There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Solutions Thread

Cam Inman ‏@CamInman19m
WR Jon Baldwin wearing a scout-team jersey, so maybe #49ers aren't ready to have him debut in favor of Moore or Patton
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Solutions,

Defense:
Aldon, out in rehab... Lemon-yay!
Willis, out with injury, sign Larry Grant.
Put 8 in the box against strong running teams
Give up less short passing, by dropping one safety shallower (corner had better start to cover we are trying to help/hide them with deep safety help)
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle!

Offense:
Davis out injured, have a big mac attack!
Gore between the tackles (Iso, counter, belly), and off tackle only, 15-20 carries (Power runs)
Hunter on the toss, and in the screen, lots of zone blocking
More bunch concept plays to helps beat the press coverage
Full backs and Tight ends, running more wheel and crossing routes, to give Kaep a safe check down
Simplify play calling, take less deep shots.
Sign Hawkins for kick returns
Patton on the slant, and comebacks, Williams...gone

Fans:
Relax
Understand just because you are the favorite to win the super bowl in the preseason, doesn't mean you will, a winning season is good, a play off appearance is great.
Relax
Understand there are growing pains, when replacing players, Goldie, Alex, Iceman, Franklin, and Walker were important pieces.
Relax
Support the team, cheer, have fun, but remember, it's a game.
Relax.

Really like your note to the Fans...Couldn't have said it better. It's a game, not life and death. Like life there are ups and downs. The key is to learn to be ok with both and even see the gift of the downs. This could help us develop new players, identify and strengthen our weakness and mature our coaching staff especially Harbaugh. He has always had easy success. I don't think that is going to be the case this year. He's going to have to learn to settle down, not over-react and coach like his brother.

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Solutions,

Defense:
Give up less short passing, by dropping one safety shallower (corner had better start to cover we are trying to help/hide them with deep safety help)
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle!

Offense:
Gore between the tackles (Iso, counter, belly), and off tackle only, 15-20 carries (Power runs)
Full backs and Tight ends, running more wheel and crossing routes, to give Kaep a safe check down

Fans:
Relax
Understand just because you are the favorite to win the super bowl in the preseason, doesn't mean you will, a winning season is good, a play off appearance is great.
Relax
Understand there are growing pains, when replacing players, Goldie, Alex, Iceman, Franklin, and Walker were important pieces.
Relax
Relax.

wouldnt larry grant have to serve a 4 game suspension if signed?

yes

So, sure, but still the rest makes a little sense...right?
Originally posted by niners9ers:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman19m
WR Jon Baldwin wearing a scout-team jersey, so maybe #49ers aren't ready to have him debut in favor of Moore or Patton

Awesome...so Trent Richardson can show up 15 minutes before kickoff and have a number of running and passing plays designed for him as well as some pass protection sets; and he kicks our ass and gets a TD with his first carry. Yet, we can't get Baldwin, Harper or even Owen on the field at all through 4 weeks?
Baldwin is not the answer anyways. We are in desperate need of a WR who can gain seperation and catch the ball. Baldwin does neither well. Patton and Moore should get a shot before Baldwin. Sit KW.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM ]
the only solution is to lower your expectations of this team and see what happens. clealry not as good of a team all around as we thought.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman19m

Awesome...so Trent Richardson can show up 15 minutes before kickoff and have a number of running and passing plays designed for him as well as some pass protection sets; and he kicks our ass and gets a TD with his first carry. Yet, we can't get Baldwin, Harper or even Owen on the field at all through 4 weeks?

Well, runningback is a position that is relatively easier to learn. Minus the pass-protection sets and fly-audibles, running with the ball in your hand will always be running with the ball in your hand.

I get what you're saying though. Select plays for our receivers wouldn't hurt. Sigh...
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Well, runningback is a position that is relatively easier to learn. Minus the pass-protection sets and fly-audibles, running with the ball in your hand will always be running with the ball in your hand.

I get what you're saying though. Select plays for our receivers wouldn't hurt. Sigh...

Agreed, that is what I was getting at b/c we run a college offense...players come in on packages. It's not like we run a WCO here where the X and Z receivers never come off the field.
Solutions,

Defense:
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle!

Offense:

Fans:
Relax
Relax
Relax
Relax.

Really like your note to the Fans...Couldn't have said it better. It's a game, not life and death. Like life there are ups and downs. The key is to learn to be ok with both and even see the gift of the downs. This could help us develop new players, identify and strengthen our weakness and mature our coaching staff especially Harbaugh. He has always had easy success. I don't think that is going to be the case this year. He's going to have to learn to settle down, not over-react and coach like his brother.

Solutions,

Defense:
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle!

Offense:

Fans:
Relax
Relax
Relax
Relax.

yes

I really think if we do just two things it will fix half the defense and team problems. Gore and hunter need the ball 20- 25 times a game period. And Kap for f**k sake just check the ball sometimes and take easy yards nothing wrong with that. Manning shredded the raiders secondary who is decent with short passes and easy completions. It will open up big plays eventually and keep our d rested on the sideline. SIMPLE.
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman19m

I agree. You see this with rookie QBs all the time where coordinators have them run plays they are comfortable with. Certainly they should be able to do this with a receiver where there are 3 or so plays that he is comfortable running. Baldwin has been here for a month now. I hope they aren't making the same mistake in his development that they made with AJ Jenkins. Let the man play.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Solutions,

Defense:
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle!

