LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

HOLY SH*T! How I miss this offense.. balance offense makes perfect offense.

We are all missing this type of offense big time.

This and many other games that season proved Kap doesn't need gimmicks to be successful. He can run a traditional offense. That was against a very good defensive team known for playing tight coverage as well.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
So what can we look forward to during the week, for me three things:

1. Sign/trade for another DT/NT for a quick patch.

2. WR position shaken up, remove Kyle Williams as the #2 receiver.

3. Jonathan Baldwin activated or moved up the depth chart, his size will create mismatches. Besides hes got way more experience as a starter than Williams.

I'd be very pleased to see one of these three things taken care of.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

HOLY SH*T! How I miss this offense.. balance offense makes perfect offense.

We are all missing this type of offense big time.

This and many other games that season proved Kap doesn't need gimmicks to be successful. He can run a traditional offense. That was against a very good defensive team known for playing tight coverage as well.

1st time to watch this. I was there but hard to remember everything when you get a game like this was, but YES play like this. They don't look like the same teams at all right now. Incredible..
Originally posted by Kolohe:

3. Jonathan Baldwin activated or moved up the depth chart, his size will create mismatches. Besides hes got way more experience as a starter than Williams.

Agreed on all points! We can only hope they make concrete changes...
This week is a must win at St. Louis. If the 49ers go down again and the Seasnorks somehow win at Houston, the 49ers will be three behind. They will definitely not make up that much ground.
Originally posted by RealShaloop:
Lol all the same people freaking out will completely forget these last 2 games once we destroy the Rams.

#bandwagonfans

Ha. Destroy the Rams? Did you watch the game? There's no way in hell we "destroy the Rams." #1, short week. #2, this team is about to lose all confidence in their coaching staff. #3, implosion.
If we trot out the same football team we did the past 2 weeks, the Rams will kick our ass.

none will happen

none will happen
One thing I want to add. Maybe this is what this team needs. Last 2 years we had a first round bye with home game the 2nd round. Maybe this year we can be that hot team going into the playoffs with Crabtree, Manningham, etc back and win the SB this year. Of course there is a lot to work on but maybe this is the adversity we needed to get things turned around. I don't think it's all Frank's fault (i know you said it wasnt marvin) as we need to get back to our creative 2011 running game with all our formations and pulls. I agree though we need to see more of a mix with Hunter and not just on outside pitches as seems like teams know that is coming when Hunter is in the game? P.S. When is the last time we seen a counter or a jet sweep?

I agree with Kolohe. If they don't think Carradine and Dial will be back this year we need to sign or trade a DL. Dobbs and Jerod-Eddie are not good backups. If Cleveland is selling for the right price I'd look at Ahtyba Rubin or Phil Taylor. Not to mention Josh Gordon. I know he has problems but we might have to take that risk. Especially if they don't expect Manningham back week 7. Little is ok but is mainly a possession guy and not sure if he can get separation which is what we need now.

Edit: Nevermind on Rubin he is making 6 mil and don't think we have the room for that without restructuring or trading a high price player. Gordon, Little, Taylor will work because all on less than 1 mil rookie salaries.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM ]

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Really disappointing game.

We trotted out the same gameplan as we did the previous 2 games after Green Bay showed the way to beat us, if their secondary had been better we would have lost that game. We can't run this gameplan with WR that cannot get free of coverage.

Need to drop some special team aces and a WR and maybe a NT in immediately.

Also, can anyone telll me why Marlon moore is in the team?? He was identified as a starter in training camp by the coahces, barely played any pre-season and has been invisible these 3 games. At least Hawkins was making plays.

I also think Goodwin has had his day, he's another invisible guy out there, he's not noticeable in pass protection or run blocking. Our O-line has looked bad this season and Kap has been under pressure an awful lot these last 2 games.

