LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Is our Offensive (stubborn) approach this way BECAUSE of our defense? or what the coaches

Shop Find 49ers gear online
thought our defense was going to be this going into this season?

ok bare with me here.

we ran a control offense a couple of years ago, like others have pointed out. We would run, run, pass....punt... then get a turnover great field position, FG. rinse and repeat.

during that time our defense was averaging like 2-3 turnovers a game I swear. And Andy Lee was playing at an All Pro level.

with our personnel, teams couldn't run the ball on us (tackles like Franklin, Sop)....they were one dimensional and our defense teed off. Also turnovers were coming from fumbles and INTs. We would win close games...rarely winning by 14 or more pts.

Do you think the Coaches have abandoned that ball control conservative approach, because they didn't believe going into this season that the defense is the same? That we would not get turnovers left and right? (i'm sure they didn't think Reid would seem like a ball hawk already)

against the Packers (underhandedly so) the defense gave up points...we came out passing...looking for big plays. Against the Seahawks, again they have ran well against us before, so again it seemed like we tried fancy stuff to try to score quickly.

and today against the Colts, even when we showed we could run the ball well, we still abandoned that and seemed to look for big plays...and before you knew it, we were forced to look for big plays (just like the Seahawks game) Pass rushers have teed off on us lately as well...knowing we are in passing situations.

these weird toss running plays make it seem like they are looking for big gains, instead of trying to just run forward and get 4 yards...but in turn we are losing 3-4 yards.

I think it was Phill Sims or someone who said they spoke to Greg Roman and asked about the tough start to the season....and Roman said something like he felt that by after game 3 we would have an idea about what we needed to do. So I'm wondering if the coaches felt we needed to try to score on these playoff teams with great QBs...and took that approach with the playcalling and formations....mainly in thinking that we could not rely on the turnovers and special teams from 2011-2012.

remember I think it was the Ravens game on Thanksgiving night, that kind of showed how you could beat us.. I pointed it out back then. But it was don't turn the ball over and don't take sacks or penalties...and just be patient. Back then our defense and discipline (not getting penalties ourselves) was top notch.

But now our defense and discipline is not top notch.....as far as our defense, that can be attributed to the offense not moving the ball putting up points and giving our defense a rest...but what about the discipline?

I personally think that we'll be forced to go back to the old style, which is great...as long as we sprinkle in playaction plays on 1st and 2nd downs here and there.
Good post. Our defense has played very well the past couple of weeks. Our play calling coupled with our injuries ( Crabs, Davis, james) and not committing to the run are hurting us right now. I think today was a wake up call for the coaching staff. We will be much better going forward I believe with a lot more running and play action passing.
if we don't run the ball and get screens going and beat them deep on certain plays like everyone outside of the coaching office knows we should do

then they're trolling the team at this point and need to be put on timeout.

we could easily be 3-0 if we would simply run the ball. and this one is worse because we had a drive that was crap throwing.

and then we ran the ball and drove right down for a td.

and then decided to not do it again for the rest of the game..

that's alarming and doesn't make sense on any level.

the defense played excellent in seattle. it was 5-0 for an entire half and they only gave up 3 of those.

and they got an int and blocked a punt to put us right into the red zone.

it was 12-3 in the 4th and we had the ball.

today they held them to 10 for a half and 13 through 3 quarters... they got the offense the ball back so many times and held so many times and the offense just gave it back.

like i said. if they don't change the offense which they could EASILY DO

then they're trolling and decisions need to be made

roman already messed up a golden chance at an improbably super bowl ring with his genius

now he's going to mess up an entire new season?

id' rather be a jags fan than a 49ers fan if we're going to allow roman to screw us over at least the jags don't have talent so they know they can't win.

we have the talent and are squandering it which is a million times more frustrating
Are you asking if JH is leaning on the defense to help develop Kap?

For example, JH is ok with rapid 3 n outs because he knows our def can get the ball back and he wants Kap to learn something out there.

If that's the question, then I say I don't know.

On one hand, I feel like we plain and simply just aren't playing to our strengths. We aren't scheming guys open. Running Gore. Ect ect.
On the other hand, do i think JH is arrogant enough to throw caution to the wind to make sure his guy gets all the love? He'll yes I do.

Sadly, time will tell. Unfortunately I feel the clock is ticking way to fast and we fans are gonna be left holding the bag.
Originally posted by 4t9ers:

For example, JH is ok with rapid 3 n outs because he knows our def can get the ball back and he wants Kap to learn something out there.

On one hand, I feel like we plain and simply just aren't playing to our strengths. We aren't scheming guys open. Running Gore. Ect ect.
On the other hand, do i think JH is arrogant enough to throw caution to the wind to make sure his guy gets all the love? He'll yes I do.

Sadly, time will tell. Unfortunately I feel the clock is ticking way to fast and we fans are gonna be left holding the bag.

no, the opposite actually.

basically.. going into this season they didn't think our defense can hold offenses....mainly if we took the old approach of ball controlled offense when you rely on great defense and special teams. So they instead are looking for big plays early on, be it running or passing..to get leads and make it easier on our defense.

so they abandoned the hard nose running approach of running right at them and punching them in the mouf...for instead calling potential big run plays that look exotic, but really are just putting us in tougher passing situations.

And then there is passing for big plays with Kap...instead of taking what the defenses give us and constantly trying to move forward, or just punting the ball if need be...but atleast be manageable situations.
this is the season harbaugh showcase his defense expertise to the league, so its important to tune down the offense a little.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 4t9ers:

no, the opposite actually.

basically.. going into this season they didn't think our defense can hold offenses....mainly if we took the old approach of ball controlled offense when you rely on great defense and special teams. So they instead are looking for big plays early on, be it running or passing..to get leads and make it easier on our defense.

so they abandoned the hard nose running approach of running right at them and punching them in the mouf...for instead calling potential big run plays that look exotic, but really are just putting us in tougher passing situations.

And then there is passing for big plays with Kap...instead of taking what the defenses give us and constantly trying to move forward, or just punting the ball if need be...but atleast be manageable situations.

Oh ok.

I don't think JH thought/thinks that about the defense. If anything, he's probably letting Kap sling it because he knows the defense CAN get the ball back.

Obviously then, the question becomes, how long can the defense keep it up before injuries/fatigue/demoralization set it in.
Share 49ersWebzone