There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Ah...been waiting over a year to say this...

"Same ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. I know, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

4) Bowman: Wow. He was on fire last night. I think alot of that was because they were blitzing him like crazy to create pressure...but WOW...those Ram RBs must have had nightmares last night featuring a big red monster and a number 53 emblazoned on his chest. He was everywhere. Unstoppable. This is now the second time in his career that he's had to play without Pat...and in both cases his play has IMPROVED, not regressed. So many people have said that he benefits greatly from having Pat next to him...which is partially true. He proved AGAIN tho last night that he is a GREAT player in his own right.

5) Whitner: I'm not his biggest fan. I've said many times that I love his aggressievness and I love his run support, but his pass defense? Not so much. I felt bad for the guy last night tho. He got himself in position to make an INT and just had the ball bounce off his hands and caught by the receiver. You couldn't do that again if you tried. The pick that he got off the deflection was karma. Those plays tho aren't the reason I'm including him here in my post tho. It was the hit in the endzone. What the hell was he SUPPOSED to do in that situation? He led with his shoulder. The receiver is a moving target. If Whitner is targeting his chest, it's almost impossible to hit because the receiver is falling to the ground. Whitner did everything in his power to both play good defense (knock loose the ball) AND play within the rules by leading with his shoulder. The only other thing he could have done was simply let the receiver catch the ball. Even in that case, he made the right call. The choices were a TD or 1st and goal at the 5. This is two weeks now that he's gotten a penalty for a hit. Last year I was annoyed with Goldson because he continued to make the same mistake over and over. On this one tho...Whitner made the right call on both hits he's been penalized for. If the NFL wants these rule changes to work, then they have to stop penalizing clean plays.

6) Roman: Can we get off the gameplan now? He gave most of you what you wanted...in spades. Back to basics. Back to an offense very similar to what Alex ran. I suspect we'll see alot of this type of offense until they can get some guys back...ESPECIALLY if they can get Crab back. If they can get Crab, Boldin, AND Manningham back as their top 3 in addition to Vernon...teams will be forced to pay for playing man coverage. For now tho...its all about keep it simple, grind it out, and get through the schedule until the horses come back.

7) Defense: Look at that. The offense sustained some drives (until the end when they were trying to run out the clock), the D was able to stay fresh, and they DOMINATED. It isn't lost on me that the Rams O sucks pretty bad, but my point is that when the D isn't on the field for 36-37 minutes, they are still pretty damn good. ALL of the Rams points were on a short field. The field goal came after the 49ers had missed a field goal so the Rams got the ball at the 49er 43 and drove only 23 yards. The TD...well we all know that they got there on a turnover and the penalty was BS.

8) O-Line: Again...it's clear that the Rams have issues stopping the run, but DAMN did the line maul them up front. On the road no less. Impressive.

9) WRs: This is still a concern until Crab and Manningham get back. They are still not really getting open without a ton of assistance from the scheme. Boldin played very well, but it's clear that he's the only WR out there that Kap has any trust in. Baldwin had a few good catches, but he's never going to get a ton of separation either. Getting Vernon back was HUGE tho. Just having him running around out there with a limp was enough to scare the defense and create space. DAMN I want Crab back. LOL. I personally thought Crabtree would be a guy they might let walk away when his contract expired. You can't keep everyone as they say. If this early season experience has taught us anything it's that Crabtree needs to be in the long term future of this team.

10) NFC West: Wow. I'm starting to think this division isn't as good as we thought. LOL. Seattle is 3-0 but they've played 2 games at home and outside of the sound thrashing they put on us they had a close game in Carolina and then they beat the Jags. It'll be interesting to see how they do here in back to back road games vs the Texans and Colts. Kinda happy that the Jags was one of their home games because its kinda a waste of that homefield advantage. LOL. We get them as a road game...in London. The Rams are far worse than we thought and the only win THEY have is over Arizona. Last night the Niners kinda exercised the demon of those fluky Rams games from last year. I've been on other team boards and they laughed when I called those games fluky, but anyone who watched those games would see that they were exactly that. One game featered game winning filed goal misses and a QB switch in the middle of the game. The only TD scored by the Rams in the other game was a really bad pitch by Kap and a horrible effort by Ginn to recover it. I never had any fear of the Rams because as I've said all offseason, they lost the only 2 guys that worried me...Jackson and Amendola. I think they are starting to realize just how big a piece of the puzzle Jackson was. Unfortunately...we'll see him again when Atlanta comes to town.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
You are my hero Marvin.
Do you take notes while watching the games ?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ah...been waiting over a year to say this...