Not a good day for Kap, but he's getting calls from Roman that are useless - trying to open a passing game without any worthwhile WR outside Boldin. We cut them with the run and then abandoned it 2nd half. I also noticed that we opened with a lot of pass plays which p[uts us in the hole right away if we can;t connect. I think NCommand noticed this last game, our first down yardage is awful. Roman is paiting us in a corner, trying to pass on 1st down with a WR core not up to the task, which then forces us into a short yardage run on 2nd or another pass attempt.

MO to beat yus at the moment is 8 in the box and man coverage on WR. WR won't get open and Roman won't scheme screens or short slants, nor bunch the receivers. I had concerns last year about some of his game plans and it's worse this year. 8 in the box with disciplined assignments and you stop the read option and Gore, other teams know our passing game now is a real weakness and if they have a good secondary they will be confident of winning.

We struggled last year against goood teams and beat up some average/poor ones and we overlooked his ineptitude against good defenses because we had some big scores against suspect defenses. I'll say Kap didn't have a good game, but he also had absolutely nothing to work with and a game plan that should get Greg Roman fired (again).
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Ummmmm yes he did

He missed Hunter in the flat with NO ONE around within 20 yards.

He missed Kyle Williams deep when he hit Boldin on an identical route.

He missed Vance McDonald twice and threw at open receivers feet most of the day.

No way around it brother...he stunk up the state of California today.

This, he missed a lot of throws. He may be the turd out of the three, Wilson, RGIII and Keep.
Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Ummmmm yes he did

He missed Hunter in the flat with NO ONE around within 20 yards.

He missed Kyle Williams deep when he hit Boldin on an identical route.

He missed Vance McDonald twice and threw at open receivers feet most of the day.

No way around it brother...he stunk up the state of California today.

And he hardly bothered with open check downs all game and if he did it was a horrible pass.

Agreed. I think Marvin is saying he didn't "overthrow or underthrow receivers that were wide open downfield" but he DEFINITELY COMPLETELY IGNORED wide open outlets ALL DAY. It was MADDENING. He is not finishing his reads and progressions whatsoever and I can't even begin to understand WHAT THE F he is thinking out there doing so.

CK needs to learn from Alex Smith and take what the defense gives him sometimes instead of running around after everything deep is taken away, just hoping something opens up. He ignores his last progression and instead scrambles around like an imbecile hoping something deep opens up and that is DUMB football.

I LOVE Kaepernick, but good God, he has GOT to get this under control. His footwork has been horrendous, his throws are all over the place and his rocket balls are a lot harder to catch when they aren't on the money so it's going to lead to more drops. He has been consistently throwing the ball at receivers knees, feet, behind them, or above their shoulders. THIS HAS TO STOP. Our defense is playing their butts off. Allowing only 13 points with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter should be PLENTY for us to beat a team... AT HOME.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
I think the saddest thing; is all the A Smith fans/fanatics that can't get off his nuts even though he plays on another team and hasn't taken a snap for the Niners in almost a year. Even though, he only had 1.5 seasons of good football here out of 7 miserable years of play not counting the 1.5. It's enough to make a hardcore Niner fan puke..

I think the saddest thing is all the Kap fans who got blindly excited to get rid of a winning veteran QB mid season and replaced him with a rookie QB who now has to learn on the fly, and rapidly turning this into a rebuilding year for no damn reason. It's enough to make a hardcore niner fan puke..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
I think the saddest thing; is all the A Smith fans/fanatics that can't get off his nuts even though he plays on another team and hasn't taken a snap for the Niners in almost a year. Even though, he only had 1.5 seasons of good football here out of 7 miserable years of play not counting the 1.5. It's enough to make a hardcore Niner fan puke..

I think the saddest thing is all the Kap fans who got blindly excited to get rid of a winning veteran QB mid season and replaced him with a rookie QB who now has to learn on the fly, and rapidly turning this into a rebuilding year for no damn reason. It's enough to make a hardcore niner fan puke..
Share 49ersWebzone