There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Damn, Marvin now your just showing off.
Good read, as always, Marvin.

I'd like to add 2 cents on Miller. As great as the O line played, and as great as Gore looked, Miller was a BIG contributor to the success of the run game.

Plus he made a couple nice catches coming out of the backfield.

Another guy that gets overlooked: Brooks. He had another outstanding game, but he's not getting the attention Bowman's getting. They both played great.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Hats off to Roman and Harbaugh for finally realizing KW is not the answer at WR. Starting Quinton Patton was a good start, giving more snaps to Baldwin, and having Perrish Cox and LMJ do KR and Pr will make KW expendable. The sooner the better in my opinion. The bottom 15% of any roster is always being churned, he needs to be put on notice that his days are numbered.
First of all, great thoughtful post as always Marv.
I agree with you 9erred. I thought as the season progressed we would see more of Patton and less of KW. Although I think KW is a good football player his size is a detriment. I also think that Patton is going to be at least as good as Crabs and far sooner in his career. I just hope that Baldwin continues to get playing time but as both he and Patton are learning a new system and playbook it I thought it would take some time.

I like Patton, but I think Crab is WAY undervalued.

Crab is a damn good WR who's been stuck in an offense that didn't utilize his talents well. He also had a QB who wasn't all that adept at throwing the ball down the field.

All that changed when Kap took over. It isn't a coincidense that Crab is out and all of the sudden teams are able to man-up the WRs and nobody is getting open. Crab was able to beat that coverage on a consitant basis last year.
Marv, don't get me wrong. I think Crabs is a very good reciever, especially with his YAC. I just think because of all of his missed time in preseason the first three years that Patton is as talented and will progress faster. I watched both in college and they reminded me a lot of each other then. I am not basing this on Patton's play as a pro. I would be surprised if we resign Crabs just because of how much he will be offered in FA ,although I would be very pleased if we do.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good read, as always, Marvin.

I'd like to add 2 cents on Miller. As great as the O line played, and as great as Gore looked, Miller was a BIG contributor to the success of the run game.

Plus he made a couple nice catches coming out of the backfield.

Another guy that gets overlooked: Brooks. He had another outstanding game, but he's not getting the attention Bowman's getting. They both played great.

Agreed on both Miller and Brooks.
You pretty much nailed it again this week, Marvin. Nice to see you walk back your Gore comments from last week.

Rams are truly awful and the O sputtered at times. Not sure we are out of the woods yet, but a big rest coming up before the Texans, then the easier part of the schedule.

We woulda been in deep sh*t if we lost this game, but we didn't.
Hats off to Roman and Harbaugh for finally realizing KW is not the answer at WR. Starting Quinton Patton was a good start, giving more snaps to Baldwin, and having Perrish Cox and LMJ do KR and Pr will make KW expendable. The sooner the better in my opinion. The bottom 15% of any roster is always being churned, he needs to be put on notice that his days are numbered.
I agree with you 9erred. I thought as the season progressed we would see more of Patton and less of KW. Although I think KW is a good football player his size is a detriment. I also think that Patton is going to be at least as good as Crabs and far sooner in his career. I just hope that Baldwin continues to get playing time but as both he and Patton are learning a new system and playbook it I thought it would take some time.

Crab is a damn good WR who's been stuck in an offense that didn't utilize his talents well. He also had a QB who wasn't all that adept at throwing the ball down the field.

All that changed when Kap took over. It isn't a coincidense that Crab is out and all of the sudden teams are able to man-up the WRs and nobody is getting open. Crab was able to beat that coverage on a consitant basis last year.
Marv, don't get me wrong. I think Crabs is a very good reciever, especially with his YAC. I just think because of all of his missed time in preseason the first three years that Patton is as talented and will progress faster. I watched both in college and they reminded me a lot of each other then. I am not basing this on Patton's play as a pro. I would be surprised if we resign Crabs just because of how much he will be offered in FA ,although I would be very pleased if we do.

I hear you, but I don't think Patton will ever be as good as Crab. That has more to do with my opinion of Crab tho than my opinion of Patton.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Damn, Marvin now your just showing off.

I think Aldon Smith is so good that Fangio kind of takes it for granted and tries to keep Bowman and Willis in coverage instead... I hope he was reminded last night that blitzing Bowman and Willis typically results in good things. I'm speaking of past games where he blitzed Willis.
Ah...been waiting over a year to say this...

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

Do you seriously think that it's always GORE who starts slow? And ONLY Gore?

I hear you, but I don't think Patton will ever be as good as Crab. That has more to do with my opinion of Crab tho than my opinion of Patton.
I really liked both when they played in college and hoped that we would draft both when the time came. Got my wish then, just keeping my fingers crossed that I will be as right about Patton as I was about Crabs. Always a cockeyed 49er optimist.
Always look forward to your reviews, Marvin.

Any thoughts on Reid?
Originally posted by defenderDX:

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

Kinda missing my point there dude.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Always look forward to your reviews, Marvin.

Any thoughts on Reid?

Not really....Bradford seldom threw the ball beyond 10 yards, so not much to evaluate.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Kinda missing my point there dude.

It was another odd statement. I called it out.
I thought that the team played much better today than against the Colts. I was not sure why they played better because they ran pretty well on the Colts and then stopped running. Seems that Roman stayed more committed to the run last night and they stayed with it and it produced and it eased things up for Kaep and he got some confidence back, and the defense got some rest.

How did Reid do last night? Did Morris get some CB work or only ST work? How did Brock do? How did Stupa and Wilhoite and Lemonier do? Bowman seems more comfortable when he is without Willis.

Seems that SF simplified the game plan and got their plays in more rapidly and smoothly. So apparently they did some changes and the changes were productive.

Overall the team just seemed to be more interested in playing and were more intense than in the Colts game. Don't know if that is Super Bowl hangover or what.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home