"Sam ol' sorry a$$ Rams". Kinda sad tho that the originator of that line saw his kid break his leg last night.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 11 starts, 188 comp, 309 att, 60.84 comp%, 2456 yards, 7.94 YPA, 15 TDs, 7 INTs, 92.64 QB Rating. I know one of you said it was time to stop doing the career rating as a starter and just concentrate on this year...but I'm gonna do it anyway. I just want to do this until we get to 16 regular season starts. Not a perfect game for Kap, but not bad at all. 42 yard pass to Boldin was pretty...perfect throw. The Boldin TD was a nice throw but an even better effort by Boldin. TD to Vernon was a nice read and a nice pass. Very solid game on a short week and on the road.

2) Injuries: Man, I thought Staley was done for the year. You could hear him wailing on the field. The way he was sounding I half expected to see his knee bend backwards or something. REALLY happy to see hear that it appears to be minor. This was really a HUGE win for the Niners. No, the Rams are clearly not a good team. Short week on the road tho with Aldon gone, Willis hurt, and Vernon less than 100%...this was a really good win. Gets It gets the ship back on course AND has the added benefit of a long week afterward to get healthy and the next two games are at home. In a few weeks Manningham, Carradine, and Dial will all be eligible to return. So will Crab but we all know he's most likely still a few months out. If we can get through Houston next weekend, we may be in pretty good shape with a 3-2 record through that opening 5 game crucible to start the season. Whats more is that even tho losing to Seattle hurt, losing to Indy doesn't hurt as much as a loss to GB or the Rams would have because they are an out of conference team. If you had to CHOOSE which games you would lose in that opening 5 weeks, Indy and Houston would be the best ones to lose.

3) Gore/Hunter: OK...I have to fess up to something now. Last week in this webspace I made a comment about how I though Gore was starting to look old and that Hunter should get more carries. I was rightly called out by several of you on that one. On some level, I did and still do believe that...but I had an ulterior motive. Two years ago I wrote something very similar to what I wrote here last week. Early in 2011 I wrote that Gore had lost a step and that I thought it was time to get someone else involved. At that time I really believed that and he proved me wrong in a big way. That was on my mind when I wrote what I wrote last week. Obviously, what I write here has ZERO effect on what actually happens out there....except in my superstitious mind. I don't want to get it all twisted tho...I do still really like Hunter and I'd like to see him get his carries...but I didn't think Gore was as finished as I'd let on. Once again....Gore proved me wrong...and I'm happy. If Gore starts slow again next year, keep this in mind if I start making odd statements about how it's time to replace him. Moving forward tho, it does concern me that 2 of the most indispesable pieces of the team (Gore and Justin) are in their 30s and approaching the twilight of their careers. That is a conversation for another day...tho I am looking forward to seeing Marcus Lattimore next year.

4) Bowman: Wow. He was on fire last night. I think alot of that was because they were blitzing him like crazy to create pressure...but WOW...those Ram RBs must have had nightmares last night featuring a big red monster and a number 53 emblazoned on his chest. He was everywhere. Unstoppable. This is now the second time in his career that he's had to play without Pat...and in both cases his play has IMPROVED, not regressed. So many people have said that he benefits greatly from having Pat next to him...which is partially true. He proved AGAIN tho last night that he is a GREAT player in his own right.

5) Whitner: I'm not his biggest fan. I've said many times that I love his aggressivness and I love his run support, but his pass defense? Not so much. I felt bad for the guy last night tho. He got himself in position to make an INT and just had the ball bounce off his hands and caught by the receiver. You couldn't do that again if you tried. The pick that he got off the deflection was karma. Those plays tho aren't the reason I'm including him here in my post tho. It was the hit in the endzone. What the hell was he SUPPOSED to do in that situation. He led with his shoulder. The receiver is a moving target. If Whitner is targeting his chest, its almost impossible to hit because teh receiver is falling to the ground. Whitner did everything in his power to both play good defense (knock loose the ball) AND play within the rules by leading with his shoulder. The only other thing he could have done was simply let the receiver catch the ball. Even in that case, he made the right call. The choices were a TD or 1st and goal at the 5. This is two weeks now that he's gotten a penalty for a hit. Last year I was annoyed with Goldson because he continued to make the same mistake over and over. On this one tho...Whitner made the right call on both hits he's been penalized for. If the NFL wants these rule changes to work, then they have to stop penalizing clean plays.

