There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Offense that can't sustain drives will end up killing our defense, no matter how good. The defense did well for about 3 qtrs. Then as expected gassed and tanked in the 4th. We can see it coming around the corner yesterday. Harbaugh needs to not let Kaep's frustration gets out of hand.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ and that goes for the defense too. Hell, they kept Indy to 13 even into the 4th quarter. They can't sustain that if the offense sucks putrid arse.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all of this part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

even when rested, this defense misses more tackles this year than they have in the last two years. i thought without goldson around here, the team would stop making drive extending penalties. now yes i realize it is mainly because the refs do not like our team(good lord) but we are just not a smart football team right now, from coaches to players

Read it again.... ^^^^^
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Thursday will tell us a lot about the 2013 49ers team.
1. How the team responds/rallies after back to back losses, some injuries, and some tension in the locker room.
2. How will Kaepernick respond after 2 bad games. He is still young and this should tell us a lot about him. We all know Wrs cant get open so how will he create offense and move the team down the field.
3. Who steps up as leaders, and who steps up to fill in for key players (Willis, Aldon,etc).

We all know the Rams are not a team to take lightly, especially in their buidling. With all the NFL "experts" on TV now pointing out our problems and knocking us down in the rankings, its on the team to use that as motivation to step it up. Just cause we were a superbowl favorite before season started doesnt mean teams are going to roll over for you.
sunday should have told us about this team, coming off a embarrassing blowout loss on national tv, coming back home there is no excuse for the putrid display of football put on sunday. maybe sunday did tell us about this team. hope not. lot of things to fix before thursday. when a team is as wounded as we are, they are usually dangerous when backed into a corner. we shall see. the rams always play well vs us and if they smell blood in the water and we show up in a daze, well it may be ugly early and often
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
^ and that goes for the defense too. Hell, they kept Indy to 13 even into the 4th quarter. They can't sustain that if the offense sucks putrid arse.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all of this part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

even when rested, this defense misses more tackles this year than they have in the last two years. i thought without goldson around here, the team would stop making drive extending penalties. now yes i realize it is mainly because the refs do not like our team(good lord) but we are just not a smart football team right now, from coaches to players

Read it again.... ^^^^^
we miss to many tackles , we give other teams huge holes in the middle of the field,, we make to many penalties. all this when we are well rested. and we have razor thin depth along the line and its getting that way in the linebacker department
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Just to pile onto this, for the second week in a row our corners are being flagged for things that the opposing secondary is being praised for.

The example I'm thinking of is Carlos Rogers jamming a receiver within five yards, Luck throws and bounces it off the receivers head and a flag is thrown. Meanwhile, they how highlights of the colts doing the same damn thing, mixed in with arm-barring receivers past five yards, and we hear thing like "look at the blanket coverage".

I'm all for corners being able to play physical. What I am against is calling it so glaringly one-sided.
built in excuses in my opinion. we are amongst the league leaders in penalties and it certainly is not because there is some sinister plan against the niners. what is so wrong with admitting we are not a good football team in many areas and the refs have nothing to do with it.

I don't think there is a plan to screw the niners. I do think they're being watched more for it. I find it hard to believe that for two games now our receivers have been "blanketed" without so much as a hold called.

With that said, there's no use continuing to complain about it because it's not going to change.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
LOL.

I guess I should have stated it differently.

Frank wasn't the problem in this game....but I think Hunter needs the ball more. Much more burst in his step. Frank had a good day today on limited carries and should probably have gotten the ball more in the second half.

Sorry...after rereading it sounds differently than I had intended.
Agree, Hunter needs to get more carries. It look like Gore was taking himself out of the game almost after every carry. Not bashing on Gore but they need a few others to step up and carry this team for a while. Hopefully they will be Crabtree and Manningham back for the second half of the year and will not be out of it by then.
1. How the team responds/rallies after back to back losses, some injuries, and some tension in the locker room.
2. How will Kaepernick respond after 2 bad games. He is still young and this should tell us a lot about him. We all know Wrs cant get open so how will he create offense and move the team down the field.
3. Who steps up as leaders, and who steps up to fill in for key players (Willis, Aldon,etc).

We all know the Rams are not a team to take lightly, especially in their buidling. With all the NFL "experts" on TV now pointing out our problems and knocking us down in the rankings, its on the team to use that as motivation to step it up. Just cause we were a superbowl favorite before season started doesnt mean teams are going to roll over for you.
sunday should have told us about this team, coming off a embarrassing blowout loss on national tv, coming back home there is no excuse for the putrid display of football put on sunday. maybe sunday did tell us about this team. hope not. lot of things to fix before thursday. when a team is as wounded as we are, they are usually dangerous when backed into a corner. we shall see. the rams always play well vs us and if they smell blood in the water and we show up in a daze, well it may be ugly early and often

Thursday will tell us how far the team has fallen. Because there could be more before we are s**t face hitting the bottom.
we miss to many tackles , we give other teams huge holes in the middle of the field,, we make to many penalties. all this when we are well rested. and we have razor thin depth along the line and its getting that way in the linebacker department

DUDE. what you are doing is called misdirection... you want to point to other aspects that may or may not be an issue at times, but are far from the main issue.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Not just one series of run blocking. When an opposing D guesses right, they will stuff your run blocks with outnumbering you. Our O has been more and more predictable, and teams are not fearing the great Kaep-arm as many expected them to.

