There are 287 users in the forums

Personal Foul Penalties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have had our fair share this year.

In general, 15 yards for a personal foul is ridiculous.

Whitner got hit with one yesterday (and we know it was clean) and it cost us 15 yards.

Aldon got one for a shove in Seattle. It was a penalty, albeit a retaliation penalty, but 15 yards for that?

Most personal foul calls are now called due to the new s**t rules implemented. Like brushing the QBs head when he ducks. Free 15 yards.

It angers me that the NFL obviously doesn't care what we think cause in the end we will still watch. Watch Whitner still get fined for his clean hit yesterday.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we are one of the most penalized teams in the nfl,. you can quibble with some of them if you wish, but the fact remains, we lack discipline . i thought that s**t would not be an issue once we got rid of goldson
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I feel those first 2 penalties to start the game killed us. Or D was coming out to set a tone and be physical and they called a BS penalty on Whitner. Our D never looked right since. That hit he had against Pierre Thomas in 2011 would be flagged now. It sucks. Our D has pretty much been castrated.
im having bad dreams where it rains flags
Originally posted by cciowa:
we are one of the most penalized teams in the nfl,. you can quibble with some of them if you wish, but the fact remains, we lack discipline . i thought that s**t would not be an issue once we got rid of goldson

The point of the thread wasn't to dispute that we are penalized the most or blame refs. It was that 15 yards for a personal foul is ridiculous. Especially when a majority of them are just refs airing on the side of caution.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we are quickly becoming the raiders, only less talented.
This really doesn't have anything to do with this particular thread but I thought it was an interesting point. I just heard a soundbite of Steve Young talking after the game last night between Denver and Oakland discussing this with Ray Lewis on board. they were basically talking about how it's not even really a fair fight when you have a quarterback like Peyton Manning because he's so adept at reading defenses and being able to quickly audible out of the play or even do fake audibles to try to throw off the defense or whatever the case may be.
It then becomes nearly impossible for the pass defense to try and cover what it is that a Peyton Manning will do because the rule changes that have limited how physical a defense can play at the LOS have made it so. Even if a defense is able to beat Peyton Manning with a disguised coverage on a certain down he still gets bailed out by the rule changes that now so lopsidedly favor the offense. Then Steve and Ray recalled the days when the patriots would routinely beat the Colts in the playoffs and how the Colts defenders were able to play much more physically in the passing game because of the way the rules were at the time. This allowed them to sort of slow down what the offense was trying to do and their passing game because they were allowed to play much more physically on the LOS and defending the routes that the receivers would run, etc. plus they could make hard bone jarring hits legally. But now because defensive players are almost rendered useless to even tackle the ball carrier now you have penalties like what Dante Whitner got for making a perfectly legal hit.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
What annoys me is when a last millisecond duck by the ball carrier causes a helmet to helmet contact and the defender gets flagged for it even though it isn't his fault. Those need to be reviewed, plain and simple.
The day they make the players wear flags, i will refuse to watch football!
That hiy by whitner was perfect technique, text book! And a one helluva nice play!
And steve young is still boss!!
Rams here we come!!
Goniners
Originally posted by frankie:
That hiy by whitner was perfect technique, text book! And a one helluva nice play!
Rams here we come!!
Goniners

Do you know what will be even worse? The NFL will still fine Whitner just to back up their refs.

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Rams here we come!!
Goniners

Do you know what will be even worse? The NFL will still fine Whitner just to back up their refs.

didnt nfl say refs made a mistake??
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Rams here we come!!
Goniners

didnt nfl say refs made a mistake??

Yeah they said the call was incorrect and they won't fine him. I'm waiting for that new BS rule about the running back lowering his head to be called where is that call? lol. I saw alot of that on Sunday in some of the other games as well.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
This really doesn't have anything to do with this particular thread but I thought it was an interesting point. I just heard a soundbite of Steve Young talking after the game last night between Denver and Oakland discussing this with Ray Lewis on board. they were basically talking about how it's not even really a fair fight when you have a quarterback like Peyton Manning because he's so adept at reading defenses and being able to quickly audible out of the play or even do fake audibles to try to throw off the defense or whatever the case may be.
It then becomes nearly impossible for the pass defense to try and cover what it is that a Peyton Manning will do because the rule changes that have limited how physical a defense can play at the LOS have made it so. Even if a defense is able to beat Peyton Manning with a disguised coverage on a certain down he still gets bailed out by the rule changes that now so lopsidedly favor the offense. Then Steve and Ray recalled the days when the patriots would routinely beat the Colts in the playoffs and how the Colts defenders were able to play much more physically in the passing game because of the way the rules were at the time. This allowed them to sort of slow down what the offense was trying to do and their passing game because they were allowed to play much more physically on the LOS and defending the routes that the receivers would run, etc. plus they could make hard bone jarring hits legally. But now because defensive players are almost rendered useless to even tackle the ball carrier now you have penalties like what Dante Whitner got for making a perfectly legal hit.

Pardon me a correction, I meant Patriot defenders not Colts.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we are quickly becoming the raiders, only less talented.

Sad to say, you're not far from the truth in regards to the penalties, at least.

Sometimes, referees give the shadow of a doubt to upper-tier teams. Not us, though; not this year.
These calls are so arbitrary, they go unnoticed one week, called the next. Phil Simms made a good observation on the opening hit by Whitner, the play happens so fast it's tough to make the right call. The one call that drives me nuts is the player running out of bounds on kickoffs and punts, plus it's 15 yards. Some VIP must have knocked down on the sidelines and Good-Dell has to act on behalf of the integrity of the League.
Share 49ersWebzone