There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We're giving up an average of 28 points per game over the last 9 games

Do you account for the fact that we've played BETTER TEAMS over the last 9 games?

Good teams score more points than bad teams. We've played what... six playoff teams in a row? Do the math.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, I think that's the more accurate description. Our offense isn't helping the defense by going 3 and out every possession.

This defense is also used to longer sustained drives by the offense, if the offense can't move the ball, this defense is going to start to disintegrate quickly due to the lack of substitution's. The offense has to eat clock for this defense to play at its expected high level, they haven't done that at all thus far this season.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Do you account for the fact that we've played BETTER TEAMS over the last 9 games?

Good teams score more points than bad teams. We've played what... six playoff teams in a row? Do the math.

This too. When you play teams like the Packers, the Falcons, Patriots, Seahawks, Colts, Ravens, they're going to put points up on the board, simple as that, additionally before you had Justin and Aldon injured which was a huge impact on the defense. They've played well so far this season, hopefully the offense can stop s**tting the bed so they can get more time to rest and recover.
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Defense hasn't been the same since we made the QB switch and ran a higher tempo risk-taking offense. I think there is a correlation between the two because the defense is out on the field more so than before.

We need to get that methodical WCO control type offense.

This.
One thing to keep in mind is that in 2011 the defense had many turnovers. That keeps the D off the field. The way the rules are set up the NFL will not have dominant defenses. If defenses are on the field for 3 or 4 more series the scores become inflated. The games against the Seahawks and Colts the D played well enough, however, they caused no turnovers. The offense had too many 3 and outs and there are your 2 losses.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
Last game was 13-7 in the 4th then the ineptitude of our O made the score balloon. Same in Seattle.

That's not to say i'm not worried about our D, but my biggest concerns are injuries and its castration at the hands of the officials.

This. A defense can only hold for so long. When a defense is stopping the offense after a 7 play drive, but our offense gets a quick 3 and out or turnover... that quickly snowballs.
Originally posted by Forkenick:
The offense is the problem. It is giving too many possessions to the opposing team. Our defense can only stop so many drives in a game while the offense flounders.

Well noted. When you have 5-6 consecutive 3 and outs with such a low possession duration, you are going to kill your D.
When the offense is constantly getting 3 and outs, that doesn't help the defense rest. Our defense seems to hold up for about 2-3 quarters but then every great defense will brake down eventually because they get worn down. Doesn't this team right now remind you of earlier years?
There is now doubt the offense was beyond inept the last two games. But the defense has regressed so much. Same coaches but somehow it seems our D is so reactionary instead of attacking. Teams feared the D in 11. We used to not only own the line of scrimmage but also played in the O backfield. Aside from the aggression less approach I think the D line is very weak. I love justin and respect him but each play he smashes straight into a bigger lineman then tries to shed the block at the last second. Problem is the lineman holds him for a split second and the running back is past him. I've seen it happen multiple times. The line and lb have to start mixing it up and shooting gaps once in awhile. Take a chance.

Sorry about the triple post. Internet is messed up.
[ Edited by facestabber on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM ]
There is now doubt the offense was beyond inept the last two games. But the defense has regressed so much. Same coaches but somehow it seems our D is so reactionary instead of attacking. Teams feared the D in 11. We used to not only own the line of scrimmage but also played in the O backfield. Aside from the aggression less approach I think the D line is very weak. I love justin and respect him but each play he smashes straight into a bigger lineman then tries to shed the block at the last second. Problem is the lineman holds him for a split second and the running back is past him. I've seen it happen multiple times. The line and lb have to start mixing it up and shooting gaps once in awhile. Take a chance.
The defense will pick it up once our offense becomes more efficient and stops the 3 and outs and turnovers. Special teams have improved from last season though.
I think we felt exposed in the play-offs, the deep pass killed us. We lost Goldie, and are playing Witner deeper to help the the rookie, and to try and prevent the deep ball, this is opening up the run game, and short passing for opponents, and we seem to have forgotten how to tackle.
The offense, is giving the opponents too many chances, we need better ball control.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Sep 24, 2013 at 6:28 AM ]
The problems of the defense this year are not the same as the end of last year when it really had trouble stopping people after halftime in the Patriots game.

This year we faced a high scoring team in Week 1; yes, there were some missed tackles in the secondary, but GB will score against anyone. Pass-rush was good, if inconsistent, and run D was sturdy. It forced two important turnovers, although we wasted one of them.

On Week 2 the D played well, got consistent pressure on Wilson and shut down their passing game for most of the game. It again forced turnovers (including a 4th down stand) and got its sacks. It was finally gassed in the second half, and could not get off the field on 3rd down due to penalties. There was also a noticeable drop-off, very visible from the stands, when Reid got injured.

This week the D was merely decent: it could not get consistent pass-rush (perhaps due to the Smith thing, I don't know), but covered well most of the time. Even so, it kept us in the game until late, but some ATROCIOUS officiating victimised it in crucial situations. The holding on Rogers on 3rd down was BS, and the helmet-to-helmet call that didn't involve helmets was a disgrace. I don't like to complain about refereeing (I still think we should not complain about the SB non-PI call, since we got IN the SB after a blatant PI wasn't called on Bowman on 4th down in Atlanta), but the current NFL attitude to flag everything and anything victimises physical defenses like ours. I am particularly disgusted with every pass defensed being called for PI these days - it ruins the game for me. Anyway, I'm not saying we would have won on Sunday, since the Offense was absolutely terrible, but the D could and should have got off the field in the 4th with the game at 13-7. Don't forget as well that Willis got injured in this game.

Overall, I think we look like the 2011 team right now (super hard D, questionable O), only with more injuries and a tougher schedule. Losing to the Colts at home was awful, and losing to Seattle was certainly annoying, but we did play three playoff teams in a row. In 2011 we won vs a rebuilding Seattle on the back of two kick return TDs, lost pathetically to a poor Cowboys team at home, then ground out two (unwatchable for the neutral) away victories at bad teams (as the Eagles turned out to be). The great, well-played, regular season victories (DET, NYG, TB, PIT) came afterwards.

More importantly, I think we got a bit fooled by a few games last season that we finally acquired an explosive offense. But if you think about it, in the Kaepernick era we were powerful on O only in the Chicago and NE games, and then in the playoffs; we were very inconsistent in the Miami, Arizona, and 1.5 St Louis games he played, and even the NO one turned on the two pick-sixes. We really only got two nice drives in that game. I still think that as Kaep gets more experience, and if we shake this injury bug only a little bit, we should be fine. I'd much rather be getting healthy at the business end of the season, like the last three SB champions were. But we have to be careful to MAKE the playoffs first. If we do, I'm still optimistic.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We were top 10 in run defense and that has disappeared these last 3 games. We're not as stout as we were with Soap and RJF. We have to get better or it's going to be a long season for the defense getting off the field.