweep TD run, there's no way the 2013 Gore makes that run. Hunter took that pitch 7 yards deep, and both Long and Laurinaitis had a shot at him 2 yds behind the LOS, but he was too fast and got through the wash, he broke Armstrong's (LB) ankles at the 25, and then still outran the pursuing Laurinaitis AND Janoris Jenkins who is fast AND had an angle.

Again, my intent isn't to say Gore has "lost it", but just saying the Niners have 2 very good RBs in Gore and Hunter, and IMO a mix of 20-25 touches Gore and 10-15 Hunter is optimal...and I know for some people jury is still out on LMJ, but I think he's a playmaker and hope Roman will come up with ways to get him the ball out in space.
I miss Crabtree. Hope he's miraculously back and at 100 percent for our game against Seattle so he can s**t on Shermans face.
Fine post as always - keep 'em coming.

My 2 cents.

Iupati was a beast. He was beating people up.

Hunter is soooo better than LMJ and we need to keep using him more.

Lemonier, Whilhoite and Skuta[sp] played very well.

Brooks keeps getting better.

Kap - needs to wk. on his soft touch, not telegraphing and he'll be just fine. This game was a well needed confidence builder.

Hopefully, our coaches will continue this "back-to-basics" approach even when our starters return from injury.

Finally, KUDOS to Reid, Rogers and company for making Tavon Austin a non-factor.
BTW - I don't think Fisher challenged that spot on Frank's 3rd done run inside 2 minutes. He was calling a timeout in the hopes that the replay officials would have more time to look at it and overturn the spot. In effect, a backdoor challenge. But completely within the rules. As it was, the replay booth beat him to it, did the review and changed the spot. The Rams were not charged with a timeout on that play. Mayock and Nessler missed those finer details, but that's the hazard of a live broadcast. (They also kept saying Crabtree was on PUP when he is on Designated IR - it's a minor point. But it does change return time and roster impact for each of the players).
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I love reading these. At least after wins.

Couple of things. Please keep bashing Gore. Say he is old and slow and that he needs to be replaced. I'm superstitious as well. Kind of like a few years back, whenever Oscar predicted a loss we would win. So down with Frank!!

Also, any thoughts on Fishers challenge inside of two minutes? I know it worked to our advantage as Gore scored on the 4th and inches play. But was it legal for him to challenge inside of two minutes? Havent seen it mentioned anywhere on the boards here, on NFL.com or on NFL Network. Anyone know if this was legit? The refs have been terrible league wide this year, which makes me wonder.

Last. We need a new kicker. Who misses from 71 yards? (had to toss that in just because its NT)

Ya know...I was wondering the same thing about the challenge. I don't think he's able to do that. It didn't make a diff so nobody is making a big deal out of it, but I thought the same thing when it happened.

It actually wasn't a challenge, but a booth review. I think Fisher tried to call timeout or something in order to give them time to review it before the Niners ran a play. But they had decided to review it at the same time.
Originally posted by 49erCanuck:
BTW - I don't think Fisher challenged that spot on Frank's 3rd done run inside 2 minutes. He was calling a timeout in the hopes that the replay officials would have more time to look at it and overturn the spot. In effect, a backdoor challenge. But completely within the rules. As it was, the replay booth beat him to it, did the review and changed the spot. The Rams were not charged with a timeout on that play. Mayock and Nessler missed those finer details, but that's the hazard of a live broadcast. (They also kept saying Crabtree was on PUP when he is on Designated IR - it's a minor point. But it does change return time and roster impact for each of the players).

Whoops, didn't see your post. You essentially said the same thing.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
They should blitz bowman more often. Also, the D hasn't looked this good since last year. THAT'S THE D THAT IM USE TO.

One of the strengths in the Niners D was the ability to rush 4 and get to the QB. So I wouldn't want to put our secondary at risk too many times. We wont need to blitz bowman as much, give lemonier more shots and he'll produce some sacks for us.