LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Outside Linebacker Help What?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We practically gave away potential starters with good motors in Parys Haralson to the New Orleans Saints & Cam Johnson to the Colts. It makes me wonder why we would have just given away talent with high ceilings like these two guys with potential to produce starter type of sacks. We only got 7th round draft picks, and now we are trying out Defensive Ends that are out on the streets. The only think that makes sense is that Balke was doing favors to old friends by giving them pass rushing help when they needed it. Parys Haralson & Cam Johnson would have been perfect back ups in a rotation to provide pass rush. Now we are not even promoting the backups to Smith instead we are starting an Inside linebacker in Dan Skuta instead of having a true pass rusher as a starter. This made me upset then when we just gave away pass rush help, and it make me even more upset now. Disappointing on these moves to shed away pass rushers, and current lack of pass rush depth.
If Cam was on the team he would be behind Skuta and Lemonhead, so he still wouldn't make a difference. Only depth we got rid of was Parys and he was too expensive. Get over it.
Originally posted by Mondini7:
We practically gave away potential starters with good motors in Parys Haralson to the New Orleans Saints & Cam Johnson to the Colts. It makes me wonder why we would have just given away talent with high ceilings like these two guys with potential to produce starter type of sacks. We only got 7th round draft picks, and now we are trying out Defensive Ends that are out on the streets. The only think that makes sense is that Balke was doing favors to old friends by giving them pass rushing help when they needed it. Parys Haralson & Cam Johnson would have been perfect back ups in a rotation to provide pass rush. Now we are not even promoting the backups to Smith instead we are starting an Inside linebacker in Dan Skuta instead of having a true pass rusher as a starter. This made me upset then when we just gave away pass rush help, and it make me even more upset now. Disappointing on these moves to shed away pass rushers, and current lack of pass rush depth.

Oh Jeez....

What rounds were Harlson and Johnson taken in? How many OLBs could the team keep? When you lose a guy you ALWAYS bring in someone else at that position for the practice squad.

RELAX.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
If Cam was on the team he would be behind Skuta and Lemonhead, so he still wouldn't make a difference. Only depth we got rid of was Parys and he was too expensive. Get over it.

This. The future is Lemon
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 9erReign:

This. The future is Lemon
i am thinking we do have to sign someone whether it be a backer or lineman for this thursday? of course i thought that last week and nothing took place of course it would have to be a signing for room and board since we barely have a million dollars in the bank
Really? We have two starting D lineman that are out. Too bad Harbaugh and Baalke can't prognosticate like you.
I hated the Cam Johnson trade from the start. Yes Baalke never could have predicted Aldon would end up in Rehab during the season. But on defense you always want to stockpile pass rushers and corners because it's a passing league.

What makes things worse is Cam Johnson was really growing on Fangio. I'm betting Fangio would love to have Cam Johnson right now as situational pass rusher with Aldon out.
[ Edited by SFrush on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
I was cool with Haralson but not Cam (not happy at all). That said, Fangio doesn't even use Lemonier or Skuta anyhow so what's the point?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Oh Jeez....

What rounds were Harlson and Johnson taken in? How many OLBs could the team keep? When you lose a guy you ALWAYS bring in someone else at that position for the practice squad.

RELAX.
Let's see where our pass rush comes from. Justin Smith, Brooks and ? ...Skuta? Hopefully Skuta can produce a high motor to go all four quarters wearing down a Tackle, or will he be over sized? I just don't see an inside Linebacker providing the arm length & outside pass rush moves to get around a left tackle. Let's see. It seems like a desperation move considering we are about to sign a free agent off the streets in D'Aundre Reed, who only played 6 games last season. Seems Desperate, but hopefully we can still produce. Niners!
Originally posted by SFrush:
I hated the Cam Johnson trade from the start. Yes Baalke never could have predicted Aldon would end up in Rehab during the season. But on defense you always want to stockpile pass rushers and corners because it's a passing league.

What makes things worse is Cam Johnson was really growing on Fangio. I'm betting Fangio would love to have Cam Johnson right now as situational pass rusher with Aldon out.

Not enough roster spaces and cap room to keep everyone you would like, and to provide depth everywhere. Maybe this will help drive the point home to Aldon ... he is affecting many others besides himself. Also, maybe this is the only way Lemonier gets to play ... so perhaps another silver lining if he shines. For the life of me I cannot understand why Lemon and Patton aren't seeing more of the field anyway ... particularly Patton. I thought they both had something special.

I wasn't a fan of the Cam trade, but small potatoes... really.

We have Lemonier, which I have lots of faith in. We may spend more time with 4-3/Nickel looks. Any word on when or if we should expect Tank back? ( I know he's more of a DE candidate, but for a while, I think he can rush the passer outside just fine )
Cam Johnson has played like 7 snaps all season for the Colts, he has a Total of 1 tackle. Let it go, hes gone and not producing anywhere else either.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Cam Johnson has played like 7 snaps all season for the Colts, he has a Total of 1 tackle. Let it go, hes gone and not producing anywhere else either.

You realize he was traded to Colts less than two weeks before the season opener. Of course he's not going to have a big role right off the bat. He's still learning their defense.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke looks like an idiot right now for giving away all our depth at OLB. Also drafting all these players that will probably miss the year looks stupid right now we could used WR and CB depth.
we need VD and play baldwin insted of williams !
Share 49ersWebzone