6) Roman: Can we get off the gameplan now? He gave most of you what you wanted...in spades. Back to basics. Back to an offense very similar to what Alex ran. I suspect we'll see alot of this type of offense until they can get some guys back...ESPECIALLY if they can get Crab back. If they can get Crab, Boldin, AND Manningham back as their top 3 in addition to Vernon...teams will be forced to pay for playing man coverage. For now tho...its all about keep it simple, grind it out, and get through the schedule until the horses come back.

7) Defense: Look at that. The offense sustained some drives (until the end when they were trying to run out the clock), the D was able to stay fresh, and they DOMINATED. It isn't lost on me that the Rams O sucks pretty bad, but my point is that when the D isn't on the field for 36-37 minutes, they are still pretty damn good. ALL of the Rams points were on a short field. The field goal came after the 49ers had missed a field goal so the Rams got the ball at the 49er 43 and drove only 23 yards. The TD...well we all know that they got there on a turnover and the penalty was BS.

8) O-Line: Again...it's clear that the Rams have issues stopping the run, but DAMN did the line maul them up front. On the road no less. Impressive.

9) WRs: This is still a concern until Crab and Manningham get back. They are still not really getting open without a ton of assistance from the scheme. Boldin played very well, but it's clear that he's the only WR out there that Kap has any trust in. Baldwin had a few good catches, but he's never going to get a ton of separation either. Getting Vernon back was HUGE tho. Just having him running around out there with a limp was enough to scare the defense and create space. DAMN I want Crab back. LOL. I personally thought Crabtree would be a guy they might let walk away when his contract expired. You can't keep everyone as they say. If this early season experience has taught us anything it's that Crabtree needs to be in the long term future of this team.

10) NFC West: Wow. I'm starting to think this division isn't as good as we thought. LOL. Seattle is 3-0 but they've played 2 games at home and outside of the sound thrashing they put on us they had a close game in Carolina and then they beat the Jags. It'll be interesting to see how they do here in back to back road games vs the Texans and Colts. Kinda happy that the Jags was one of their home games because its kinda a waste of that homefield advantage. LOL. We get them as a road game...in London. The Rams are far worse than we thought and the only win THEY have is over Arizona. Last night the Niners kinda exercised the deamon of those fluky Rams games from last year. I've been on other team boards and they laughed when I called those games fluky, but anyone who watched those games would see that they were exactly that. One game featered game winning filed goal misses and a QB switch in the middle of the game. The only TD scored by the Rams in the other game was a really bad pitch by Kap and a horrible effort by Ginn to recover it. I never had any fear of the Rams because as I've said all offseason, they lost the only 2 guys that worried me...Jackson and Amendola. I think they are starting to realize just how big a piece of the puzzle Jackson was. Unfortunately...we'll see him again when Atlanta comes to town.

this keep the defense fresh and we are still top-5 in the league
Originally posted by susweel:
Do you take notes while watching the games ?

Nope.
Hats off to Roman and Harbaugh for finally realizing KW is not the answer at WR. Starting Quinton Patton was a good start, giving more snaps to Baldwin, and having Perrish Cox and LMJ do KR and Pr will make KW expendable. The sooner the better in my opinion. The bottom 15% of any roster is always being churned, he needs to be put on notice that his days are numbered.
Nice write-up. Enjoy these...for the most part

Ill second what you said about Whitner. Felt bad for him. Doing everything he could to do it "right", and still got it "wrong". Bs really. Im interested to see if there is a fine handed down, because personally, I doubt there will be.

For a bit there, it looked like Patton was playing number 2, which I liked. But then he went down. Hoping hes ok, because I think he can make a name for himself.

I thought the Lemonier, Wilhoite, Skuta, all played pretty damn good too. Im really liking this Lemonier guy. His wingspan is ridiculous, and he looks like a monster out there. The league will know his name soon too.

Glad theyre starting to right the ship. Love Frank. So much heart and dertermination. Love Kap, Oline love last night. Loved it. Lets get healthy and continue.
My take:

1) Kaep looked lost there for a second. Granted, he came around towards the second half but he missed a few open receivers that would have generated points on the board. He still has a "staring issue" when throwing to a receiver and was almost picked more times in last nights game. Bullet passes when he didn't need to, he needs to learn how to softly put the ball when needed. Need to work on his read progression. Seems like he's only targeting one player most of the time. We played a mediocre team last night, not the Rams from last year that beat us once and tied the other. Not too exited.

