We all need to relax, this team will make the playoffs but will bot get home field advantage. We played three very tough teams to start the season so 1-2 does not shock me
However, watching the first three games shows me some real issues with the team
1. The offense is out of sync. I was shocked to see Colin play 3 plays in preseason and come out when the likes of Tom Brady and Peyton with their age and shaky lines played half a game. Colin needed the reps and our coaches messed up
2. Offensive line is playing like crap. Our strength is the run and mauling people. If iupati is not used on pulls and power runs, he becomes useless and a liability. Honestly, we dont need to extend him once his contract is up because of #3
3. All our linemen are maulers and good run blockers. Teams are hitting the gap between our linemen and trying to make Colin leave the pocket early. They are keeping a LB to spy on Colin. The best way to punish this is screen passes to RB. However, since Norv Turner left, i have not seen niners get anything out of screen plays. Our offensive line is slow and often fail to set downfield blocks. Usually our screen pass attempts become broken plays where Qb gets sacked or has to throw away incomplete. Kilgore is great at getting to the second level as well as staley, but neither are great at it despite their quickness. Look at broncos and saints utilizing screens not only to gain chunk yards, but to keep the defense from hitting gaps and running straight at Qb without discipline
4. Colin can be a great Qb, but he is still raw upstairs. He is not good at reading defenses or making audibles. Hence so many wasted timeouts. Roman needs to simplify the plays for him .. Meaning one call, line up quick and run it irregardless what the defense is showing. I see lots of confusion after audibles where players dont know what they are supposed to do or where to line up. Besides, when a team breaks the huddle, lines up immediately and runs the play, even if the defense knows whats coming, they havent done their defensive audibles or communication, so we would be at an advantage.
5. Build the confidence of some of our players.. Run quick screens to patton and williams just to give them confidence. If a wideout hasnt been thrown to all game and the first pass coming my way is 20 yard pass on tight coverage, of course every wr will struggle
6. Our defense is giving up a ton of points because our offense can not sustain drives. Incomplete passes is making the defense come right back out. Both sea and indy game the defense was out >35 minutes, 10 more minutes than when we had alex at helm. Alex mainly handed off the ball and allowed frank to milk the clock.
7. Use less pistol, where everyone is packed in. Either go strong I and run like our strength or go spread formation with 4-5 WRs spread out the defense and use Colin's run skills
8. Yes, Colin is our Franchise Qb, but Harbaugh and co really did him a disservice taking out his fire and making him a conscious Qb. I see drew brees getting hit and stretching out for first down, as well as jay cutler and big ben. We told Colin to take care of his body and not get injured, now 3rd and 4 he runs and slides short of first down even when he can stretch get a small hit and get a first down or tries to throw it to avoid running and getting hit. Yes, i agree, protect your QB and don't allow him to take 5-10 hits per game but encourage him to stretch out and occasionally take a hit to get a first down and then slide down instead of trying to get 5 or 6 more meaningless yards.
9. WR?? Use more trips and stack formation. Even philly WR get open