Let's be honest...we have major problems in every phase of the game, and most of it should have been avoided.
• Our secondary is terrible. Not just bad, terrible. They were getting TORCHED last year, and we made it to the Superbowl despite giving up massive points, because our new offense caught a lot of teams off-guard and scored enough to overcome our awful defense. Improving the secondary should have been job #1. All we did is get Reid (good start), a discarded Nnamde Ahhellnah, and Craig Dahl. That will NOT get it done. We're left with a bunch of JV scrubs who are totally unable to cover anyone one on one. Opposing teams have wide receivers open all over the field.
• Our linebackers are majorly overrated. They became "pro-bowlers" when our defensive line was playing outstanding, allowing our linebackers to fly around and make big plays. Now that our defensive line is not what it used to be, our linebackers are being exposed, big time. Patrick Willis can't even shed blocks from little running backs. There's no fierceness, no urgency. These guys were never in the same class as Pro-Bowlers like Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews, James Harrison, etc. That's become abundantly clear now.
• Our defensive line is just not what it used to be. Tough time stopping the run. Tough time getting pressure on the corner back. Tough times period.
• Our schemes are often terrible. We telegraph 2-deep zones at the wrong times, never blitz when we should, just awful stuff.
• We have a bunch of receivers who should not be in the NFL. Kyle Williams can hardly catch, inexplicably falls down when he does, and is a train wreck receiving kicks. Marlon Moore is Marlon Less. Nobody is sweating Jon Baldwin, Chris Harper and Quinton Patton. This is another area — like the secondary — that should have been taken seriously in the offseason. Signing Boldin was a good start, even though he has been unable to get open the last two games. The return of Vernon Davis and Crabtree will help, but it might be too late. Who is our slot receiver? Who is our deep threat?
• The running game has run into a wall. Gore is great running through traffic, but even he can't run through a wall of unblocked lineman and linebackers. LameMichael James was great in college, but he is not a Pro running back. He runs in circles not forward. Not sure why he is not utilized as a kick returner and situational back who catches out of the backfield where he can operate in the open, like Sproles.
• The play calling and approach on offense is really suspect.
• Terrible. Maybe the worst in the NFL with punt and kick-off return. Their performance in the Colts game was an embarrassment .
• This team believed all the hype about itself. They go into Seattle dismissing the opponent the "Shehawks", and summarily get their tails kicked. They needed the Seahawks asswhooping as a wake-up call, and the Colts drubbing as proof that the Seahawks game was no fluke. We'll now see if this team has the heart and will of a champion. I don't think they do, but I will be glad to surprised. Right now, I see no fire and no pride. It's too bad that guys like Frank Gore and Justin Smith have to play with teammates that fold like lawn chairs. They deserve better, and so do the fans.