Offense:

Fans:
Relax
Relax
Relax
Relax.

Solutions,

Defense:
Tackle, Tackle, Tackle!

Offense:

Fans:
Relax
Relax
Relax
Relax.

yes

I really think if we do just two things it will fix half the defense and team problems. Gore and hunter need the ball 20- 25 times a game period. And Kap for f**k sake just check the ball sometimes and take easy yards nothing wrong with that. Manning shredded the raiders secondary who is decent with short passes and easy completions. It will open up big plays eventually and keep our d rested on the sideline. SIMPLE.

Your right, a good dedicated running game, and some dink and dunk would help both the offense, AND the defense. Any NFL offense will eventually score against any NFL defense, some will score every 10 plays, other might only score every 100 plays, but sooner or later they will score, limit their plays, limit their score...simple math.
Solution 1: Win
Solution 2: Win again
Solution 3: Win some more
Solution 4: Just Win
Solution 5: Repeat solutions 1 through 4
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Solution 1: Win
Solution 2: Win again
Solution 3: Win some more
Solution 4: Just Win
Solution 5: Repeat solutions 1 through 4

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman19m

I agree. You see this with rookie QBs all the time where coordinators have them run plays they are comfortable with. Certainly they should be able to do this with a receiver where there are 3 or so plays that he is comfortable running. Baldwin has been here for a month now. I hope they aren't making the same mistake in his development that they made with AJ Jenkins. Let the man play.

Our wide receiver development is definitely a glaring weakness.
Originally posted by thl408:
Speaking of WCO concepts, I'd like Roman to adopt some of what Andy Reid is doing regarding HiLo route concepts. It beats man coverage using crossing routes at multiple depths and it favors Kap's strength, which is the cannon arm.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-Eagles-HiLo-concepts.html

"It can cause natural pick situations and it allows the QB to throw to a receiver with the defender now in a trail position."

A defender simply has no time to make a play on a pass that is between the numbers (short distance) and rifled in. I know I suggested in an earlier post to have the WRs be decoys in a some what tongue in cheek suggestion, but seriously, this HiLo idea can beat tight man coverage.

Nice find/post. I remember, about a year ago, I researched the WCO principles deeply; watched all the Bill Walsh instructional videos on youtube and posted the notes here for NT. I then started watching our ACTUAL offense very closely and ultimately came to the conclusion we run, what I still call, an anti-WCO.

And now that teams have combated this anti-WCO, we are seeing the huge effects on Kaepernick. He is just lost, lost his confidence, is scrambling for his life, has happy feet, in hearing footsteps, is trying too hard, his mechanics are REALLY off, accuracy is horrendous rght now, he seems confused, isn't trusting himself or his receivers or defensive alignments, has no real built-in outlets to revert too, has lost his "swag," etc.

Jim Harbaugh is supposed to be a QB guru and if he doesn't install a real Stanford offense that just got run on us all day by Indy or a true WCO with built-in outlets, we are going to see even more regression and at this point, we don't know if he has the character or mental make-up Alex had to overcome similar issues here. CK is very young. He's been working out since a week after the Superbowl and right now, seems to be in a sophmore slump and this play calling, game planning and horrendous personnel packages and lack of in-game adjustments aren't helping his confidence at all.

Tomorrow night could very well be a witness to him falling off the cliff or slowly pulling himself back up again and standing tall.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM ]
NCommand: You are one of my favorite posters. You express yourself well and you aren't prone to hyperbole. So many fans, here and everywhere, take the good times as a sign of dynastic certitude and the bad times as apocalyptic foreboding. Both viewpoints are myopic at best. The last two weeks have been awful, but I'm not that concerned. We certainly have plenty to be concerned about, but I am taking solace in a few ideas: 1. We are still talent, and with talent comes hope. 2. Adversity makes victory much sweeter. 3. We are not the Browns or the Jaguars.

With that in mind, I will give this a shot. I love the idea of this thread:

Issue: Kaepernick's accuracy/confidence

Solution: Screens, Bubble screens, Comeback routes, etc. (Short, easy passes)

Rationale: Ever since the weather in Seattle subsided, Kaepernick has looked like a QB with little touch and even less confidence. He looks uncomfortable in the pocket and every throw he makes looks like he is trying to break someone's finger. These are all signs that he needs a game plan designed to establish a rhythm. Not only that, but St. Louis' defensive weakness is the speed of their linebackers and the current offensive personnel is best suited for short passes with room to run. Let's go back to basics and have Kaep throwing TO receivers rather than trying to throw them open. I am of the opinion that Kaep needs to work on his touch passes. I love that he has a downfield mentality, but he needs to use every throw to be effective.

Issue: Defensive penalties and injuries

Solution: Simplify defensive assignments

Rationale: With Willis out, Aldon in rehab, Nnamdi hurt, and a defensive line rotation, we are going to see plenty of new faces on defense. Luckily, the team we are facing has a pretty "old-fashioned" offense. They are going to look to get Austin into space and Givens deep. They have big play potential, but they certainly aren't Green Bay. The key will be basic assignment football. Put Wilhoite, Brock, Skuta, Lemonier, and the other relatively new faces in a position to be successful and supported. Plenty of zone coverage, one gap assignments, and simple blitz packages. I want Lemonier to have a chance to beat his man one on one without worrying about three other reads.