LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 125 users in the forums

Thursday Game Plan: 5 Keys to Beating the Rams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Really need Fangio to mix up the looks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We had allowed only 13 points late in the 4th quarter of the Colts game. And only 12 points in the Seattle game until CK folded even further and handed them the ball in our territory multiple times. What do you expect them to do? Our defense is playing their freaking butts off to keep us in games right now, despite being put in horrible position.

Don't get me wrong OTC... You're points are quite valid... im not just talkin about the last two games though... im talking about the last 11 maybe 12 games... Our defense used to be SICK! Run Defense has disappeared... penetration upfront is average at best... I hope that Fangio... figures it out... but the defensive unit is a huge problem...
Spot on OTC and SofaKing. I would add 1 D essential, and 1 O essential.

On D, take the blitz call out of Vic's hands. He doesn't like it , doesn't want it, and has no idea when to use it. Let the HC make blitz calls. Not once this yr have we seen a corner blitz...or any blitz, for that matter, except that fuster cluck blitz on the goal line in SEA, where WR walked into EZ.

On O, insist on 1-3 step drops, because OL cannot block for longer than that. And that means WCO, dinks and dunks on quick hitter slants and outs. Sooner than later the rams will pull their LBs and CBs off the LOS. Also kap is going to have to learn how to play short passing offense. He hasn't got a clue at present. On a slant, he hums in an 86 mph fastball. And if he misses, or the ball bounces 15 feet off the WR or DB, then he gets frustrated, and next time throws harder. Coach H needs to spend serious time with Kap on WCO.....Kap can do it, but coach is so enamored of Kap's Cannon, that he feels he just has to use it. WRONG. Kap needs to learn how to play finesse football, the opposite of the way he has been taught. And those 86 mph passes? Cut those out...completely. Only Anquan seems to be able to snatch those, but no one else can. So stop them for heaven's sakes.

Also, every snap, go to LOS with 5 wide....boldin patton vance celek moore/Baldwin. That will open up passing lanes and allow frank running lanes.

Finally, once the 8 man D line backs off the LOS , Frank can resume his running... Nobody can run successfully against an 8 man line.

What really hurts is this is so simple....but JH cannot or worse, will not see it. Man , I hope it isn't an ego thing.
I know we keep talking about getting the run game going and sticking with it, which I agree with. But sometimes it is proving difficult to run the ball when defenses are stacking the box. It is also proving to be difficult to create a short passing game, because that area of the field becomes clogged. I really believe we HAVE to improve on our downfield passing game. If we can hit a few downfield passes, this will force the opposing defenses to play back, creating more openings for the running game as well as the short and intermediate passing game.
Now that we can't throw the ball everybody is on the run run run run bandwagon. Sorry but we went through years of ZERO passing, and i'm not going to say no to it now that we have a guy that CAN throw and a few good options at WR. I think we should run, but not as insanely as everyone else.

If the pass is there, then take it. If it's there 60 times, throw it 60 times.

I'm more worried about turnovers, and our offense non having that sense of urgency.

Face it, we have a good enough roster to do both run and pass very well. What we don't have is the hunger, the energy, and the killer instinct that great offenses have.
The real 5 Keys to beating the Rams:

1. Pray

2. Pray more

3. Do the exact opposite of the offensive call from the coaches box

4. Shave Kaepernick's beard

5. Tap Harbaugh on the shoulder and kindly remind him that pre-season was over more than three weeks ago
[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Sep 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Awesome post OTC, agreed with everything.

I swear I'm gonna throw my 19 inch TV out the window if they don't make the running game a priority. But as you mention on how the Rams secondary is young and struggling, I fear Roman will once again abandon the run game.

What I'd like to see, is a heavy dose of running, then a lot of play-action to the Tight-ends on short to medium routes. If Kaepernick can relax on trying to go deep every time and run the offense balanced, then I think this offense can get back into their old ways. I think its about getting comfortable again with this offense, cause the past two games they looked really uncomfortable.

I don't believe they have tried to go deep much at all. That is one of our problems. All of our recievers are getting press coverage and no shots are getting took down field. This only makes the secondaries press more and stack the run.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Could you elaborate?