2) Our receiving corp (minus Boldin) is still crap. Still couldn't get good separation from the DB's. Loved that Baldwin and Patton got some touch but overall, we need to get this guys going.

3) Defensively, we played well. I can't say great because we played the Rams (and they seriously suck right now). Good to see Bowman beasting out there, esp. without Willis next to him. Man was all over the field. Whitner needs to play better, IMO, as well as our secondaries. We still play 5-10 yards off the receivers and they had chances to throw it (not sure why they didn't).

4) Good to see how we returned to basic when it came to our running game. Gore was getting in the holes very quickly thanks to superb line works and Miller ramming the lane open. Hunter needs more touch, IMO. Very deceptive spped on that guy.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
You are my hero Marvin.

this!
They should blitz bowman more often. Also, the D hasn't looked this good since last year. THAT'S THE D THAT IM USE TO.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Hats off to Roman and Harbaugh for finally realizing KW is not the answer at WR. Starting Quinton Patton was a good start, giving more snaps to Baldwin, and having Perrish Cox and LMJ do KR and Pr will make KW expendable. The sooner the better in my opinion. The bottom 15% of any roster is always being churned, he needs to be put on notice that his days are numbered.
First of all, great thoughtful post as always Marv.
I agree with you 9erred. I thought as the season progressed we would see more of Patton and less of KW. Although I think KW is a good football player his size is a detriment. I also think that Patton is going to be at least as good as Crabs and far sooner in his career. I just hope that Baldwin continues to get playing time but as both he and Patton are learning a new system and playbook it I thought it would take some time.
[ Edited by Born49R on Sep 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM ]
I love reading these. At least after wins.

Couple of things. Please keep bashing Gore. Say he is old and slow and that he needs to be replaced. I'm superstitious as well. Kind of like a few years back, whenever Oscar predicted a loss we would win. So down with Frank!!

Also, any thoughts on Fishers challenge inside of two minutes? I know it worked to our advantage as Gore scored on the 4th and inches play. But was it legal for him to challenge inside of two minutes? Havent seen it mentioned anywhere on the boards here, on NFL.com or on NFL Network. Anyone know if this was legit? The refs have been terrible league wide this year, which makes me wonder.

Last. We need a new kicker. Who misses from 71 yards? (had to toss that in just because its NT)
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by 9erred:
First of all, great thoughtful post as always Marv.
I agree with you 9erred. I thought as the season progressed we would see more of Patton and less of KW. Although I think KW is a good football player his size is a detriment. I also think that Patton is going to be at least as good as Crabs and far sooner in his career. I just hope that Baldwin continues to get playing time but as both he and Patton are learning a new system and playbook it I thought it would take some time.

I like Patton, but I think Crab is WAY undervalued.

Crab is a damn good WR who's been stuck in an offense that didn't utilize his talents well. He also had a QB who wasn't all that adept at throwing the ball down the field.

All that changed when Kap took over. It isn't a coincidense that Crab is out and all of the sudden teams are able to man-up the WRs and nobody is getting open. Crab was able to beat that coverage on a consitant basis last year.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I love reading these. At least after wins.

Couple of things. Please keep bashing Gore. Say he is old and slow and that he needs to be replaced. I'm superstitious as well. Kind of like a few years back, whenever Oscar predicted a loss we would win. So down with Frank!!

Also, any thoughts on Fishers challenge inside of two minutes? I know it worked to our advantage as Gore scored on the 4th and inches play. But was it legal for him to challenge inside of two minutes? Havent seen it mentioned anywhere on the boards here, on NFL.com or on NFL Network. Anyone know if this was legit? The refs have been terrible league wide this year, which makes me wonder.

Last. We need a new kicker. Who misses from 71 yards? (had to toss that in just because its NT)

Ya know...I was wondering the same thing about the challenge. I don't think he's able to do that. It didn't make a diff so nobody is making a big deal out of it, but I thought the same thing when it happened.
"Seattle is 3-0 but they've played 2 games at home and outside of the sound thrashing they put on us they had a close game in Carolina and then they beat the Jags. It'll be interesting to see how they do here in back to back road games vs the Texans and Colts."

Thank you for the reality check!
1. seattle BARELY beat a struggling panthers team.
2. Niners played a bad game, and was still in it up until late in the game AT seattle.
3. seattle beat the jags. Big deal, who doesn't?

Had to admit, while watching last night's game, when Whitner did the "alley-oop" to the rams, I was like, Really? REALLY??? Are you kidding me? The football gods are at it again."
Kap looked worried walking out of the locker room, glad to see he left on a huge high note.