There are 177 users in the forums

The Solutions Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"Kap needs to learn how to play against man defense"

Most comedic thing I've read all day.
Saw this on twitter and thought it would fit nicely in this thread for those who have a sense of humor...

Originally posted by defenderDX:
"Kap needs to learn how to play against man defense"

Most comedic thing I've read all day.

totally idiotic.

call something other than 2wr drag routes and maybe someone other than bruce miller will be open
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Offensive struggles > Transition back to Harbaugh's Stanford offense > Start by moving away from the pistol read-option. Go back to the power run game that also creatively used traps and pulls. Scrap slow developing run plays. Utilize the RBs more in the passing game, primarily on checkdowns for Kap in the middle of the field. Call more 3-step drops and quick slants on 1st down.

Just a few of the ideas floating around in my head.

There we go. What personnel would you use?

Mostly 2 WR/ 2 TE, or 2 WR/TE/FB. WR is not a strength on the team, so I don't want to put more of them on the field. Although, I would like to see a few more 3 WR sets with Boldin in the slot, Patton and Moore on the outside. We can still run power from 3 WR sets, like SEA did against us.

But for the most part, I want to duplicate what we were doing in 2011 and most of 2012. The personnel groupings in terms of positions are not terribly different then they were before, but I think teams are no longer paralyzed by the play fakes from the pistol read-option. The result is all the massive running and passing lanes we saw in the playoffs have vanished. I think we can line up and run more effectively DOWNHILL. Hit them with play-action. More Kap under center. I think he can do it.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
OK, this is off to a stellar start. LOL

You made a valiant effort.

I think your suggestion is valid. I am not sure it will happen exactly as you say, but it could.

1. Problem--wide receiver

Solution bring back Austin Collie. ( 2nd option would be Hawkins.)

Rationale--Collie knows the play book, and he is experienced.

Consequence--somebody would have to be cut. I would cut Osgood. I Marecic could take his place on special teams.

2. Problem wide receiver

Solution--Activate John Baldwin

Rationale--big body with some experience

Consequence--if he is not ready, activating him could hurt his development.

[ Edited by buck on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Let's play like this again

When we had a legit, well oiled machine of an offense that got the job DONE!

Now we've abandoned it to become a predictable, gimmick offense that the entire league has figured out and knows how to dismantle
Let Colin run a Pro style offense. man up and let the players decide what kind of season they want. Do they want it bad enough? Because it looks like they didn't want it bad enough on Sunday.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I don't have much problems with your assessments/ideas, however, all of that would acquire our coaches Harbonehead/RoBlow/Fangina to remove their heads out of their butts, which takes more effort/pride swallowing than you may think for that bunch!

C'mon Greg Roman, I know you have this play ready for the Rams game just in case the 49ers offense goes 3 and out again..
[ Edited by cris_sonic on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]
Go back to the winning Formula.

Run the ball. AND TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE GIVES YOU!!! EVEN IF ITS A 4/5 YARD CHECK DOWN!!!!

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Kape needs more 3 to 5 step drops and release the ball to the worst collection of wrs in the NFL. People cant you guys get it? Our wrs aren't getting separation so teams are squatting on routes playing man and bringing an crashing their safeties up toward the run so there's no lanes to run in and NO OPEN WRS to throw too.

scheme to get the receivers more separation...crossing patterns, rub and picks, misdirection, back shoulder throws, fade routes to the taller receiver putting the ball up high for the receiver to go up for like a jump ball
Originally posted by buck:
OK, this is off to a stellar start. LOL

You made a valiant effort.

I think your suggestion is valid. I am not sure it will happen exactly as you say, but it could.

1. Problem--wide receiver

Solution bring back Austin Collie. ( 2nd option would be Hawkins.)

Rationale--Collie knows the play book, and he is experienced.

Consequence--somebody would have to be cut. I would cut Osgood. I Marecic could take his place on special teams.

2. Problem wide receiver

Solution--Activate John Baldwin

Rationale--big body with some experience

Consequence--if he is not ready, activating him could hurt his development.

ill take hawkins over collie. we need speed and aggressiveness out there. hawkins is a vet with experience as well and definitely activate baldwin. he cant be worse than kyle or moore
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
ill take hawkins over collie. we need speed and aggressiveness out there. hawkins is a vet with experience as well and definitely activate baldwin. he cant be worse than kyle or moore

Who hasn't done a damn thing in his entire NFL career up to now.

Lavelle Hawkins-since 2008-71 catches, 771 yards, 1 touchdown, 10.9 yards avg. So awesome that the Patriots who are desperate for WR's, cut him and haven't shown any interest in bringing him back. Its like Brandon Jones all over again.

He's been a garbage player, he'll never be anything but a garbage player, simple as that. He can light it up in the preseason, like so many others, but you put him on this roster and now you've added Kyle Williams Part 2, but dumber and with a bigger mouth.

People really need to stop letting preseason performances against guys who aren't even in the NFL anymore cloud their judgment.

I'd take Collie over Hawkins in a heartbeat, is this a serious comparison? Collie has almost 3 times as many receiving yards, actual playoff and Superbowl experience and knows how to use his quickness to get separation. I'd be all in for them bringing him back and dumping Osgood. The only issue with Collie has been his health, not his performance on the field, during the 2010 season, for awhile he was leading the entire NFL in receptions, yards and touchdowns. He would be a very useful addition if Roman actually starts to incorporate more screens, slants and other shorter patterns into his playcalling.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM ]
  • thl408
Issue: WRs aren't getting open downfield. Kap likes to look downfield.

Solution: Have the WRs run fly/post patterns all game. There are like 6 of them on the active roster so it's okay if they get tired. These WRs are pure decoys to open up the flats. Have TEs and RBs run into the cleared out area. There is always a LB spy which means one less in coverage so one side of the field should be open enough to complete a 6-8 yard pass with potential for some YAC. Kap can look off the safety and go back underneath. LMJ can help here. The offense needs some speed with VD out. Using a 2TE set can improve pass protection a bit and once the short area is cleared, the TEs can release into their pattern.

How feasible: Should be feasible. The OL has done fine in pass protection which allows the WRs to run those 9 routes all day. It will be a challenge versus the Rams DL, but it stands a better chance than looking downfield to covered WRs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Who hasn't done a damn thing in his entire NFL career up to now.

Lavelle Hawkins-since 2008-71 catches, 771 yards, 1 touchdown, 10.9 yards avg. So awesome that the Patriots who are desperate for WR's, cut him and haven't shown any interest in bringing him back. Its like Brandon Jones all over again.

He's been a garbage player, he'll never be anything but a garbage player, simple as that. He can light it up in the preseason, like so many others, but you put him on this roster and now you've added Kyle Williams Part 2, but dumber and with a bigger mouth.

People really need to stop letting preseason performances against guys who aren't even in the NFL anymore cloud their judgment.

I'd take Collie over Hawkins in a heartbeat, is this a serious comparison? Collie has almost 3 times as many receiving yards, actual playoff and Superbowl experience and knows how to use his quickness to get separation. I'd be all in for them bringing him back and dumping Osgood. The only issue with Collie has been his health, not his performance on the field, during the 2010 season, for awhile he was leading the entire NFL in receptions, yards and touchdowns. He would be a very useful addition if Roman actually starts to incorporate more screens, slants and other shorter patterns into his playcalling.

and hes one hit away from being a potato
Share 49ersWebzone