As for receivers getting open, these guys were mainly single covered... so why isn't Kaep giving them a chance or throwing them open, I ask ya?

i do not know,, that is why i use terms like "unable or unwilling" and "for whatever reason". i do not know the reasons why all of a sudden we look lost as a offense. part of it can be traced by to the fat moron in the upstairs booth but thats just me and teams have taken the run from CK. now if the niners brain trust were so arrogant in the off season to think teams would not adjust to that, well then they deserve what they get in regards to critical comments and thoughts from the media and fan base

Kind of a head scratching situation right now, this is a team with the same personnel (largely) its had over its dominant past 3 years in the NFC. They could blow out the Rams or get blown out again at this point, but clearly something is rotten in the state of Denmark. heh.

On the positive side:
- Bruce Miller played well yesterday, particularly in run blocking.
- Alex Boone. Quietly, the best lineman we have right now.
- Glenn Dorsey. He's turning out to be a fantastic pickup for the 49ers right now. He's playing good football.
- Ahmad Brooks. What's interesting about him is he always seems to be the steady guy. Can rush the passer, stop the run, he's been a consistent performer for us.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Really disappointing game.

We trotted out the same gameplan as we did the previous 2 games after Green Bay showed the way to beat us, if their secondary had been better we would have lost that game. We can't run this gameplan with WR that cannot get free of coverage.

Need to drop some special team aces and a WR and maybe a NT in immediately.

Also, can anyone telll me why Marlon moore is in the team?? He was identified as a starter in training camp by the coahces, barely played any pre-season and has been invisible these 3 games. At least Hawkins was making plays.

I also think Goodwin has had his day, he's another invisible guy out there, he's not noticeable in pass protection or run blocking. Our O-line has looked bad this season and Kap has been under pressure an awful lot these last 2 games.

Not a good day for Kap, but he's getting calls from Roman that are useless - trying to open a passing game without any worthwhile WR outside Boldin. We cut them with the run and then abandoned it 2nd half. I also noticed that we opened with a lot of pass plays which p[uts us in the hole right away if we can;t connect. I think NCommand noticed this last game, our first down yardage is awful. Roman is paiting us in a corner, trying to pass on 1st down with a WR core not up to the task, which then forces us into a short yardage run on 2nd or another pass attempt.

MO to beat yus at the moment is 8 in the box and man coverage on WR. WR won't get open and Roman won't scheme screens or short slants, nor bunch the receivers. I had concerns last year about some of his game plans and it's worse this year. 8 in the box with disciplined assignments and you stop the read option and Gore, other teams know our passing game now is a real weakness and if they have a good secondary they will be confident of winning.

We struggled last year against goood teams and beat up some average/poor ones and we overlooked his ineptitude against good defenses because we had some big scores against suspect defenses. I'll say Kap didn't have a good game, but he also had absolutely nothing to work with and a game plan that should get Greg Roman fired (again).

You already hit on several observations I haven't even posted yet! Haha...good eye!

