There are 204 users in the forums

Our kickers could develop (yet) another skill....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Phil Dawson is PISSING ME OFF!! WTH is that? He choked against GB and he choked against the Lambs indoors. I'd hate for a game to come down to him making a FG.
Originally posted by theduke85:
What Harbaugh did last night was stupid. It's much more likely that a team is going to return that kick for a touchdown versus Dawson hitting a 70-75 yard field goal. He was trying to be too cute!

While there is precedent of the 49ers having a long missed FG returned for a TD at the end of the 1st half (2005 vs Bears, Vasher 108-yd), I don't think there was anything wrong with making the attempt. Just prior to that there was a penalty on the 49ers on a KO, so kicking from the 30 Dawson still put the ball about 5 yds deep in the EZ...granted, that was with a tee, but still not unreasonable to try it on a free kick.

Plus I got to look like a genius to my boys, because while Rams still had the ball I was telling them how 49ers should use their timeouts to at least force a punt...possible bad snap, shank...or a fair catch kick. They thought I was crazy that such a thing even existed, then lo and behold, the Niners did just that.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Last night's game...it got me thinking:

Josh Dawson should practice free kicks. There's no reason for these fair catch kicks to be awful like they usually are....no bullrush, no 7 yard snap, no bad holds, nothing. These guys just overthink the kicks it seems.

Also Andy Lee could practice drop kicks. That fair catch kick can be either kicked off like a normal field goal or drop kicked....

The question is, which could travel farther a good field goal try or a drop kick? I'm not so sure.

And if Dawson made that kick last night I would have screamed for minutes on end.

Free kicks are a very rare circumstance to begin with. The ball has to be fair caught within range of making the kick and then must be done on first down. I kid in Florida hit one a few years ago to win a big game and since then most states have brought the rare scoring event back to life by reviewing the rule and making the free kick more popular again. I doubt you see it again this year. Or next for that matter.
He was 29/31 last year. Already missed more this year in 4 games. Hopefully the new stadium is easier to kick in but still no excuse for missing a kick in a dome although was like 53 yards. Being short is one thing, being off that much is another. Might be time for us to use a pick on a kicker this year. We can afford to draft the best one with all our picks just not sure there is an elite guy this year. We like to go with vets though. I'm sure we will spend another year looking for vets. Dawson would probably come back for cheap though if we want him back.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Dawson should practice just making FGs....period.

This.

Am I the only one thats concerns about Dawson missing FGs? He's just lucky those missing FGs didn't come back and bite us in the ass, maybe not just yet...

One was like 53 yards. The other was 71 yards.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This.

Am I the only one thats concerns about Dawson missing FGs? He's just lucky those missing FGs didn't come back and bite us in the ass, maybe not just yet...

Hell I could have made one of those

Yeah, won't knock him for the free kick and 53 is a long ways but have to make that in the dome. It's not like it was short, it was outside by a long shot if I remember right. Last year he was 29/31 and so far is 3/5 (not including the free kick). I was really glad to get him; hopefully he doesn't let us down like Akers last year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM ]

+1

I got flashbacks of David Akers last night.

This.

Im not knocking him for the free kick, the 71 yarder is excusable, but he missed on the Packers game too. This guy was supposed to be money but hes not, so far. Plus lastnights miss was in the dome with absolutely no wind.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Last night's game...it got me thinking:

Josh Dawson should practice free kicks. There's no reason for these fair catch kicks to be awful like they usually are....no bullrush, no 7 yard snap, no bad holds, nothing. These guys just overthink the kicks it seems.

Also Andy Lee could practice drop kicks. That fair catch kick can be either kicked off like a normal field goal or drop kicked....

The question is, which could travel farther a good field goal try or a drop kick? I'm not so sure.

And if Dawson made that kick last night I would have screamed for minutes on end.

you are joshing us, arent you

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Scout Australian kickers

/thread

i know a guy down there that can kick a wombat 75 meters
I thought his name was Dave.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Sep 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone