There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thursday Game Plan: 5 Keys to Beating the Rams

A few steroids will fix this. Quick somebody call Seattle.

If the coaching hasn't figured out what they need to do this week I will be really surprised.
  • Veteran
Kaep shouldn't have put on more weight this offseason, nor should he stop practicing his mechanics. He was inaccurate too frequently against the Colts, and you can see why when you watch the way he's throwing now. Off balance, feet spread too far apart, and flat footed - sometimes even fading backwards. Where's our QB whispering coach at?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
3. Tell Kaepernick to keep doing what he's been doing
CK needs to learn to stay in the pocket sometimes. I can't remember the last time I saw him take a hit to make a play or throw. He must hang in the pocket and quickly COMPLETE his progressions. Running laterally not only cuts your options down at WR, it exhausts the OL trying to protect you running all over the place all game.

There were multiple times in the IND game where Kap scrambled for absolutely no reason.

One play in particular (1st quarter), the entire right side of the OL had their blocks pancaked on the ground. The left side had three OL blocking 2 DL. A nice pocket to throw from:

Kap's internal clock tells him to scramble. OL don't have eyes in the back of their heads and now Kap has generated pressure on himself.

One split second later, had he stayed in the pocket, he would have had Vance on a short post. Instead, Kap is scrambling and his body is not in a position to throw. This ends up being a run for -1 yards:

This is one of the most infuriating things we've seen the past two games. Outside of a willful disregard for the outlet passes, CK completely disobeys QB 101 and scrambles away abandoning the pocket made for him with no pressure at all. I felt like numerous throws, even when he spun around and tried to fire a pass, were coming with him throwing either flat-footed, on his toes, or completely off balance. None accurate.

The Colts played one safety deep all game which left one on one coverage to take shots all game and it never happened. One deep safety cannot cover the entire field sideline to sideline, especially not with a rocket-shooter like CK. Even if he doesn't want to loft it, he could look off the safety to one direction and then fire it to the WR deep on the other side. All game, extremely disappointingly, this never happened.
I remember that play. Glad you posted a pic of it. It was maddening to watch.

But it only reinforces the "its up to everyone to improve" mantra. I think they've got to come up with a game plan that makes it easier for CK to find the open receiver and get him the ball. Give the guy some confidence so he doesn't abandon the pass play too early and try to scramble, which is what he did here. This play was CK's fault, but as part of an overall poorly designed game plan, it was Roman's and the rest of the coaching staff's fault as well. IMHO.
Originally posted by thl408:
3. Tell Kaepernick to keep doing what he's been doing
CK needs to learn to stay in the pocket sometimes. I can't remember the last time I saw him take a hit to make a play or throw. He must hang in the pocket and quickly COMPLETE his progressions. Running laterally not only cuts your options down at WR, it exhausts the OL trying to protect you running all over the place all game.

There were multiple times in the IND game where Kap scrambled for absolutely no reason.

One play in particular (1st quarter), the entire right side of the OL had their blocks pancaked on the ground. The left side had three OL blocking 2 DL. A nice pocket to throw from:

Kap's internal clock tells him to scramble. OL don't have eyes in the back of their heads and now Kap has generated pressure on himself.

One split second later, had he stayed in the pocket, he would have had Vance on a short post. Instead, Kap is scrambling and his body is not in a position to throw. This ends up being a run for -1 yards:

Yup, this is the main reason why we lost the last two games. Kaep is too skittish in the pocket and struggles to find the open receiver. If he waited he would have had an easy completion to Vance over the middle, bread and butter play. He routinely does this and it is hurting our team.
[ Edited by Forkenick on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM ]
Cool pictures showing how the play broke down! I hope he stays there long enough to find Vernon. I need yards and TDs please.
Originally posted by Forkenick:
Yup, this is the main reason why we lost the last two games. Kaep is too skittish in the pocket and struggles to find the open receiver. If he waited he would have had an easy completion to Vance over the middle, bread and butter play. He routinely does this and it is hurting our team.

Judging from how the play turned out on the screen caps, had Kaep hit Vance over the middle would it be safe to assume this could have been a TD as they're close to the red zone and Indy was playing with a 1 deep safety or do you guys think we would have been stopped with 1st and 10 in the red zone? I'm not exactly sure about Vance's speed which is why I'm asking.
Originally posted by Chanhopper415:
Originally posted by Forkenick:

Judging from how the play turned out on the screen caps, had Kaep hit Vance over the middle would it be safe to assume this could have been a TD as they're close to the red zone and Indy was playing with a 1 deep safety or do you guys think we would have been stopped with 1st and 10 in the red zone? I'm not exactly sure about Vance's speed which is why I'm asking.

It may depend on how well Kap led Vance with the pass, but the lone saftety was already breaking in. At worst, it's a 1st down at the 10 yard line.

Kap still would have had to drop the pass in over the head of LB #50 (QB spy on this play), but you can see Vance had a lot of daylight in front of him.