Couple quick ones:
  1. Goodwin is done. Kilgore SHOULD have been given the start from day 1, Goodwin cut for monster savings on the cap and Looney should have had a real opportunity to compete there instead at LG. Looney is a MUCH better C than G in watching him closely this past pre season. Just wait until Staley or Davis go down...I don't even want to think about THAT!
  2. HaRoMan. Enough. This is some of THE worst play calling I have ever seen on ANY level of football. On a critical 3rd down your option is a deep seam route to Celek, a guy who is passed to once every five games? And stop with the "we're always looking deep" points. Ummm, fans, we've passed ONE deep pass in THREE games and VD faked a hammy pull on it (INT). The defenses are simply stacking the box ala the Alex-days and playing 15 yards in because we DON'T have one single deep threat (well, actually, we fail to use that personnel package). Everyone knows the play calling is beyond compartmentalized and as a result, we never stick with what does work and we rarely have a "flow." Plays are always in late. This is a college offense. Period. I've called it the anti-WCO for years and that is exactly the issue here. I challenge you to watch our passing routes...just watch the WR routes. Watch how basic and vanilla they are. I don't care if you're Calvin Johnson, these are THE easiest routes to defend esp. with zero fear of a deep ball...ever!
    Kaepernick. This dude is starting to look like Jeff Garcia out there but w/o the completions. He's running INTO pass rushers ala Alex Smith. It's fair b/c the pass blocking is so unpredictable (and always has been, really). He gets outside and naturally, the field is cut into a 1/3rd and everyone is covered often and he is blind to anyone under 10 yards or BADLY misses them when he does throw to them. He's rattled. Harbaugh is a QB guru right? Riiiight. We're about to find out.
  3. John-up. It's time to cut the college offense OC and get back to a real WCO-style. This is what we are best built for. This means Jim is going to have to take a page out of John's book and fire his OC before this entire team implodes. Who? That's not up to me! I'd also put Fangio on red-alert and his defense has been shelled against the same kinds of teams for two straight years now (against power running teams) and like his past pattern, he seems to be getting worse and worse. No longer can they shut down a team for an entire game while an offense struggles. And how's that rotation coming along Fangio? You wonder why everyone is getting hurt? It's b/c our 3-and-out offense has forced our defense to play 6-games worth of snaps already. They are ALL tired and beat up. And it's only week 3. Sad! You are one stubborn SOB.
  4. Baalke. Dude, one word - "Wilfork." I warned you in my Team Needs thread we needed a genuine two-gap NT and a serious rotation there AND would consider running a pure 4 and 5-man DL against power running teams ala the Packers in their triple-fatty-rotation. Instead you guy with micro-one-gap-NT's and force Justin inside to make up for it? To counter, smart teams just run right at Justin/Aldon with plenty of success and completely eliminate their pass rush. Brilliant. Everything in the 3-4 starts with the NT! I already noted the piss poor pattern we have with runs right up the gut in short yardage and goal line situations for years now. Need more recent evidence of how it also affect the passing defense? Wilson's 51 yard bomb on Whitner was a result of, yet again, excellent pressure on the outside but NOBODY in the step-up lane collapsing the pocket.
  5. Secondary minus Reid - You all know how I feel about Whitner (crap call though). But both Brown and Rogers are just pussies. The good news is that as a result, Reid will probably end up with DROY.
  6. Injuries. We had 1 coming into Seattle, now we have what, 14? The Rams game is a must-win as we "may" have some reserves coming back after week 6 that could contribute/help. My bigger issue is, will this coaching staff actually use them? Even with all these injuries we HAVE plenty of talent sitting on the bench.
  7. Fans. Hang in there...the bigger perspective here is that aside from Seatle, everyone in the NFC absolutely blows as well (or at least areb't winning either). Even if we do lose the next two games, we seriously still have a chance here. But to be fair, we have some real problems here and it starts at the top. It's not like we have been unlucky and we're losing by a FG. We are getting smashed at our old-game-style and our coaches haen't figured out how to properly game plan or adjust and use our personnel to their best abilities...now add on the injuries and team distractions, it COULD implode and implode quickly. THIS is when we find out what real character is all about. Hang in there!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I don't think there is a plan to screw the niners. I do think they're being watched more for it. I find it hard to believe that for two games now our receivers have been "blanketed" without so much as a hold called.

With that said, there's no use continuing to complain about it because it's not going to change.

i think we grab because we are not a very good football team right now in terms of executing the basics and tackling well. i also think we have a bunch of wide outs cept for 81 who are unable or unwilling to get open, no matter what type of a game is being called from the refs. we also have a quarterback that looks lost out there.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Kind of a head scratching situation right now, this is a team with the same personnel (largely) its had over its dominant past 3 years in the NFC. They could blow out the Rams or get blown out again at this point, but clearly something is rotten in the state of Denmark. heh.

On the positive side:
- Glenn Dorsey. He's turning out to be a fantastic pickup for the 49ers right now. He's playing good football.
- Ahmad Brooks. What's interesting about him is he always seems to be the steady guy. Can rush the passer, stop the run, he's been a consistent performer for us.
sure am glad we did not get any hurts on the d line and looks like ray made it ok but still worried about depth there. bruce miller should have more chances to run block but of course the run was working so roman and Jh decided to run away from the run. of course
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:

On the positive side:
forgot to add in there reid doing well again,. you know you are having a team loss when lee is off his game
Our receivers are not scaring anybody and the formula to beat our offense is becoming apparent. Kap looking down field with nowhere to throw it and then predictably having to try and run it as a last ditch is eventually going to end horribly.

I am also bothered that Colin hasn't been playing to Boldins strong points. I was hoping Kap could adjust to throwing the ball up and letting Boldin go get it. Boldin was basically Baltimores mvp through the entire playoffs and the superbowl. I was salivating when we signed him thinking we would use him like they did with the Ravens.

Gore is fighting for inches with a lot of heart but when even that is not enough we are becoming transparently one dimensional. It almost looks like our offense has no clue with the plays they are using and instead they are just simply "trying" stuff. No clear game plan that I can see.
The hurry up offense thing they have been trying doesn't seem to work. I mean we can't even get the snap off in time running routine plays let alone trying to run this no huddle stuff out of the blue.

All the praise this team has got recently has put a target on their backs and coupled with injuries they seem to have lost motivation.

The missed tackles are confusing. On special teams and defense we can't seem to stop anybody without missing 3 tackles first.

All this has been on my mind a lot lately even before this game or the last one so sorry if I am all over the place or overlooking things with this post.