There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Inconvenient Truth — We are terrible in most phases of the game

I think this defense misses the Iceman and Goldie more than we thought we would. As for the offense, we have a young QB, one Old WR and a great stable of Running backs, oh and an Oline that excels at power run blocking, so we drop back and send everyone deep?....even the tights ends, and backs?....really what Man-genius thought of this?

By the way, is Hawkins still available, he looked to be a good kick returner.
Lol
Senores, I am so afraid that the sky...she has fallen. All is lost, let's really suck for the draft and fill our considerable holes!u
Our Wrs cannot beat jams and get open. there is literally SCRUBS playing WR outside of Quan, who is a #2 himself. I knew the blown AJJ pick was gonna bite us in the REAR. Now we are so predictable on offense its not even funny.
I guess having to play your first 3 games vs playoff teams didnt have anything to do with it?
  • JP49
  • Veteran
Week one we were the best team in the NFL

Two weeks later the feeling is that we have to compete with the Browns and Jags for the first overall pick?

C'mon people!

GO NINERS!!!!!
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by ECLaloosh:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
99% of those problems can be fixed by checking the ball down to the 5 yard routes... Move the ball, eat the clock, keep opposing offense off the field, wear down their defense, rest our defense...

Kind of like the Chiefs.

Kind of like the 2011 49ers...

So you guys want the 2011 49ers offense back... then we can make more threads about how our QB never takes shots downfield and our offense is what is going to hold back our team from making a Super Bowl run? Then we'll have "Is Kaepernick holding our team back?" and "Lol Captain Checkdown strikes again" discussions. Wonderful

If our guys can't get open on middle to deep routes, why not see what they can do with short passes and YAC? Better than going 3 and out eleventy billion times a game.
Why so much hate for Gore he is our best player on offense since 2006 and everyone hates him. Gore was lighting the colts up if u watched the game. Coaches are the problem plain and simple starts with them. Fix the coaching and you fix half the problems
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think this defense misses the Iceman and Goldie more than we thought we would. As for the offense, we have a young QB, one Old WR and a great stable of Running backs, oh and an Oline that excels at power run blocking, so we drop back and send everyone deep?....even the tights ends, and backs?....really what Man-genius thought of this?

we wanna make kap into something he is not. He is not a luck or manning who can slice up the defenses. Use our great line and runners to win and help him
It is all Eric Mangini's fault.
Originally posted by KeenaTurner:
Let's be honest...we have major problems in every phase of the game, and most of it should have been avoided.

DEFENSE:

• Our secondary is terrible. Not just bad, terrible. They were getting TORCHED last year, and we made it to the Superbowl despite giving up massive points, because our new offense caught a lot of teams off-guard and scored enough to overcome our awful defense. Improving the secondary should have been job #1. All we did is get Reid (good start), a discarded Nnamde Ahhellnah, and Craig Dahl. That will NOT get it done. We're left with a bunch of JV scrubs who are totally unable to cover anyone one on one. Opposing teams have wide receivers open all over the field.

• Our linebackers are majorly overrated. They became "pro-bowlers" when our defensive line was playing outstanding, allowing our linebackers to fly around and make big plays. Now that our defensive line is not what it used to be, our linebackers are being exposed, big time. Patrick Willis can't even shed blocks from little running backs. There's no fierceness, no urgency. These guys were never in the same class as Pro-Bowlers like Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews, James Harrison, etc. That's become abundantly clear now.

• Our defensive line is just not what it used to be. Tough time stopping the run. Tough time getting pressure on the corner back. Tough times period.

• Our schemes are often terrible. We telegraph 2-deep zones at the wrong times, never blitz when we should, just awful stuff.

OFFENSE:

• We have a bunch of receivers who should not be in the NFL. Kyle Williams can hardly catch, inexplicably falls down when he does, and is a train wreck receiving kicks. Marlon Moore is Marlon Less. Nobody is sweating Jon Baldwin, Chris Harper and Quinton Patton. This is another area — like the secondary — that should have been taken seriously in the offseason. Signing Boldin was a good start, even though he has been unable to get open the last two games. The return of Vernon Davis and Crabtree will help, but it might be too late. Who is our slot receiver? Who is our deep threat?