I'm not making that face in regards to what you wrote, what you wrote is fine. I've been preaching the same thing... I'm just worried Roman is going to continue with his stupidness and make it hard for Kap and the offense...

I understand, I was just trying to get a little clarity on your thoughts on the matter.

I agree that Roman constantly scares me. I feel like I'm watching a "Vizzini from The Princess Bride" thought process where he's like: "CLEARLY they can't defend the run. BUT they must know that WE know they can't defend the run so they'll game plan to stop the run so CLEARLY we CANNOT run. BUT, MAYBE knowing that we know they know they can't stop the run, they will suspect we will actually game plan to PASS so CLEARLY we must plan to RUN! However... Maybe they know that we know that they know we know................."

Honestly, they need to just plan to play to our players' strengths FIRST and work on excellent execution of what we want to do. If our guys are prepared to execute, it DOESN'T MATTER what the other team is good or bad at. YES, you want to exploit specific weaknesses, but that often times has to do with specific positions or areas on the teams defense or offense. Your whole team must be prepared to execute all types of plays because it has to be understood that the game doesn't always go as initially planned.
All we have to do.... Hit the running backs coming out of the backfield.

Defenses have our offense figured out, jam our receivers and hope Roman doesnt run the ball which for some reason he pays right into their gameplans.

If a defense wants to press our receivers that is fine, Ive yet to see any LBs actually cover our RB's consistently and allot of the times they want to blitz to make CK scatter and avoid the big play. The offense can do the same thing they are doing but Roman needs to emphasize a RB gameplan to make the defenses pay for manning up in press coverage. Hell they could send all the WRs in fades and hit Gore and Hunter out of the backfield for 1st downs until the defense has to respect that option.

The problem is simple, we are playing right into defenses gameplans and our OC's arent emphasizing dump offs out of the backfield. make CK's second read be the RB and our problem is solved until defenses adjust. Then our WR's will have more room to work.
Tell everyone on the team that they will shave an eyebrow off if they lose.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM ]

1. Have every played punch cortland finnegan in the dick, repeatedly.

2. If this happened I wouldnt care if we lost
Originally posted by xtm059:

This, and have some plays that run into the Rams sideline so a player can use the crown of his helmet into Fishers dick. Fisher is such a douche.

Could you elaborate?

I'm not making that face in regards to what you wrote, what you wrote is fine. I've been preaching the same thing... I'm just worried Roman is going to continue with his stupidness and make it hard for Kap and the offense...

I understand, I was just trying to get a little clarity on your thoughts on the matter.

I agree that Roman constantly scares me. I feel like I'm watching a "Vizzini from The Princess Bride" thought process where he's like: "CLEARLY they can't defend the run. BUT they must know that WE know they can't defend the run so they'll game plan to stop the run so CLEARLY we CANNOT run. BUT, MAYBE knowing that we know they know they can't stop the run, they will suspect we will actually game plan to PASS so CLEARLY we must plan to RUN! However... Maybe they know that we know that they know we know................."

Honestly, they need to just plan to play to our players' strengths FIRST and work on excellent execution of what we want to do. If our guys are prepared to execute, it DOESN'T MATTER what the other team is good or bad at. YES, you want to exploit specific weaknesses, but that often times has to do with specific positions or areas on the teams defense or offense. Your whole team must be prepared to execute all types of plays because it has to be understood that the game doesn't always go as initially planned.

@ The Princess Bride reference. The truth is almost always funny. Saying that somebody "thinks too much" is usually one of the dumbest things a person can say, but in GRO's case, I believe the saying has merit.
Originally posted by au8277:

Could you elaborate?

@ The Princess Bride reference. The truth is almost always funny. Saying that somebody "thinks too much" is usually one of the dumbest things a person can say, but in GRO's case, I believe the saying has merit.

Nail meet head, its a hit!
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by xtm059:

This, and have some plays that run into the Rams sideline so a player can use the crown of his helmet into Fishers dick. Fisher is such a douche.

I know a lot of passionate fans from a quite a few different teams (that aren't SF), and most of them would argue that our coach has used up about all the "douche" in the market. I don't agree, but that's the outside perception. That stated, I bet around 20-25 teams would trade a 1st round draft pick for our coach, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone