There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
All the Alex Smith love is ridiculous. Smitty would have gotten destroyed out there yesterday too. Our WR's are terrible and nobody was getting open. Smitty might have played better than Kaep yesterday but lets be honest here. Alex Smith isn't scaring anyone on any Sunday. Yeah he's 3-0 but the Chiefs defense has a lot to do with that. Hali and Houston are arguably the best one two punch at pass rush in the entire league. Smitty can afford to small ball and check down all game because the opposing offenses are getting beat up.

JUST STOP. We are NOT going to get into a debate about this. We could trash each other left and right with many valid opinions across the board but this is not the kind of talk we need right now. Get this BS out of here and STOP fueling the CK vs. Smith debate.

Oh, come on. Have a little fun. Alex Smith 3-0, Kaep 1-2. I'd still take Kaep any day, but come on, it's funny.

I think at its core teams are finally starting to understand Kaep's and Roman's tendencies in addition to figure out how to defend the 49ers. Simply put, the 49ers receivers haven't beat the jam yet and teams have adjusted to that. For Kaepernick, he tends to hold the ball looking downfield for too long. In some instances, this is fantastic, but in others it is devastating. Remember that Saints playoff game from a few years back? The 49ers scouted Brees and recognized he looks downfield too much. As such, they covered downfield and left the underneath stuff. Now, of course Brees adjusted, but Kaep hasn't yet.

I'll admit I am not a football guy, I haven't ever played at any level, but it sure feels to me that scheme is at least part of the problem. Teams have adjusted to the 49ers, but we don't appear to have changed anything we're doing. WR's continue to be blanketed, defenders are loading the box, and we keep seeing the same vanilla offense. It might work if we had guys on the outside who could beat their man, but they can't, so some slight alterations are needed. Maybe it's as simple as going against tendency on certain downs, different formations, packages, etc, that don't constitute a major overhaul.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So what can we look forward to during the week, for me three things:

1. Sign/trade for another DT/NT for a quick patch.

2. WR position shaken up, remove Kyle Williams as the #2 receiver.

3. Jonathan Baldwin activated or moved up the depth chart, his size will create mismatches. Besides hes got way more experience as a starter than Williams.

I'd be very pleased to see one of these three things taken care of.
number one should have been done last week, you got nothing to lose by doing number three or number two. do we also need a backer due to aldons vacancy and the injury to patrick?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
The Colts COULD NOT STOP THE RUN and we refused to stick with the running game.

of course this is the truth,, and if the rumors that gore is upset with Jh ,,well he has a point.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Ballistic:
Originally posted by RealShaloop:
Lol all the same people freaking out will completely forget these last 2 games once we destroy the Rams.

#bandwagonfans
yes, because it'll be that easy--- the Niners will just walk into St. Louis and run up the score? remember what happened last year? not the sharpest tool in the shed

Exactly. This game TERRIFIES me because the Rams are another team that Kaepernick has had serious problems with. If we win, I think it'll be barely.

Cowboys just smashed the Rams by 25+. Been reading all over this board that the Cowboys are a s**tty, beatable team. Rams should be easy.

Not easy with the way we've been playing. And going into St. Louis on a short week.

I don't even recognize this 49ers team. Where is the run defense? Where are the great linebackers? Where is the talented offensive line? Where is the young stud qb? Where is the terrific coaching staff and the great gameplanning? Where is the fire, tenacity, passion, and domination that we were so accustomed to seeing on defense?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Not easy with the way we've been playing. And going into St. Louis on a short week.

I don't even recognize this 49ers team. Where is the run defense? Where are the great linebackers? Where is the talented offensive line? Where is the young stud qb? Where is the terrific coaching staff and the great gameplanning? Where is the fire, tenacity, passion, and domination that we were so accustomed to seeing on defense?
this times infinity. everything which went right is now the total oppositie
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So what can we look forward to during the week, for me three things:

1. Sign/trade for another DT/NT for a quick patch.

2. WR position shaken up, remove Kyle Williams as the #2 receiver.

3. Jonathan Baldwin activated or moved up the depth chart, his size will create mismatches. Besides hes got way more experience as a starter than Williams.

I'd be very pleased to see one of these three things taken care of.
number one should have been done last week, you got nothing to lose by doing number three or number two. do we also need a backer due to aldons vacancy and the injury to patrick?

Sounds like a good plan. Also add a backer, trade for a wide receiver, and look into adding another corner or activating Eric Wright. Obviously all of this may not be realistic, but it is things we need to look at. And tell our coaching staff to get their heads out of their asses.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
What's with the refs calling some ticky tack stuff on us. I don't want to deflect the poor play on our part, but a couple very bad calls today completely benefited the Colts BIG TIME.

The first one was the helmet to helmet called on Whitner. The guy does everything textbook and gets called. If the NFL is serious about stopping helmet to helmet hits, they need to make the calls where they throw a flag reviewable. They cannot keep punishing players that lead with a shoulder against offensive players lowering their head. It sickens me that football has come to this. Anyway, this play gave the Colts ample momentum to march down the field on the opening drive. It left a bad taste in my mouth that stayed throughout the game.

The other call that stuck out was the defensive holding call on third down in the fourth quarter when we were only down by 6 (IIRC). This call took all the air out of our balloon. It was so ridiculous that after the announcers looked at the replay that had Rogers supposedly holding a player, they concluded that it must have been Bowman or Wilhoite holding a guy since they couldn't find the perp on screen. Not too mention the ref couldn't even point out which player it was when announcing the call. For f**ks sake, at least tell us which player you thought had hold so we could try and find it in slo-mo replay. Still, no guarantee we score a TD or make a game out of it, but we cannot overcome the refs jobbing us at home.