• The running game has run into a wall. Gore is great running through traffic, but even he can't run through a wall of unblocked lineman and linebackers. LameMichael James was great in college, but he is not a Pro running back. He runs in circles not forward. Not sure why he is not utilized as a kick returner and situational back who catches out of the backfield where he can operate in the open, like Sproles.

• The play calling and approach on offense is really suspect.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

• Terrible. Maybe the worst in the NFL with punt and kick-off return. Their performance in the Colts game was an embarrassment .

PSYCHE:

• This team believed all the hype about itself. They go into Seattle dismissing the opponent the "Shehawks", and summarily get their tails kicked. They needed the Seahawks asswhooping as a wake-up call, and the Colts drubbing as proof that the Seahawks game was no fluke. We'll now see if this team has the heart and will of a champion. I don't think they do, but I will be glad to surprised. Right now, I see no fire and no pride. It's too bad that guys like Frank Gore and Justin Smith have to play with teammates that fold like lawn chairs. They deserve better, and so do the fans.

You have to keep in mind we have had some pretty devastating injuries to almost every position group that we are now having trouble at. Culliver for the defensive backfield, Williams for our defensive line. Now Willis is hurt and Aldon Smith is in rehab. If Crabtree wouldn't have blown out his achilles our WR's would be among the best in the league. Couple that with a horrendous game plan that completely goes away from our power run and this is what you get. There is a reason that teams who get to the Super Bowl have a hard time making it back. Our guys played for an extra month last season and the wear and tear has caught up. Not to say we can't bounce back and at the very least get a wild card but with the injuries we have had I think its unrealistic to expect us to be as good as we were last year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

not sure if we miss any x niners, but as a team, from coaches to players, we just look lost out there. not good. no identity. not good x 2. maybe with james back that would solve our kick return issues which is did not think would be issues but hunter proved me wrong there sunday. of course do any of us trust roman to actually know how to use james when he comes back?
Originally posted by Ether:
So you guys want the 2011 49ers offense back... then we can make more threads about how our QB never takes shots downfield and our offense is what is going to hold back our team from making a Super Bowl run? Then we'll have "Is Kaepernick holding our team back?" and "Lol Captain Checkdown strikes again" discussions. Wonderful

Aside from one INT towards VD last game, name one other time we've "taken shots down field." WE DON'T THROW DOWN FIELD PEOPLE!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
The sky is falling right now.. Seriously.. But have you guys noticed that Ted Ginn has actually been catching deep bombs lately and is finally turning into a decent deep threat?? Totally off the subject sorry guys, but I don't know why it just pisses me off that he is doing good with Carolina. I wish we would have at least kept him solely on his returning skills

Well, we only threw to him 1 time deep in his career here...he caught a TD called back in the Ravens game. Then we never tried again. Sound familiar?
There are alot of great posts here.

My takes:

Our NT play has been horrible. Williams and Dorsey are not getting it done. If you cant keep the interior lineman off our LBs, were gonna give up 150+yds EVERY game. The OP assertion that our LBs are overrated is because of this. McDonald and Cowboy are still excellent. Our defense has always been, shut down the run completely, force offense to obvious passing situations, and then pin your ears back. Because we cant stop the run, were just getting bamboozled with great playcalling and other teams just mixing it up.

On offense, Im pretty sure Jimmy Raye is somewhere in the building. Ironically, I would welcome the power run calls that he called. Its clear that we need to be smashing other teams in the face and play to the one advantage we have. It might not be glamourous, but at the end of games, we should be gashing them for big yardage. Davis, Boone, and Iupati are ELITE run blockers and big bodies. They will wear opponents down. Our WRs cannot get seperation. We are going to have to continue to design and run plays that allow them some space ala bunch formations and motion. Lastly, you have to throw deep. I dont care if Kaep goes 0-6 on deep balls. If you dont push them back, they will just sit in the WRs pocket all game. IND and SEA are recognizing this and playing so tight, that for the first 15 yards, NO ONE is open. For the record, Kaep had the highest completion % on passes over 20yds last year.

Run the ball, stop the run