And really, were the Colts so goddamned clean they only accrued one penalty? That very well may have been the case, but it just seems that all the chips were stacked in their favor, on our field.

Anyway, sorry for the diatribe. I don't like being that guy who blames the refs. God only knows we have enough issues that led to the loss. But the momentum changing calls sure don't help.

I have to wonder if some of these refs just flat out don't like our team for obvious reasons. They aren't robots, after all.
This is a big concern of mine. We're at HOME right? As in "home field advantage." It's not just the calls but WHEN they occur (and the type of calls)...right out of the gate on us and at the end of the game when Indy was driving to end the game (both leading to 14 total points). I'm completely sure at this juncture the refs hate Jim Harbaugh (or the refs are instructed as such to "lean" one way or another). There is just too much evidence at this point. B/c these aren't your average ticky-tack penalties. These are game-breakers that affect clear momentum and the overall outcome of a game. The Superbowl was the most well-documented as such and there is a clear pattern here now. Last week it was the 40-yard P.I. on Nnamdi. Now, I understand, we're gunned for and we'll have to overcome the odds no matter who is calling the game but at this juncture, there seems to be a clear pattern/culture now. Both Whitner and Nnamdi are well-liked, established veterans and they aren't even getting calls. It's much worse when you watch other games. Something clearly is going on here...
This isn't meant to deter from the "other" stuff but just wanted to point that out here.

Just to pile onto this, for the second week in a row our corners are being flagged for things that the opposing secondary is being praised for.

The example I'm thinking of is Carlos Rogers jamming a receiver within five yards, Luck throws and bounces it off the receivers head and a flag is thrown. Meanwhile, they how highlights of the colts doing the same damn thing, mixed in with arm-barring receivers past five yards, and we hear thing like "look at the blanket coverage".

I'm all for corners being able to play physical. What I am against is calling it so glaringly one-sided.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you have success running the ball, so what do you do? you go away from it and try to pass the ball which is something that ck and the wide outs clearly can not do right now, for whatever reason.. you have three and outs, the defense which already struggles to tackle at times and makes to many mistakes has to get back on the field. but what the hell, roman got a pay raise and extension so what the hell do i know. roman must be allergic to running the ball in situations where he clearly should. we all know where i trace that back to
The OL has been the same solid bunch. They deserve better than to get thrown under the bus.
Thursday will tell us a lot about the 2013 49ers team.
1. How the team responds/rallies after back to back losses, some injuries, and some tension in the locker room.
2. How will Kaepernick respond after 2 bad games. He is still young and this should tell us a lot about him. We all know Wrs cant get open so how will he create offense and move the team down the field.
3. Who steps up as leaders, and who steps up to fill in for key players (Willis, Aldon,etc).

We all know the Rams are not a team to take lightly, especially in their buidling. With all the NFL "experts" on TV now pointing out our problems and knocking us down in the rankings, its on the team to use that as motivation to step it up. Just cause we were a superbowl favorite before season started doesnt mean teams are going to roll over for you.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Just to pile onto this, for the second week in a row our corners are being flagged for things that the opposing secondary is being praised for.

The example I'm thinking of is Carlos Rogers jamming a receiver within five yards, Luck throws and bounces it off the receivers head and a flag is thrown. Meanwhile, they how highlights of the colts doing the same damn thing, mixed in with arm-barring receivers past five yards, and we hear thing like "look at the blanket coverage".

I'm all for corners being able to play physical. What I am against is calling it so glaringly one-sided.
built in excuses in my opinion. we are amongst the league leaders in penalties and it certainly is not because there is some sinister plan against the niners. what is so wrong with admitting we are not a good football team in many areas and the refs have nothing to do with it.
^ and that goes for the defense too. Hell, they kept Indy to 13 even into the 4th quarter. They can't sustain that if the offense sucks putrid arse.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The OL has been the same solid bunch. They deserve better than to get thrown under the bus.

i am not going to reward them for run blocking in one series yesterday the way they should have done in all three games. pass protection has been good, either the wide outs are unable or unwilling to get open or ck holds the ball to long and makes bad decisions. the coaches of course f**ked up by going away from the run. at the risk of garnering the rath of the webzone wolves who drink the bathwater of the coaches,, roman is a f**king moron for going away from the run and of course just as he should have in the super bowl last year, JH should have whacked roman over the head with the clipboard and taken over play calling duties. three incomplete passes, punt. lovely
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ and that goes for the defense too. Hell, they kept Indy to 13 even into the 4th quarter. They can't sustain that if the offense sucks putrid arse.

even when rested, this defense misses more tackles this year than they have in the last two years. i thought without goldson around here, the team would stop making drive extending penalties. now yes i realize it is mainly because the refs do not like our team(good lord) but we are just not a smart football team right now, from coaches to players
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am not going to reward them for run blocking in one series yesterday the way they should have done in all three games. pass protection has been good, either the wide outs are unable or unwilling to get open or ck holds the ball to long and makes bad decisions. the coaches of course f**ked up by going away from the run. at the risk of garnering the rath of the webzone wolves who drink the bathwater of the coaches,, roman is a f**king moron for going away from the run and of course just as he should have in the super bowl last year, JH should have whacked roman over the head with the clipboard and taken over play calling duties. three incomplete passes, punt. lovely

Not just one series of run blocking. When an opposing D guesses right, they will stuff your run blocks with outnumbering you. Our O has been more and more predictable, and teams are not fearing the great Kaep-arm as many expected them to.

As for receivers getting open, these guys were mainly single covered... so why isn't Kaep giving them a chance or throwing them open, I ask ya?